Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

R35 GTR: Worth the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
R35 GTR: Worth the hype?

Alright, so after being absolutely BOMBARDED by publicity, reviews, propaganda and who knows what else, I have to pose this question to everyone- Is the new GTR really worth the four and a half million metric tons of hype its been receiving?

Let me say this first 1) No, I have not yet driven it, nor do I own one, nor have I seen one race around a racetrack with my own two eyes, so these are just my humble opinions. 2) I am NOT hating on this car, nor do I even really disapprove of it. I simply want to know how good the average joe thinks it is.

Obviously, the world has been begging Nissan for GTR replacement ever since the R34 ceased production back in 2002, was it? And now, we have its successor. Much like the Evo, the R35 is all new. VR38DETT instead of the RB26, unique platform, and an almost ridiculous amount of technology (to the point that tuners were rumored to have to change wheels once the GTRs were parked in the TOkyo Auto Salon so as not to set off the TPS alarms and gadgets. And nearly every magazine, journalist, and Joe Blow seems to hail it as the weapn of the 21st century.

However, providing evidence that people are still human, some criticisms have arisen. Yes, it is a bargain, as long as it stays near $70K, yes it is powerful (Nissan underestimated power output again, for obvious reasons), and yes it is fast (7:29 around the Ring), but Jeremy Clarkson has hinted that its a bit lifeless, soulless (he claims this in the bullet train vs GTR episode), and Evo magazine seems to think of it as more of a tail happy drift machine, while others note that it understeers at the limit (surprise, surprise). In my opinion, the new mill loses the "Man That Motor Sounds Good" trophy to the RB. And while the transmission is fast, it will be at least a temporary headache for tuners, and Nissan has no plans to, and probably never will release a manual version. Oh, and then there's the weight of the car. 3800lbs! Which the car handles well, but still, 3800 is a lot of metal, glass and plastic to tote around.

And the United States will probably be left out when the Spec V, with 200-300 lbs removed, carbon brakes and more power, supposedly. Just like always. And chances are that most GTR buyers will not me lucky enough to find one for $70K.

So, is the GTR the most awesome car ever? No doubt it is a cool car, and a good bargain. Gimme your 2 cents.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I have no idea....... I still want one.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
Who knows, but they are so damn sexy!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Awesome car, but I think they put too much technology into the car. I wanna see how well those cars hold together a few years down the road. So far the I think the car has lived up to the hype for the most part.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam321
Awesome car, but I think they put too much technology into the car. I wanna see how well those cars hold together a few years down the road. So far the I think the car has lived up to the hype for the most part.
Yeah, it's an absolute technological powerhouse. Tuners will have to work hard to get much out of it, especially since it is so capable out of the box. Hopefully Nissan USA won't instigate any Orwelian type top speed limiters like Nissan of Japan has done.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by ApexAssassin
Yeah, it's an absolute technological powerhouse. Tuners will have to work hard to get much out of it, especially since it is so capable out of the box. Hopefully Nissan USA won't instigate any Orwelian type top speed limiters like Nissan of Japan has done.
http://www.autospies.com/news/Japane...US-Spec-24684/

You 'll be happy to know that they are limited to 250 km (156 mph) meaning you get a little more top speed than Japanese GT-R drivers. We are sure though that when you hit the track, the GT-R will act right and let you feel the full power/top speed of the GT-R.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Ah, I had not heard that until now. Well it's for the best, I suppose. Keep fools from attempting max velocity runs on local interstates. But I don;t think it'll be too long before tuners find out ways to remove the limiters, just like how pretty much any car can be de-limited nowadays. We'll see.