Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.
View Poll Results: which car do you think is better?
STi Spec C WR Limited
77.27%
Mitsubishi Evolution MR
22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

STi Spec C WR Limited or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

Old 08-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
STi Spec C WR Limited or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

vote, then explain yourself.
if undecided- here are some resources-
--> subaru specs in japanese
--> mitsubishi article

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Attached Thumbnails STi Spec C WR Limited or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR-w1.jpeg   STi Spec C WR Limited or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR-3292004171716.jpeg  

Last edited by gdogg; 08-01-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Spec C, for pretty much the same resons as Murf said.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Murf
considering the Spec C is a 2.0L engine and still rated at 280 ps 277-8 hp I'd rather have a us spec sti.
All cars in Japan had to say 280hp under law, but many are under-rated such as Spec C or like a R34. They dyno much more.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Also don't forget that the spec C is a lighter version of the STi, with the spec c limited coming in at 1390kg vehicle weight and the STi coming in at 1490kg. I'm assuming i should be looking at the 1390kg because 1490kg translates to 3218lbs, which is what the usdm sti weighs if i remember. On the other hand, 1390kg = 3064 lbs. Thats 154lbs worth of weight savings in a car that is lighter, revs higher, and in fact does produce more power, usually in the neighborhood of 320hp at the flywheel. The spec C WR limited > usdm STi.

Now that that's out of the way.......its really hard to choose gdogg, since .98g is pretty impressive for a car of that weight and carrying all of that equipment, and we have no performance numbers for the wr limited to compare it to. I would have to say that for a track, i would hop in to the evo, but once the race is over, i think i'd much rather drive home in the subaru, i just can't stand the evo's interior ergonomics, but i also have a hard time being a fanboy when that big .98 is staring me right in the face.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 AM

Location: Your friendly neighborhood Marine Corps recruiting station! (Pearlridge Mall by Banditos)
Originally Posted by godai
All cars in Japan had to say 280hp under law, but many are under-rated such as Spec C or like a R34. They dyno much more.
I don't think that is in effect anymore...

"6/10 Japan,
Japan Automobile Manufactures Association (JAIA) concluded that the industry's voluntary regulation of horsepower to 280hp applied to Japanese vehicles will be terminated.

As many of i-clubbers know, all the Japanese cars in Japanese Domestic Market had the limit of 280 horsepower to its horsepower. As a standpoint of enthusiasts living overseas, it was the biggest mysteries of JDM performance cars."

-Neale
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_SAL
I don't think that is in effect anymore...

"6/10 Japan,
Japan Automobile Manufactures Association (JAIA) concluded that the industry's voluntary regulation of horsepower to 280hp applied to Japanese vehicles will be terminated.

As many of i-clubbers know, all the Japanese cars in Japanese Domestic Market had the limit of 280 horsepower to its horsepower. As a standpoint of enthusiasts living overseas, it was the biggest mysteries of JDM performance cars."

-Neale
Yeah but I have yet to see any new car out taking advantage of that. Hopefully soon.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:35 AM

The WR limited debuted before that though, so it would still be in effect for that particular car. the 05 or later models should start to have their proper ratings, unless for some reason the manufacturers still feel like underrating their cars.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:13 PM

heys guys,

keep in mind that the gentlemans agreement really meant nothing in the past 5 years. yeah sure- manufacturers "said" their cars were limited to 280....
but in reality the dyno numbers said otherwise.

also one key factor is to look into the AWD systems in both cars. and also look into the weight distribution in both- the STi edges out the MR in that category.
but i like the fact that the MR has an aluminum roof.... nice.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Murf
well the new MR is supposed to be able to rip the sti on the track but the sti still has the upper hand in HP and TQ. sti owners will just have to put up some cash and get some better suspension and sway bar kits.
And yes that japan thing with 280 ps was only an agreement between the car companies..which the pushed for a while..that is done with now. I'd still rather have the US spec sti...hight top speed Japan is governed to 180 kph and you need some ecu work or a whole new one to overcome that. A simple reflash don't do it nor does a FCD.
The pivot speed delimiter does that, and shows the speed as read from the ecu, which as we know it is more accurate than the dash gauge as speeds reach triple digits.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:29 AM

from a personal source from japan-

the MR has the edge on tarmac due to its AWD flexibility with their famed ACD, Yaw sensor combination. while the Spec C will be more dominate on gravel/dirt.
The MR with all that technology its like the car does most of the "thinking" for you. while the Spec C still requires a decent amount of driver input. torque has always been a deciding factor between the 2... with the subaru leading...

it would be a major fantasy come true for me to own both cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STi Spec C WR Limited or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR