Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

What do WRX owners think of the R32 and Mazdaspeed6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
R32 way overpriced GTI, not even worth all of the trouble it will cause after a couple thousand miles of driving.

Mazdaspeed, I like the miata, very fun to drive, but the protege and 6 are crap, completely uninspiring, and will most likely be a ricer car that no actual parts will be made for. FWD is junk all together, if you want FWD might as well get something honda makes, instead of having a 170hp fwd turbo 2.3 liter. The power output seems really low, for what it is. But what can you expect from the zoom zoom ford of japan.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The Mazdaspeed 6 would be very nice. It's AWD and turbo and those are my biggest concernt when buying a car.

I felt it was up against the Legacy GT, and I was thinking of doing a comparo, but I ended up with the LGT.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Every time I see R32, I think Skyline GTR. Not some juiced up Herbie-mobile
Old 03-23-2005, 01:16 AM

Mazdaspeed 6

My brother-in-law works for Mazda (Jpn). When he found out I was in the market for a new car (saying good-bye to my 13-year-old Montero), he introduced me to the WRX Impreza Wagon. That was in November. He never even mentioned the "6". He came with me to order the Impreza, helped me negotiate it, and was the first (after me) to drool over it when it came to us on 1/20.

Dunno if that means anything to you, but it did to me. It just seems like there are a lot of wagons that are kinda "like" the Impreza. I'm totally happy to have the real thing.

Have fun on your search.

Last edited by ksmh555; 03-23-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I personally like the R32. My brother has one and it's a very nice car. It's more luxury than my WRX is by a long shot. It's still a quick little car too. They are comparable only because of the AWD and similar power output. Other than that they are totally different cars. It all depends what you are looking for.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
The R32 is the best car for the money, I would have bought one if I could find one and didn't need a 4 door car. They're very well built and can hold it's own at the track, you can get to mid 13's w/ a few simple bolt ons and people are hitting 12.8's with the VF supercharger (stg2).

Idk much about the speed6 but I'd take the R32 over anything

WRX2ndregime- what are these problems you're talking about? the most you'd have to worry about right off the bat are window regulators and coil packs which i've only heard about on the past few year gti's and jetta's, 2 of my friends have R32's (one being daily driven) he has a good amount of miles on it and has had ZERO problems with. Both say it's the best car they've ever owned.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
2 of my friends are audi owners S4 and A4 1.8t, and another friend owns a GTI. They are absolute crap, tempermental peices of junk, all make frequent dealership trips to get this and that fixed. The last thing I would want is a 32 thousand dollar car that is built off a 17 thousand dollar car's platform. Bells and whistles don't meen crap if I have to take it to the dealership, because my window's don't go down (2003 GTI), my tranny takes a crap with less then 10 thousand miles (S4), Audi's and VW's have started to slide since the mid 90's when they figured out they could sell their name on a sub par car made in mexico and south america. If it's german it has to be BMW or Porsche. I'm sorry but I don't think anything about the R32 warrents it costing 32 grand, and I think anyone who would drive around a 30K+ gti is an idiot, but that's just me. All people who drive VW's and Audi's are the same, they think it's a great car just because of the name, but all of them ***** about the stupid problems that occur in 80% of them, so I don't know why they continue to deal with it.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I'm not so big on the R32 just because it's too heavy and too expensive for it's purposes (they were trying to get in to the ring with the Evo and STi). Nice car though just not nice enough.

Mazdaspeed 6 is pretty good and close to the LGT but it's power is pretty underwhelming (as of the last thing that I read). Regular Mazda 6s models handle not bad though so perhaps this car might be pretty good.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by WRX2ndregime
2 of my friends are audi owners S4 and A4 1.8t, and another friend owns a GTI. They are absolute crap, tempermental peices of junk, all make frequent dealership trips to get this and that fixed. The last thing I would want is a 32 thousand dollar car that is built off a 17 thousand dollar car's platform. Bells and whistles don't meen crap if I have to take it to the dealership, because my window's don't go down (2003 GTI), my tranny takes a crap with less then 10 thousand miles (S4), Audi's and VW's have started to slide since the mid 90's when they figured out they could sell their name on a sub par car made in mexico and south america. If it's german it has to be BMW or Porsche. I'm sorry but I don't think anything about the R32 warrents it costing 32 grand, and I think anyone who would drive around a 30K+ gti is an idiot, but that's just me. All people who drive VW's and Audi's are the same, they think it's a great car just because of the name, but all of them ***** about the stupid problems that occur in 80% of them, so I don't know why they continue to deal with it.
LOL! now that ish is funny. I have quite a few friends with german cars...ranging from new higher ends models to older lower end and they don't drive like morons , go to the dealer because they have a WARRENTY and care about preventive maintenance and still love their vehicles. I've never EVER heard of a non-abused S4 with the transmission going out on them, their syncro's do go out but with a warrenty it's just a minor problem. Every model of car has their share of problems, there are also lemons..If there was a "problem-free" vehicle then I'd be driving one as would most of the country.
Sales of VW/AUDI have actually gone up in N. America, If you think the location of a car matters then I feel bad for you! Do you think the robots that make them are any different from the ones in Japan? (odd's are the same company makes the equipment) or the inspectors are a bunch of mexicans off the street? Maybe Subaru has a little *** kid that used to sell Pho at a corner bodega? Anywho...these comments make no sense as do yours. I've never seen an R32 sell for 32k even when they first came out..I've seen 30,500 at the most and that just a $500 mark up, to me I don't know why anyone would pay 24k+ for a cheap *** WRX, the only thing good about it is the motor and awd, I'd have to say the SRT-4 is a better deal. I only purchased the STI because I got a hell of a deal on it SLIGHTLY USED but a 24k wrx? THATS your moron.

IMO of course.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
They both use Haldex awd systems, which are front drive systems which have the ability to transfer some torque to the rears if slip is detected. I've never driven a Haldex car in the snow, but I have to believe it is a bit dicier than the 50/50 split I have with my MT WRX or the "quattro" system most Audi's use (the TT uses a haldex system).
The R32 is a nice looking car, and the engine sounds really nice, but it is way too heavy for a small car. Also, I would personally never choose to own a VW because of reliability concerns. I've personally known too many friends who have lemons from VW. To me, the Mazdaspeed 6 is rather uninspiring in the looks department, but I like the specs and I am glad to see it in the marketplace.

Originally Posted by rayker
...Do you think the robots that make them are any different from the ones in Japan?...
What about the engineering that programs the robots? What about the parts the robots put together? What about the fact that about half the Audi's/VW's I see on the road have tail lights which are not functioning properly? lol
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by rayker
Maybe Subaru has a little *** kid that used to sell Pho at a corner bodega?
Hey guy...japanese people don't make Pho. Pho is a vietnamese food. If you're gonna use racial slurs at least get them right
Old 03-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
What about the engineering that programs the robots? What about the parts the robots put together? What about the fact that about half the Audi's/VW's I see on the road have tail lights which are not functioning properly? lol
You've probably only seen audi's with the so- called "not functioning properly" tails thats because some people are idiots and forget to turn the rear fog off...oh wait thats just one of the many safety features on an Audi.

Last edited by rayker; 03-23-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bpang1
Hey guy...japanese people don't make Pho. Pho is a vietnamese food. If you're gonna use racial slurs at least get them right
Capt. Boss...it can be Pho, cats, dogs or babies, you'll eat the same thing.

Quick Reply: What do WRX owners think of the R32 and Mazdaspeed6?