Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

ATT: subie gurus! YOU ARE NEEDED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
Exclamation ATT: subie gurus! YOU ARE NEEDED!!!

go to all the ogs out here i need some help. my buddy and i just bought a 99 2.5rs with a sti block ;P .we bought it off a friend of mine after he got rear ended. There is NO front end damage at all (he was at a street light). here is where my problem is.

The car doesnt start. It doesnt even crank. After the car got rear ended my friend took out an amp. after that the car wouldnt start anymore. the power for the amp is now disconnected from the battery. I replaced the battery with a new one (650cca) the new battery reads 12.5v. I checked all the fuses and there all still good (however a 30amp SBF no.8 is missing. what is this and do i need it?)

As of right now all i can think of is when he pulled off the power off the amp it hit ground shorted out the battery and ecu? maby shorted out the starter solinoid? any ideas?

subie gurus lend me a hand. no need to dumb up any explanations im fairly good with cars . i know there are impact sensors in the front but as far as i know there is nothing in the back of the car that would do anything to prevent cranking.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 PM
tim

My first guess would be that there is a short. I hope you own a good multimeter :-p Also, here are some things to consider (although you have probably already thought of all this):

1.) Check ALL fuses inside the cockpit and in the engine bay (including the 80 amp main fuse...I think its 80 amps...honestly I dont remember, but you'll figure it out)

2.) Does the instrumentation panel come alive when you turn on the ignition? If not, you just took a major step toward narrowing your search.

3.) If the answer to question 2 is "yes", Can you hear the fuel system pressurizing when you turn on the ignition?

4.) If yes, then its time to think like an electron

5.) Look at your battery. Test it again at the terminals regardless of how many other times you have tested it. Make sure the ground wire that runs from the negetive post properly contacts the chasis. Test this contact point with your multimeter by putting your positive lead on the positive post of the battery, and the negetive on the contact point, the screw that holds the engine bay fuse box in place, and the intake manifold (assuming it is clean and not painted). If you get a good reading on the chasis ground point, you know that the cable is good. If you get a reading at the fuse box screw, you know that the cable is properly grounded, and if you get a reading on the intake manifold (or any number of other clean metal engine parts...the intake manifold is close and easy) you know that the lead that goes to the bracket on the starter is good. Note that this is the other primary grounding point, and it is imperative for starter opperation that BOTH grounding points are clean and opperational.

6.) If good readings are taken from all of the above mentioned points, then its time to examine your starter and solenoid. Touch the negetive lead of your multimeter to the engine (preferably at the bracket the negetive battery cable is connected to) and the positive lead on the positive contact of the starter solenoid plug. Make sure your body is NEVER a shortcut electricity can take to get to where it wants to go--THE GROUND! Making fully sure that your car is in a safe postition and no part of you or your chothes will be cought in any belts or moving parts if the car starts, have a buddy try to start the car. Hopefully you will get a reading and have your answer as to why your car wont start.

7.) If this doesn't work, you need to start thinking like an electron. This is where electrical problems can trun into a nightmare. Keep us updated.

Keep in mind that following this is the most simple way to begin to troubleshoot. The problem may reside in the ecu as you already stated or it may be something else entirely. Ill have to look up how the ignition sequence on our cars works. LOL the last time I had to do any kind of electrical troubleshooting was on my old Audi...so Im a bit rusty. Anyway, keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:23 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
thanks for the advice tim! ill be sure to do this first chance i get tomormow. i will keep everyone updated. anyone else have ideas?