Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

No Ground to Ignition Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
Arrow No Ground to Ignition Coils?

This seems to be the only problem right now with my car, but for some reason the mechanic who is working on the car (a good one too) can't figure out what the problem is. We have no ground for the ignition coils, no spark no start.
The car is a 98 rs with full 06 wrx swap.
used the entire 06 harness no major splicing (like headlights/tailights etc)
06 dash and ecu
have the entire immobilizer system hooked up (key ring/key/immobilizer unit etc.)

It can't be the immobilizer because the car would be able to start for about 2-3 seconds, but we haven't had that problem. frankly, i would rather deal with that than this. at least i could hear the car

Please, any suggestions/advice of any kind are greatly appreciated. I'll answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability

also, is there any way to manually ground the coils temporarily? I've heard that its the ecu that does the grounding, but for some reason its just not allowing these to ground
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo
This seems to be the only problem right now with my car, but for some reason the mechanic who is working on the car (a good one too) can't figure out what the problem is. We have no ground for the ignition coils, no spark no start.
The car is a 98 rs with full 06 wrx swap.
used the entire 06 harness no major splicing (like headlights/tailights etc)
06 dash and ecu
have the entire immobilizer system hooked up (key ring/key/immobilizer unit etc.)

It can't be the immobilizer because the car would be able to start for about 2-3 seconds, but we haven't had that problem. frankly, i would rather deal with that than this. at least i could hear the car

Please, any suggestions/advice of any kind are greatly appreciated. I'll answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability

also, is there any way to manually ground the coils temporarily? I've heard that its the ecu that does the grounding, but for some reason its just not allowing these to ground
You can not manually ground the coils, that's the ECM's job.
It sounds like the ECM, BCM, and Anti theft parts are doing their job; keeping the car from starting.

The immobilizer prevents the engine from starting; it'll crank over, just won't light off.

With all of this installed, did you have a dealership confirm that the key(s) are properly programmed to the ECM/BCM?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
I didn't have the dealer program the key or check to see if it was right. I had Mike at GST program the key and his equipment said it worked properly.

is there another way i could check? I have everything that is needed for the immobilizer system, is there anything else it could be?