Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Mazda 3

Has anyone have any input on the new Mazda 3?I,m looking at getting my wife a Mazda3s sedan. The car seems to be pretty nice just not to familiar with Mazda,s build quality. I tried to talk her into a Forrester XT.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
I agree, find the previous thread. I had a lengthy post with my views on the 3 and Mazda in general. Quick summary, good cars(though there are some issues with the 3 and 6 so tread carefully), some sketchy dealers (alot of the ones in my area atleast), funky dash board is not stereo replacement friendly, no AWD.
I think the 3 is a great car but I probably wouldn't get one since there are some teething issues(check the mazda3 section of www.protege5.com for more info). Mazda build quality and service is pretty good but I'd say it's probably not quite up there with Subaru. Still though, for the price, the 3 is a mighty tempting car despite some hesitations I'd have.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 1985 Corolla AE82 FWD
I was the poster of that original post.

I think we're still awaiting some impreza vs Mazda 3 test drives

The Mazda 3 may be FWD, but it's an excellent FWD. Takes the twisties with "ferocious tenacity"... hehehehe...

The problems are... well, being a first year car, there are bound to be problems. Nothing too major as of yet. Little squeeks and rattles all covered under warranty.

I'm interested in knowing people's opinions cuz I'm stuck between the Impreza TS and Mazda 3.

Last edited by dugrant153; 02-05-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:42 PM

True, for a price to price comparison, I could get a Mazda 3 HB (Sport) for the price of a base model Impreza TS.

Although, all of the options in the Impreza TS are the options I want specifically. For the Mazda 3, I'd have to get some stuff I don't "need" in order to get what I want (Power windows, power locks, moon roof, etc.)
Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 PM

Oh, what I meant to say is the Suby TS is the base model of the Impreza, and it comes with power windows and power locks and even A/C. When I was referring to options, I was looking at base model to base model (Impreza TS vs Mazda 3 GX).

In Canada for Mazda, we have the GX (the lowest), GS, and GT trim for sedan.

The Mazda 3 GX (base car) comes with no PW, PL and A/C is optional.
The Mazda 3 GS comes with PL, but you need to purchase a "power package" to get PW. And you still don't have A/C (optional).

Only in the Mazda 3 GT trim (the highest model) can you get all three standard.

But even when you add all the packages together, you get a ton of stuff that you don't get standard in the Impreza. So what it comes down to is a myriad of option or AWD, really... OH! and no steelies on the 3 (non-GX trim)

[Note: If my writing doesn't make sense, its because I'm uber tired]
Old 02-06-2004, 06:06 PM

I hear ya, man
BTW, Mazda quality tends to be quite high. I'd say its on the same line as Subaru in terms of reliability.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
I've been reading the Mazda3 section of www.protege5.com off and on and it seems like there may be a problem with brakes wearing improperly on Mazda3s. That isn't a huge deal but what concerns me is reading the poor service and lack of the dealers admitting it is a problem that needs fixing.
The one aspect of my brother's old Mazda that I didn't like was the dealer who serviced his car a few times. It seemed like they took forever and weren't always able to fix the problem until the second or third try. It seems like Mazda service isn't exactly the best at alot of dealers. Like I said in the earlier thread, they seem to be good cars but people I know have not had a good expereince with Mazda dealers(3 different people have been to three different dealers and had bad experiences with buying and or service while one person I know bought her 6 at a dealer that was pretty far away but she had a great experience with them). So, like any car dealership I guess it varies. It just seems a suprisingly high number of Mazda dealers around me are sort of iffy. Though in fairness, the one that did such a mediocre job fixing my brother's MX-3 is now out of business.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:31 PM

I think Mazda service quality is regional.

The local Mazda dealers in my area are pretty okay for servicing.
Local Mazda 3 owners I've talked to said their local dealers have been pretty okay.

It's opposite where I live. The Subaru dealers get complaints more so than the Mazda ones, despite their being only 3 Subaru dealers and 5+ Mazda dealers.