So as some may know already... advice needed! NOT VEHICLE ORIENTED

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM

Car Info: 03/05/06 WRX with some STI parts :- P
So as some may know already... advice needed! NOT VEHICLE ORIENTED

well this wont pertain to all but if anyone has insight let me know!

ok so here is the lowdown... so i am now an AFROTC cadet with Det 035 out of Fresno State. and well im having some issues deciding how to go about things within my career within the detachment and eventually the Air Force. I am a proud cadet and love everything that the det has to offer. however i am not sure whether or not hings are going to work out the way i want them to... im going for a pilot slot which is very competitive field! im busting a$$ and doing the best i can... but my major is in aerospace engineering... so i am afraid that even if i get the scores needed to get my pilot spot i will not be able to because the AF will want me as an engineer.

so here are my options that i have come up with...

1)change my major to an easier major that i really am not fond of but will nearly guarantee my success in school.

2) just wait and see what happens within my time here at the det and hoe thy let me have my pilot spot.

3)slightly slack off drop my GPA on purpose so i am not a prime candidate for their engineering programs...

if you have any other thoughts or options for me or any insight on the matter that would be great help and i will love you forever... figuratively speaking...

TIA
Trev
C/3C FECHNER TREVOR
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Whats up Trevor! Yea my brother went to West Point and is a infantry officer and company commader in the 10th mtn div (and I was in the Army as well) so maybe I can help. Is the competition so fierce that they actually look at your major? My brother was a civil engineering major, but he said that there were history majors that were more likely to get top spots because their homework was a fraction of what the engineering majors were? Once you get commisioned will it even matter? You all wear the same rank.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 AM

well steve i seriously dont know about some of those things...like ya we will all wear the same rank of 2nd Lieutenant but being in ROTC they always look at our major... one thing they drill into us is school school school!!! now idk about the homework load cause that doesn't make sense t me unless you are talking about the overall GPA. and once i get commissioned it will matter cause then i am locked in and i hopefully will have that pilot slot by then...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX E85 VF34
Trevor,
I know nothing about the military. From looking at your choices, #1-3 one thing does become apparent though. All of those choices involve backing off somewhat or going an 'easier rout'.
If I have learned anything in life: when I fall into the mindset of allowing myself to underachieve, or lower what I am capable of, it only ends up hurting in the long run. Whatever choice you make, be sure it's one that results in you feeling confident and knowing that you're still challenging yourself. Even if it's more work than necessary, others around you will sense your confidence, and you'll still end up with better pay, status, happiness......
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Wow great words of advice but ever since I was young the only thing I have ever wanted to do was fly and if I can not have an option I seriously don't know what I would do with myself. I have a meeting with my commander to fill out my form 48 which is an educational plan for the rest of my college career. I will ask him then and then basically I get the feeling that he is going to say pretty much what you just said