Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

hybrid q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 1993 Impreza L EJ20 Turbo FWD
Question hybrid q's

if the bore is the difference between the EJ's block.
does that mean a EJ20 crank would fit in lets say a 2.2?
is the wrx crank forged or reinforced?

heres my story, i have a 1993 subaru impreza 1.8L, front wheel drive, automatic.
I turbocharged it, ran 15psi, blew what i thought was a head gasket, fixed it and its still leaking, i inspected them carefully when i replaced the gaskets but its possible i cracked the block. im in the process of pulling the motor right now to inspect it further. I want to build somthing cool this time and experiment.

i have been informed that my 16valve heads will fit on the 2.2 block. so im thinking i just buy a 2.2 engine, manual tranny, rear-end, out of an older legacy in a local junkyard and buy the internals for that block since they are cheaper than they are for the EJ18 and put my heads on that engine.

But if the crank cant handle a good amout of boost im considering a EJ20 crank (if it is stronger and if it fits) thats why im asking. If not ill just use the stock one. I will still use my original intake manifold because it looks better and I dont want to deal with wiring harness' right now.

Is it possible to have the decks semi-closed like the EJ20? or is sleeving the only reinforcement option that is available?

===========================================

another question, i probly wont deal with this issue for a long time but I have side feed injectors in my car now and i want to know if the tumblers have to be swapped (or if they even can), or if just the fuel rails off of newer RS's to hold top feed injectors. and if the connectors can be wired into the harness for the top feed injectors. or is that just a lost cause?

I would appreciate any serious help and/or info on my crazy and complicated ideas. Thanks