Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

What do WRX owners think of the R32 and Mazdaspeed6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Rayker, quit while you have a chance. You are making NO friends on this thread, and the babies comment is worthy of a ban from the forum itself.

Turning to the subject at hand, no WRX sells for $24k; even at that price it is still a better car pound-for-pound than anything in that price range if your goal is a sporty sedan that can comfortably seat four. At $30k+, the R32 is clearly an STI competitor, not a WRX competitor; the STI has the R32 nailed, both on paper and on the track. AND it seats four. The STI is also (and this is obviously IMO) an immeasurably better-looking car. Dan Neil (LA Times auto writer, the best there is) described the R32 as "visual anaesthetic" -- it literally put his eyes to sleep. I have to agree; it looks like a boring little loaf of bread from the side, and from the front that shovel-nose profile is just pug-ugly. I should probably mention that I used to be a big VW fan (my first 3 cars were VWs, a Rabit, a Cabriolet and a Corrado), so I don't just say that casually.

For the record, Dan Neil described the STI as having "the battle-hardened visage of a samurai warrior," which is just about the coolest thing ever said about a car.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is a mediocre, mild family car; it isn't in the class of the R32 or WRX (or STI). While Mazda does have a few standouts in their lineup (such as the RX-8) every Mazda looks to me to be a simple clone of Yet Another Japanese Car; Mazda tends to match the competition feature-for-feature and price point to price point. I've never seen or heard a Mazda that got any emotional reaction from me whatsoever, and the Miyata I've driven just made me want to get back in my WRX. Perhaps it is an acquired taste.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by meilers
Rayker, quit while you have a chance. You are making NO friends on this thread, and the babies comment is worthy of a ban from the forum itself.

Turning to the subject at hand, no WRX sells for $24k; even at that price it is still a better car pound-for-pound than anything in that price range if your goal is a sporty sedan that can comfortably seat four. At $30k+, the R32 is clearly an STI competitor, not a WRX competitor; the STI has the R32 nailed, both on paper and on the track. AND it seats four. The STI is also (and this is obviously IMO) an immeasurably better-looking car. Dan Neil (LA Times auto writer, the best there is) described the R32 as "visual anaesthetic" -- it literally put his eyes to sleep. I have to agree; it looks like a boring little loaf of bread from the side, and from the front that shovel-nose profile is just pug-ugly. I should probably mention that I used to be a big VW fan (my first 3 cars were VWs, a Rabit, a Cabriolet and a Corrado), so I don't just say that casually.

For the record, Dan Neil described the STI as having "the battle-hardened visage of a samurai warrior," which is just about the coolest thing ever said about a car.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is a mediocre, mild family car; it isn't in the class of the R32 or WRX (or STI). While Mazda does have a few standouts in their lineup (such as the RX-8) every Mazda looks to me to be a simple clone of Yet Another Japanese Car; Mazda tends to match the competition feature-for-feature and price point to price point. I've never seen or heard a Mazda that got any emotional reaction from me whatsoever, and the Miyata I've driven just made me want to get back in my WRX. Perhaps it is an acquired taste.
For starters I don't care about "E-friends" Im not here to bs and make friend im here to state facts and listen to others that do the same. I THAT is grounds for banning then sign me up for the express plan.

No WRX sell's for 24k+? Do you really even know your cars? Obviously not considering you're influenced by what stupid bought off magazine editor's have to say. The R32 was not meant to compete with the STI/EVO thats why it was made in a limited amount!! That's like saying the 337/20th AE was against the WRX.. the upcoming R is going to be in their class.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 AM

Thumbs down too bad

Originally Posted by rayker
Im not here to bs
Seems you're doing quite a bit of that and not much else...

im here to state facts.
You've hardly done that...you are a champion of crude and rude...and I hope that a moderator can help you with your request...the express one, I mean...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:26 AM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
For starters I don't care about "E-friends" Im not here to bs and make friend im here to state facts and listen to others that do the same. I THAT is grounds for banning then sign me up for the express plan.

No WRX sell's for 24k+? Do you really even know your cars? Obviously not considering you're influenced by what stupid bought off magazine editor's have to say. The R32 was not meant to compete with the STI/EVO thats why it was made in a limited amount!! That's like saying the 337/20th AE was against the WRX.. the upcoming R is going to be in their class.
The upcoming R is going to get stomped, and be 10k more, cause it's going to weigh 4000 pounds, have crappy electrical proplems, and the yuppies that buy them wont know how to drive, Just like most S4's and M3's out there. It doesn't matter how much crap your parents put on your car, if you are a sub par driving, pathetic piece of crap that hasn't worked a day in his life, the only thing they could know would be from forums because all they do is play on the internet all day. But you wouldn't know anything about that because you got an STI for a killer deal, right?

I had asumptions for a long time, but I pretty much nailed the fact that this guy is a little kid that lives in my town who is an owner of a german car, that comes on here just to be a tool to all of us because he know's I post here. Mostly because of jealosy that I can fund my own project that rapes his more expensive german counterpart. Probably why most of the only topics he posts in are ones that I'm in. Also if you search for, XSTI, you will find that it probably came off the same router or IP address. They also both started a fight a while ago in the Mid atlantic thread, to figure out what my name was, becasue they desribed my car as about as absolute as you could only if you stood right beside it and or knew all that was done to it. So basically you can delete them and any knowledge of their existence because they are just on here to pick fights with people. I really hope that's all the further it has to go. Also to you guys, I suggest you come to my house and get any of your stuff that you don't want me to throw out, and have fun playing counterstrike.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
You've probably only seen audi's with the so- called "not functioning properly" tails thats because some people are idiots and forget to turn the rear fog off...oh wait thats just one of the many safety features on an Audi.
I'm no expert in European "safety features", but I don't understand how only one of the primary brake lights not lighting up could possibly be safer in the fog. I'm not just talking about Audi's, either, although on my drive in this morning I was behind two seperate Audi A4's and a VW Jetta which only lit up one rear brake lamp when they applied the brakes. And I, unfortunately, know first hand of BMW electrical (and mechanical) gremlins. I've read that most European vehicles use "soft copper" in their electrical systems, but I'm not sure what that means or if it is true.

Having said that, my friends 2001 S4 has had no electrical problems to date at almost 60K miles. He does however, leak about a quart of oil from various places every 1,500 miles or so...
I've got another friend who owns an '86 4KQCS and an '87 4KQCS. The '86 has over 220K miles and the '87 has almost 200K miles. Both are on the original engine and transmission, which amazes me given their age, complexity and the level of neglect Brian has showed his cars. Of course, they have electrical gremlins, too.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
ksmh555- Telling the truth is BSing? Champion of the crude and rude? I didn't even know I was eligible..uhh thanks I guess..

BlingBlingBlue- Lol I think you just have luck with finding cars that have tails out...I've seen a ton of audi's with the left side rear fog on but never full tails, who knows.

WRX2ndregime- You're obviously a man that stands by your car and your car only and thats fine but to just exaggerate stuff to make other companies look bad isn't cool but what you all fail to realize is that Audi invented AWD so to hate on the company that paved the way for us to drive the vehicles we do today is ludicrous. Yes I got a good deal on my STI, 26,700 with a tad under 8k on it, I've seen a few around the MD/VA/DC area around that price lately.
As for you assumtions about me being someone you know (obviously hating on a friend, why else would you have things of their's?) I feel bad for this situation, what you think your friends would do to you and how you talk about them but I will PM you and get this situation resolved.

To everyone else, this is just a good discussion about different companies..no need to get carried away I mean we all drive the same car here! I just appreciate other cars just as much as my own, I guess in the words of Barry Meguier I'm "CAR CRAZY"
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
Complete 180 of everything else said, caught you.

OWN3D
Don't post here anymore, I don't go on Audi websights and talk crap about your car.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Honestly, I've checked out an R32 and they are very nice cars. A friend of a friend has one, and I got a chance to look at it inside and out a few times. I certainly wouldn't put one down and I would definitely drive one if I got it for free (or a killer deal).

I didn't consider one because I have a long history with Subaru, but that doesn't mean I have to put them down. They are certainly nice.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 AM

Car Info: '04 Deep Blue .:R32
Thumbs up

I don't post here much, but I found this thread from VWvortex, so I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. No flames... just adding to the discussion and hopefully I can clear a few things up.

To the comments from two different people that the R32 is:

a way overpriced GTI and too heavy & too expensive for its purposes... (the were trying to get into the ring with the Evo and STi).
The R32 is much more than a standard Golf or GTI. Drive one and you'll see. It is more than the sum of its parts. Modify a regular GTI to the same equipment level as an R32 and your cost will be obscenely higher than the $30k MSRP. Its purpose is a high performance touring hatchback, not a rally car for the street.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, just some comments and related info...

This is my 2nd Mk4 VW... They've had a few problems, but nothing major...
MAF, window regulators (on a '99.5 model). These problems were addressed a while ago and aside from those two things, which were fixed, my old GTI VR6 gave me 80k good miles until I traded up to an R32. Both cars have been very reliable... Never had a time where my car left me stranded. It's a shame that there are lemons around, but hey, it can happen to any car.

The R32 doesn't cost $32k, unless you include stealership markup, which has been as high as +$5-10k. When there were lots of them at dealers, you could find them for $27-28k.

VW has some problems, but BMW and Porsche have their own as well.

The R32 is basically an Audi TT 3.2... except it's a hatchback and costs $15k less than the Audi, which is a 2-seater. The R32 performs just as well, if not slightly better, too. Audi borrowed VW's engine and transmission, while
VW borrowed Haldex, which happens to do a fantastic job in bad
weather. In no way is it "dicey" when compared to a more traditional AWD system. The R32 even uses the same suspension components as the TT up front.

At $30k, the R32 is not (was not) marketed as a direct competitor to the Evo and STi. In fact, the R32 wasn't marketed at all. However, people love to compare, so the inevitable happens... and there's nothing wrong with comparisons. They're comparable in price alone, though. The R32 was built in Europe before the new versions of the Evo and STi, so it wasn't "VW's answer" to these cars. VW could have cared less about the competition in the U.S. because there is no "hot hatch" competition. The R32's main competition is in Europe in the form of the Focus RS and other similar
hatchbacks.

If anything, the R32 falls between the WRX and the STi/Evo on the performance scale. It's a hi-po touring car and not a race car for the street, as the STi/Evo are commonly described. It can be made better, of course, with suspension and tire mods, etc. If anyone was wondering about 0-60 times, the R32 isn't geared for this. It takes 2 shifts to reach 60mph. The gearbox is designed for quick in-gear acceleration, especially at highway speeds.

There's even a race series in (I think) Australia in which the R32 more than holds its own against M3s, Evos, STIs, and other cool cars.

If anyone's interested in more info, check out the FAQ here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1285689

I hope this info helped a little bit.

Cheers.

Last edited by Max Rebo; 03-25-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX
Would look at a Mazdaspeed 6 if I were considering a Legacy GT but it definitely doesn't compete with the WRX. I drove an R32 before buying my WRX and it was very comfortable but I felt more disconnected and it felt less of a driver's car than the WRX is.

Quick Reply: What do WRX owners think of the R32 and Mazdaspeed6?