Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Seafoam bad for turbo'd engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Peaty
I've used it on quite a few of my scoobies and just did it on my F XT the other week. I used a vac line to take it into the intake for about 1/3rd of a bottle then put the rest in the gas tank. A few others on the Forester Forum have used it too with no ill effects, lots said it helped with the idle. I've got 60K on my motor and thought I'd give it a shot. It does smoke like crazy but my idle seemed smoother. I can't say I'd want to put it in the oil though.
How does this compare to the Subaru-branded Top Engine Cleaner? I just got a bottle for $2.89...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Originally Posted by meilers
How does this compare to the Subaru-branded Top Engine Cleaner? I just got a bottle for $2.89...
It's the same stuff, I've used it on my subie - but I don't think my engine had enough crap built up to make a difference. I did run it through my datsun and a friends geo, and it made a world of difference though.
I just think our engines wont really need it until we are up in the mid 100k's.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 AM

Well, there it is. A direct response from Sea Foam, but I still won't use the stuff.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 AM
VIP Member

The fact that Subaru turbo owners use 91 or better grade gas probably gives us cleaner engines than most; the darn expensive stuff is mostly soap. When I changed out my spark plugs at 45k I was shocked at the nice shape they were in. I feel a bit safer using the Subaru-branded and bottled engine cleaner and injector cleaner than other products (same reason I use only Subaru radiator coolant; at least you know it has been tested in that particular auto.)

I actually have some dyno and tuning time coming up soon, so I will use the cleaners on my 52k engine and report back on if my detonation threshold improves...
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM

The fact that Subaru turbo owners use 91 or better grade gas probably gives us cleaner engines than most; the darn expensive stuff is mostly soap. When I changed out my spark plugs at 45k I was shocked at the nice shape they were in. I feel a bit safer using the Subaru-branded and bottled engine cleaner and injector cleaner than other products (same reason I use only Subaru radiator coolant; at least you know it has been tested in that particular auto.)

I actually have some dyno and tuning time coming up soon, so I will use the cleaners on my 52k engine and report back on if my detonation threshold improves...
I agree. I'd have much more peace of mind using a Subaru product because I'm fairly certain that Subaru isn't going to "authorize" a product that's going to damage their products.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Peaty
I've used it on quite a few of my scoobies and just did it on my F XT the other week. I used a vac line to take it into the intake for about 1/3rd of a bottle then put the rest in the gas tank. A few others on the Forester Forum have used it too with no ill effects, lots said it helped with the idle. I've got 60K on my motor and thought I'd give it a shot. It does smoke like crazy but my idle seemed smoother. I can't say I'd want to put it in the oil though.
Can someone point me to the correct vacuum line to use? '02 WRX...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I think most people use the one coming off of the bpv
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM

Can someone point me to the correct vacuum line to use? '02 WRX...
Use the one coming from the brake booster. Just stick the hose right down inside the can and let it suck it up. Only use about 1/3 of the can.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Use the one coming from the brake booster. Just stick the hose right down inside the can and let it suck it up. Only use about 1/3 of the can.
other people have commented that using the brake booster line will only do half the engine
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MBasile
other people have commented that using the brake booster line will only do half the engine
Please explain with factual proof how using the brake booster is only going to clean one side of the engine. "That's what I heard" isn't the solid answer he's looking for.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Please explain with factual proof how using the brake booster is only going to clean one side of the engine. "That's what I heard" isn't the solid answer he's looking for.
I have no factual proof as most technical explainations go over my head

I'm a musician, not a mechanic, its just the experiences I've heard. Most people suggest using the line off of the bpv
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM

I have no factual proof as most technical explainations go over my head

I'm a musician, not a mechanic, its just the experiences I've heard. Most people suggest using the line off of the bpv
Most people I know have put it through their brake booster with no ill effects. I've also been witness to it, so I know they're not having problems with it. This goes for all different makes/models of vehicles.

I've never heard of putting it through the line off the bov, but any vacuum line will do.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Most people I know have put it through their brake booster with no ill effects. I've also been witness to it, so I know they're not having problems with it. This goes for all different makes/models of vehicles.

I've never heard of putting it through the line off the bov, but any vacuum line will do.
where is the brake booster line? I think maybe the bpv tube is just easier to get to, but since n/a engines have no bpv brake booster is the next best? who knows. anyone wanting instructions should search as there are few threads with good instructions (the can doesnt really give any instructions)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 PM

where is the brake booster line? I think maybe the bpv tube is just easier to get to, but since n/a engines have no bpv brake booster is the next best? who knows. anyone wanting instructions should search as there are few threads with good instructions (the can doesnt really give any instructions)
The brake booster is behind the master cylinder. There's a line coming off of it that heads right to the intake manifold.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 PM
VIP Member

Holy crap you people are touchy. Someone post a picture of the engine bay with a red arrow done in MS Paint to the line that I want. I can see quite a few to choose from, and I'd like to use one that someone else has used with known success.

I'm using the Subaru Top Engine Cleaner, not the Seafoam. The instructions say to use the entire bottle, 1/3 at a time. However, there is a catch -- the entire bottle is made of OPAQUE BLACK PLASTIC, leaving me no way of measuring whether I have actually sucked up 1/3 of the contents! I'm going to decant it into a clear container with markings in liquid oz. and work from there. The Subaru brand cleaner does NOT say to add it to either the gas or the crankcase.

Quick Reply: Seafoam bad for turbo'd engines?