Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

I need your input. 2001RS w/ WRX build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Car Info: 2001 BRP 2.5rs w/ 03 WRX
Lightbulb I need your input. 2001RS w/ WRX build

Hey everyone,

I’d like your feedback and suggestions on the following:

I have a 2001 RBP RS w/ 68K ~ on the chassis. The previous owner before me swapped it at GT in Southern California. He got an 03’ WRX engine swap and drove on it for about 7K or something like that. About 4 months ago I bought the car from him and on the same day I bought the engine had rod knock so bad that no matter how hard I pushed on the gas it’d go no faster than 40 mph. I took it to GST, I was told that the engine was gone. I really didn’t worry too much. I just told my friend, the seller, that we’d work out a new price for the car, and we did.

Me and some friends removed the engine, and I have a rolling chassis sitting at my house along with the complete bad ’03 WRX engine. I bought an ’02 WRX engine off ebay for $1190 shipped. I was going to swap blocks with an EJ25 but decided…if im going to do that, then I might as well just get an STi swap. So I canceled that idea and just decided that what I’m going to do is build up the WRX engine some and put it back in my car. What I did was I took apart the whole ’02 WRX engine mainly because I wanted to replace gaskets and just clean it really well. Essentially rebuild it. Yes, I will have a bunch of WRX stuff left over. I’m still deciding what I’m going to be doing with it. The car and all parts, engine and other **** will go to the shop May 15th.

What I have for the car:

’03 WRX engine that’s ****ed up
’02 WRX engine that is completely dismantled

’03 WRX gasket kit
Exhaust kit
Samco 9 Piece Ancillary Hose Kit, 2002-2005 WRX from Oakos.com
STi TMIC
Koyo radiator

V5 seats
Defi gauges
JDM PF mirrors
JDM tails
RA front Axles
5% tint
STi front strut bar
Kyb agx struts
Prodrive P1 springs
Kartboy endlinks
WRX Borla Hush Exhaust
WRX stock wheels w/ some tire I forget
Rear lower performance bar (I dunno what the **** this is. That’s what it’s called in Japanese)
HKS vr.1 turbo timer

I’m looking for just general input and maybe some answers to questions I have:

1. I want to replace as many hoses as I can with after market samco stuff. Black in color. What other hoses can I replace?

2. I need radiator fans. Any recommendations? Flex-a-lite?

3. I was thinking about getting the VF34 turbo package the homepage of gruppe-s.com ... yes? no? any suggestions? comments? Supporting mods?

4. I haven't thought about brakes...I know I should.

5. Transmission will be upgraded to RA status eventually...

6. I want to get light weight crank pullies. Anyone like a certain brand?

7. anything else I should know, you want to say, something that could help.

I have a set of goldies that ill probably selling as well. hummmm

Once again, really I could use all the help I can get. If you know of threads that would help, please let me know. I know I could search for my answers to questions, and I have. I just want more feedback, maybe something someone says will cover something I missed.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Sell it all and buy hatteroo's.

Wait... I didn't read your thing. I just skimmed it really quick. When I see "swap" and "gc" in same paragraph, I just say, buy a WRX or don't do it. My bad...

Uh... yeah... I dunno dude.

Last edited by darkonion; 04-18-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 AM

Car Info: 2001 BRP 2.5rs w/ 03 WRX
I was thinking just selling it all and putting the money down on an 08 STi...but where would the fun go in buying parts and putting it all together. Iono, plus, i love the body style.

I dunno if I'd want to buy another person's GC at this point. The reason I bought my buddie's GC is mainly because it was real stock.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne
I was thinking just selling it all and putting the money down on an 08 STi...but where would the fun go in buying parts and putting it all together. Iono, plus, i love the body style.

I dunno if I'd want to buy another person's GC at this point. The reason I bought my buddie's GC is mainly because it was real stock.
If you want something really stock and a swap, go check out hatteroo's. That's pretty stock. I am looking at your first post a little bit and yeah... I dunno. I guess you really have to ask yourself what you plan to do with the car.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 AM

1. I want to replace as many hoses as I can with after market samco stuff. Black in color. What other hoses can I replace?

2. I need radiator fans. Any recommendations? Flex-a-lite?

Get WRX radiator fans? They are metal?

3. I was thinking about getting the VF34 turbo package the homepage of gruppe-s.com ... yes? no? any suggestions? comments? Supporting mods?

Gruppe-S is in Lake Forest, CA or something. Right now, maybe concentrate on just getting the car to run with stock stuff. Like I said in my previous post, what do you plan to do with the car? Do you need the extra power? With just your stock parts, you'll have a turbo car on a 2700-2800 lb chassis. That's still pretty light compared to next generations' 3300 lb chassis.

4. I haven't thought about brakes...I know I should.

Might be something to consider. If you just keep your stock set-up, you might be just fine with the 2.5RS stock stuff. Maybe some quality pads, rotors, brake lines, and you'll be set. Worse case scenario, you upgrade to the WRX front by getting WRX size rotors and brackets.

5. Transmission will be upgraded to RA status eventually...

6. I want to get light weight crank pullies. Anyone like a certain brand?

7. anything else I should know, you want to say, something that could help.