can Some one Teach ME

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 03' Bug Eye 82' Rx7
Question can Some one Teach ME

Well iv'e been reading some posts and usully I can understand the concept of what they are talking about... but I have yet to figure out what "throwing a code" is or "detanation." Now when I read detanation, I think blown motor.

Oh... I am new to Subaru's... just got one like 3 weeks ago... 03' WRX... I'm still use to Honda's...

how do you launch the car? clutch pop? what rpm? so many questions...

Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Throwing a code = when your check engine light comes on. You can get a dealer or certain auto stores to check what code is being triggered.

Detonation = Can lead to a blown motor....but generally is refering to an unwanted explosion of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber caused by excess heat and compression, advanced timing, or an overly lean mixture. Detonation, or "knock", greatly increases the mechanical and thermal stresses on the engine. Also referred to as "ping".

Launching the car....is basically a no-no. The transmission, being linked to an all wheel drive system, does not appreciate the sudden impact of the acceleration and can (will) eventually cost you first gear....

IF you must....the usual recommendation is (someone correct me if wrong) rev to 4000, then slip the clutch out while givig more gas to get up towards 5000rpms. The 2002-2003 have notoriously weak transmissions and do not last long when under extreme abuse (launching)

Last edited by RedStage; 07-07-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by RedStage
Throwing a code = when your check engine light comes on. You can get a dealer or certain auto stores to check what code is being triggered.

Detonation = Can lead to a blown motor....but generally is refering to an unwanted explosion of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber caused by excess heat and compression, advanced timing, or an overly lean mixture. Detonation, or "knock", greatly increases the mechanical and thermal stresses on the engine. Also referred to as "ping".

Launching the car....is basically a no-no. The transmission, being linked to an all wheel drive system, does not appreciate the sudden impact of the acceleration and can (will) eventually cost you first gear....

IF you must....the usual recommendation is (someone correct me if wrong) rev to 4000, then slip the clutch out while givig more gas to get up towards 5000rpms. The 2002-2003 have notoriously weak transmissions and do not last long when under extreme abuse (launching)
4000 seems high, I barely give it gas and slip the clutch from a dead stop. The WRX can actually roll without any gas at all, but it's easy to stall that way.

edit: as a side note, if you aren't used to a manual, best way to shift (excluding from a stop) is to stay totally off the gas while you're using the clutch, that way you won't tear your clutch up, nor will you put undue stress on the driveline.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

I think he is referring to launching as in "drag style" thus the 4000rpms.....
Old 07-07-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RedStage
I think he is referring to launching as in "drag style" thus the 4000rpms.....
yeah, but haven't we seen enough threads about blown transmissions from "launching?"
Old 07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jdepould
yeah, but haven't we seen enough threads about blown transmissions from "launching?"
You would think so
Old 07-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Welcome to i-Club.

There are existing threads on drag strip launches. Some are in the Drag Racing sub-forum while others may be in the Car Lounge. For those who are interested in those discussions, the Search feature is your friend.

For new members, I would also suggest reading the 'stickied' post at the top of this forum entitled, strangely enough, "New Members, Please Read".

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
i agree 4000 is a little high even for a race launch. 3000rpms and ease out the clutch, try not to buck the car and you should have a beautiful awd launch non aggressive launch should be self explanitory but i'd say around 2,000rpms at most just like any other car.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:32 PM

Car Info: My Bikecycle
If you wanna bog launch at 3k, if you want a decent 60ft. i launch at 5k at the track on stock clutch and tranny.... yet to see any problems, all in the driver.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM

Car Info: 99' Legacy GT LTD
Question Legacy GT AUTO

not to but in on the topic, but my wife has a 99 legacy gt, I ran it at the track a few weeks ago, just for the hell of it.... I ran a VERY SAD 17.000 launching at around 5-6k do you guys think if I launched at lower rpm I could run faster? kinda of ah stupid question i guess, but I am still new to this whole AWD deal

BEST RUN out of..... lol like 15 pretty sad but it is a stock auto with 139,000 on it
SORRY I DIDN"T RESIZE!

any suggestion to run quicker would help! Thanks...
Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 AM

resize man!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
lol scanner picture
Old 09-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 WR blue wrx
Originally Posted by importtund
not to but in on the topic, but my wife has a 99 legacy gt, I ran it at the track a few weeks ago, just for the hell of it.... I ran a VERY SAD 17.000 launching at around 5-6k do you guys think if I launched at lower rpm I could run faster? kinda of ah stupid question i guess, but I am still new to this whole AWD deal

BEST RUN out of..... lol like 15 pretty sad but it is a stock auto with 139,000 on it
SORRY I DIDN"T RESIZE!

any suggestion to run quicker would help! Thanks...

well... i think the problem with taking an auto tranny to the track is doing a neutral bomb... that will absolutely annhiliate your tranny... the best way with an auto is to get a beefy torque converter and load up at the line... or try loading up with the stock, but unless your car is built for that kind of stress, most of the parts wont last long...

and launching with a stock wrx tranny will obviously take its toll on the tranny, but launching at about 5500rpms is about right, popping the clutch is a good way to get the wheels to break loose off the line, but its also a good way to put a lot of stress on all the drivetrain parts... and slipping the clutch can wear out your clutch faster, but its less stress on everything else... it's just whatever driving style you like and best suits you... when you abuse your car, things are bound to break, so I figure go out and have fun with your car...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 AM

Car Info: was a 02 wrx now a beast
just play with it. if you are not to worried about your clutch (like you dont mind changing them) just play with your car sliping the clutch try to get it to not do any suden jerks if you feel smooth in your seat chances are you drivetrain is feeling the same. If you are worried about changing your clutch then dont drag race or just expect to run 15's without launching (on a stock wrx ej20t)
Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
buy the new v2 accessport.. and viola 2-step launching