Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 AM

The WRX can easily walk away from an EVO with up/down pipe and exhaust, and a few minor adjustments to boost....
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO
I still think that an EVO is closer to a WRX than an STI in engine performance. Remember, the EVO is basically maxed out from the factory, a stock block WRX can push about 400 engine HP with the right setup. I'm pushing 309whp with a TXS STG4.
-SZ
Huh? The 4G63 in the EVO is nowhere near maxed out from the factory. DSM fans have been tuning these engines forever. They can hold more power than the open-deck EJ20 would ever tolerate. Other than the increased displacement, the EJ257 has nothing on the 4G63.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 99 subaru impreza 2.2L coupe
Just to make something clear, someone said something about a wrx catching an r32? R32's (much to my chagrin, I really like them) only do a 6 second 0-60 with their 240 hp and are governed to 128 miles per hour, not to mention they weigh 300 pounds more than a wrx believe it or not.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
If you wanted to beat an Evo in your WRX around a track, you would first have spend a lot of time/money on suspension and track time. The extra horses in the Evo give it an advantage, but if you want to be quicker around the race track that is not the place to start. Out of the box the Evo is set up much better for the track.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Yeah i can think of about 10 cars I'd rather have, used or new, that cost around the same as a wrx that could crush the EVO, STi, or wrx in str8 line runs. It's on the track is where theses cars compete. There's alway something faster out there... always remember that. Just because you pulled on that EVo and feel great about it doesnt mean your even going to come close to that cobra with the pully kit putting down 535whp..... its all relative.

-K
Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
^^^
very true
Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I've moved this thread to the Car Lounge because it's yet another discussion of the 'WRX vs EVO'.

Lest any of our members think that the EVO 4G63 cannot be modified with easy bolt-ons, Vishnu Performance (which also tunes subies) took one of their modded EVOs to my local drag strip. The Vishnu EVO is car number 506, running in the left lane for both timed runs.

1st run:

2nd run:

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
remember that the original question was would the wrx beat an evo with upped boost. no other mods were mentioned, of course a wrx could beat an evo with the right mods, but only upping the boost was mentioned.

so lets say you got an ebc and upped the boost to compete with an evo. you would definately be "smoking" it out.

and the sti is the evo's rival. espicially if you take it to the track and not just the straight line. it even beat out an sti pretty good in some eurpean car show.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:51 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by namakemono
remember that the original question was would the wrx beat an evo with upped boost. no other mods were mentioned, of course a wrx could beat an evo with the right mods, but only upping the boost was mentioned.

so lets say you got an ebc and upped the boost to compete with an evo. you would definately be "smoking" it out.
A WRX will not make dependable power at 19 psi of boost with the factory TD04 turbo. Raising boost with an MBC or EBC without engine management is not recommended.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
sht

Car Info: 04 rex stock like hell
who ever said that sti will mod better then the evo should think before they talk the evo motor was kicking american *** back in the early 1990's that motor is a beast and will still kill any 4 banger mod for mod that i can think of. that thing eats up boost it loves it. i still rather have an STi over evo but they are on a even playing field.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Originally Posted by bone324
Huh? The 4G63 in the EVO is nowhere near maxed out from the factory. DSM fans have been tuning these engines forever. They can hold more power than the open-deck EJ20 would ever tolerate. Other than the increased displacement, the EJ257 has nothing on the 4G63.
well, . . Is the WRX maxed out with what it have? . . Who would produce more maxed out horsepower WRX or EVO, if it modified to the fullest? . .(Not STI)
Old 08-27-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by namakemono

and the sti is the evo's rival. espicially if you take it to the track and not just the straight line. it even beat out an sti pretty good in some eurpean car show.

Then, why is it that there are more people buying WRX/STI than Evo?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by erikgj
Theres more STis available. More people buy civics than wrxes, Stis and Evos combined.
They have almost the same amount. you can go to a mitsubishi dealer right and get an Evo!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
This debate between the EVO and the WRX has been beat to death for a long time, look EVO and STi is the matchup stock for stock they are very similiar, stock for stock the EVO blows away the WRX no mods here, there is a reason the EVO is mostly beater than a WRX.....the WRX stock does not come with half of the things the EVO comes with, power is one, suspension, rally goodies and such. All those things that the EVO has comes really close to what the STi has. If you think you are better than a EVO you should do some research because it looks like you haven't, 19 psi almost all people know that's a No No on a stock WRX.

Quick Reply: WRX faster than evo if its set to 19.0 PSI????