FS: 89 MR-2 $800 obo, needs work

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:35 PM

FS: 89 MR-2 $800 obo, needs work

Ok I bought this car a while back just to get a hang of learning stick before I got a nice new car. Don't worry, I didn't learn on it, so It wasn't beat up. I bought it for about $2000 about 8 months ago. About 3 months ago, the car started to have electrical issues. With the battery charged, it started fine, but there was some kind of electrical drain that wore the battery down fast. I didn't have the means or the income to source this drain, and, frankly, I didn't really care. I truly don't believe this problem to be alternator-related because I used to be able to jump-start the car.

Now it won't jump start so I just want to get rid of it. Although the moter feels fine, it doesn't pass smog so it does have some issues, and that is how I am selling the car (w/o smog cert). There is a slight rattle from the drivetrain, but tranny shifts pretty smooth and clutch is good. Grinds occassionally downshifting to 3rd. Also the thermostat is broken, so I wired in a fan switch.

Like I said, its an 89 hardtop mr2, with a lot of miles (180,000?). I would suspect this would make a great budget racer for someone with tools and skills, and time. THe body and interior are ok, pretty much what you'd expect for the price. The front quarter panel is spraypainted, and the windshield wipers are non-existent (the last guy had ugly blue ones). If I had a garage I would keep this for sure, I would love to race it, but I am a poor college student at Pepperdine so I need to get rid of it. contact me here or at my Email: Francis.Whetsell@pepperdine.edu
Old 03-23-2004, 07:01 PM

i can get some pictures up...just ask if you're actually interested