Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.
View Poll Results: What brand of GASOLINE do you use?
Chevron
31.82%
Shell
21.59%
40.91%
Phillips 66
0%
Conoco
0%
Costco
2.27%
only race gas! (track car)
3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

what brand of GASOLINE do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:06 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
I pretty much switch off (lately) between 76 and Costco. I have really liked Shell in my WRX as well (as I use to get that all the time) and it seemed like I was getting slightly better Gas Mileage on the Shell gas, but which gas is better always seems to be switching from week to week and tank to tank.

I also give the "Thumbs Up" for Texaco gas (if you can find it). My car ran strong on that gas.

Chevron - I did NOT like that in the WRX. I ran it in there for one tank, car was stumbling and had trouble Cold Starting in the mornings. That is the one and only tank of Chevron I ever ran in the WRX, for me, I would not use it again in the WRX.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:25 PM

you're asking two different questions. I would recommend 76.

I use Costco though.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by lburrrna
wats c16?

it's a higher powered explosive than c4
Old 11-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
only 76 and when i cant find one in resonable distance then cheveron.
Amen
Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX
Originally Posted by flukewrx
I also give the "Thumbs Up" for Texaco gas (if you can find it). My car ran strong on that gas.

Chevron - I did NOT like that in the WRX. I ran it in there for one tank, car was stumbling and had trouble Cold Starting in the mornings. That is the one and only tank of Chevron I ever ran in the WRX, for me, I would not use it again in the WRX.
Hate to break it to you but Chevron and Texaco are pumping out the same gas so it's all in your head.

Although I haven't gotten my rex yet, when I had my celica I only used Chevron or 76. Besides having a biast for Chevron(my dad works for them), when going to the dealership to get servicing, they all recommend Chevron/Texaco first then following close by 76. They all loathe Shell gas though. They explained that when tearing down the motor from a Shell only motor, it was the worst mess they have ever seen. You can't go wrong with Techron.

P.S. I'll have to test my Chevron theory on my WRX when I get it though.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
back when i was stock, i used to go to shell all the time, but now a days, its 76 all the way

-Ave
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
i used to use 76 but one day i noticed that my car seemed to pull a bit better with a tank of chevron. been using it ever since.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by 2006WRX4ME
Hate to break it to you but Chevron and Texaco are pumping out the same gas so it's all in your head.

Although I haven't gotten my rex yet, when I had my celica I only used Chevron or 76. Besides having a biast for Chevron(my dad works for them), when going to the dealership to get servicing, they all recommend Chevron/Texaco first then following close by 76. They all loathe Shell gas though. They explained that when tearing down the motor from a Shell only motor, it was the worst mess they have ever seen. You can't go wrong with Techron.

its actually Shell and Texaco that are the same, not Chevron
Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I've been using Shell V-Power for a long, long time; when I did my spark plugs at 50k they were almost pristine, and the injectors seemed very nice and clean as well. 22-24mpg on a "stage 1.5" (everything but the turbo) 02 WRX.

One key element to look out for is to always get gas in the afternoon, and always get gas at a station with tons of traffic. The longer the gasoline sits in the underground tank, the more sediment builds up and gets mixed up in the fuel. If you get gas in the afternoon (as most stations fill up in the AM) you get the freshest fuel with the least sediment. Out-of-the-way stations with rare fillups tend to have lots of sediment in the tank, according to a MSNBC report I saw a while back.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MBasile
its actually Shell and Texaco that are the same, not Chevron
Not true, 2006WRX4ME was correct, Texaco and Chevron are the same. Just go to www.chevron.com, you will see the three brands that make up Chevron: Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex (overseas). And recently Texaco officially became just like Chevron with the launch of "Texaco with Techron".

Jerms
Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by meilers
I've been using Shell V-Power for a long, long time; when I did my spark plugs at 50k they were almost pristine, and the injectors seemed very nice and clean as well. 22-24mpg on a "stage 1.5" (everything but the turbo) 02 WRX.

One key element to look out for is to always get gas in the afternoon, and always get gas at a station with tons of traffic. The longer the gasoline sits in the underground tank, the more sediment builds up and gets mixed up in the fuel. If you get gas in the afternoon (as most stations fill up in the AM) you get the freshest fuel with the least sediment. Out-of-the-way stations with rare fillups tend to have lots of sediment in the tank, according to a MSNBC report I saw a while back.

Hmmm never thought about that!
Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 AM

I've always just used whatever's the cheapest 93 Octane gas. Never a problem....
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I've always just used whatever's the cheapest 93 Octane gas. Never a problem....
gotta love California and it's 91 octane.
The differences out here are noticable between the stations.
When I used to live in Japan....and was getting 101 octane...the only key was to stay away from the Shell gas station near the base...because it got the same crap gas that the base.

But the price was about $4.00 per gallon (100yen per liter)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Originally Posted by 2006WRX4ME

So are you getting a REX or a WRX????
Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I miss the good ol' days of 93 octane when I lived in Chicago...

Now it's just **** poor 91 in California.

Oh, the original post:

76, Chevron, Shell.

Although Shell's credit card will give you back a percentage I heard...making for ultimately the cheapest gas if the pump price is competitive. (according to my real estate agent friend)

Quick Reply: what brand of GASOLINE do you recommend?