Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Saw a Chevrolet SSR

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM

I think it looks snazz but I doubt it will sell well. To me its a hypothetical blend of a Ford Lightning and a Plymouth Prowler. Far more a two seat cruiser than a usable pickup. Its really heavy too. Sure is a looker though!
-Mirror
Old 01-20-2004, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I think it's an ok vehicle. Looks decent, in that whole modern-retro way. Not my bag of tea, but I also don't think it looks horrible.

What is horrible about it is the price. They are asking way to much for that thing.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 AM

Yeah, that too.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
I like it, needs to be lighter though and is definately over priced
Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I love the commercial which suggests that it can go 55 in reverse (the one where the driver loads it on to a moving flatbed)
Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
It looks cool but I wouldnt drive one. Not enough get up and go. Plus in concept it is very much like a Plymouth Prowler. Mass production hot rod that isn't all that hot. The people that really dig the styling will be in a rush to get them but when the limited demand drys up the dealers wont be able to move them. Thats exactly what happend to Plymouth/Chrysler with the last of the Prowlers. The other thing that gets to me is that I liked the Camaro and I wish chevy would have used the money to develop the SSR and put it towards redesigning the Camaro instead.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by IcemanSS454
It looks cool but I wouldnt drive one. Not enough get up and go. Plus in concept it is very much like a Plymouth Prowler. Mass production hot rod that isn't all that hot. The people that really dig the styling will be in a rush to get them but when the limited demand drys up the dealers wont be able to move them. Thats exactly what happend to Plymouth/Chrysler with the last of the Prowlers. The other thing that gets to me is that I liked the Camaro and I wish chevy would have used the money to develop the SSR and put it towards redesigning the Camaro instead.
As a former '67 Camaro SS owner (350 .030 + M21) I simply couldn't have said it better myself.

I like the handle. Adds 'street cred' to this topic! :banana:
-Mirror
Old 01-20-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by meilers
I love the commercial which suggests that it can go 55 in reverse (the one where the driver loads it on to a moving flatbed)
My deadly old Camaro did 50 in first.......am I in the cool kids club? Heh heh heh....:banana:
Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
50 in first and 55 in reverse are two drastically different things, I doubt that truck was going over 15mph.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Thanks mirror. I have been a big musclecar fan my whole life. Since I have been about 5 I have wanted a 70' Chevelle SS454. I am very pissed that Chevy thought it was worthwhile to kill such a famous name plate. Stupid corporate bean counters....
Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
Here is the real question. Why would one spend 50K on that ugly underpowered truck, when a Corvette could be had for the same price? Hhhmmmm..... I think I would go with the Vette anyday over that POS truck.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:10 PM

To answer your question worx...anyone who wants something that looks funky. Its the same reason people paid double the sticker for the Plymouth Prowler when it first came out. That was another underpower but very stylish car. You may not like how it looks and I can understand that because I don't really like it either. But its not ugly and there are plenty of people who think it looks good and who also don't care about being super fast. Its got enough power that its not a dog but its not gonna win many street races. However it is gonna catch eyes which is what many people want. Even if you don't like the looks you are still gonna stare at it when it rolls by. I too would buy a Vette over the SSR anyday. If I had 50K to spend, the SSR wouldnt even cross my mind. But there are lots of guys or gals who like the idea of a mass production hot rod. And besides if that person likes the looks but wants more power they are in luck. You can get alot of power out of a small block chevy for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
Saw one at an auto show and it was just as ugly in person as in pictures

Quick Reply: Saw a Chevrolet SSR