i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Car Lounge (https://www.i-club.com/forums/car-lounge-44/)
-   -   Mazda 3 (https://www.i-club.com/forums/car-lounge-44/mazda-3-a-47262/)

CRAWLWRX 02-03-2004 07:44 PM

Mazda 3

Has anyone have any input on the new Mazda 3?I,m looking at getting my wife a Mazda3s sedan. The car seems to be pretty nice just not to familiar with Mazda,s build quality. I tried to talk her into a Forrester XT.

jamester 02-03-2004 10:34 PM

Dig back a page and you'll find a two page discussion of the 3...

To reiterate my views; I think the 3 looks great. I almost bought a 6 before getting my wrx. The 3's release was just a little too far off for me, but had it been out I would've given it serious consideration.

Compared to the Imprezzas (except wrx/sti) it offers many options like leather, navigation, sunroof,... with the same power -probably quicker even- for the same price. No AWD, though...

just my .02

Cardiff Giant 02-04-2004 04:26 PM

I agree, find the previous thread. I had a lengthy post with my views on the 3 and Mazda in general. Quick summary, good cars(though there are some issues with the 3 and 6 so tread carefully), some sketchy dealers (alot of the ones in my area atleast), funky dash board is not stereo replacement friendly, no AWD.
I think the 3 is a great car but I probably wouldn't get one since there are some teething issues(check the mazda3 section of [url]www.protege5.com[/url] for more info). Mazda build quality and service is pretty good but I'd say it's probably not quite up there with Subaru. Still though, for the price, the 3 is a mighty tempting car despite some hesitations I'd have.

dugrant153 02-05-2004 12:16 AM

I was the poster of that original post.

I think we're still awaiting some impreza vs Mazda 3 test drives :)

The Mazda 3 may be FWD, but it's an excellent FWD. Takes the twisties with "ferocious tenacity"... hehehehe...

The problems are... well, being a first year car, there are bound to be problems. Nothing too major as of yet. Little squeeks and rattles all covered under warranty.

I'm interested in knowing people's opinions cuz I'm stuck between the Impreza TS and Mazda 3.

wrxwagon2b 02-05-2004 07:46 AM

I had this battle when the 3 wasnt even out yet. I was deciding between the WRX and the MP5. We all know the main differences (turbo, awd) but its the small things that some did look at. The MP5 had leather, sunroof, better MPG, less expensive. The WRX had AWD, Turbo, nice seats. The two cars have difference characteristics but the 3 is quicker than the WRX and the WRX is faster than the 3. In all how many ppl actually push there car 10/10th all the time. the WRX is really run when pushed Really hard but the 3 can be fun when not even trying (if its compared to the MP5).

It was a hard thought but I went with the WRX mainly because the MP5 didnt have enough power stock wise to really compete in the stock class of SOLO. If I was not going to compete in SOLO and just wanted a fun everyday car I would have went with the MP5 or the new 3 (hatch) with the 160hp engine. Right now the WRX if going to be more expensive than the 3 or MP5 but if you wanted to battle between the TS and 3... I would go with the 3 hatch. Sometimes I wonder why I even got the WRX... then I get in the car, drive it hard, then I realize its just fun!! and competitive :D

Just my .02

jamester 02-05-2004 10:27 AM

I agree with that!

After test driving the Protege5, I felt the "all show-no go" sensation.
After driving the TS/OBS, I felt "no show-no go" sensation. Handling was great, though... but it was very good in the P5 as well.

So for me, ponying up for the WRX gave me all the "show-n-go" I wanted. If Mazda has fixed the "go" part with the new engine, then it kills the TS. WRX is still the big dog, but at a much higher price!

The TS is so stripped-down, also. 15" hubcaps, no map lights, no cargo area light, cheap hard plastic shifter, no standard foglights,... AWD is it's only edge. Mazda gives you so much more for the same price.

dugrant153 02-05-2004 05:42 PM

True, for a price to price comparison, I could get a Mazda 3 HB (Sport) for the price of a base model Impreza TS.

Although, all of the options in the Impreza TS are the options I want specifically. For the Mazda 3, I'd have to get some stuff I don't "need" in order to get what I want (Power windows, power locks, moon roof, etc.)

jamester 02-05-2004 08:43 PM

dugrant -
I'm not sure I understand your last post. What are the "options" you want on the TS? Power windows and locks are standard for both Mazda and Suby. Are you complaining that you'd also get a moonroof in the Mazda for the same price?

I am interested because it is the TS that made me seriously consider a Sube. Sure, I already loved the wrx, but I didn't think I could afford it at the time. The OBS is better equiped than the TS, but I couldn't get past its ugly (to me) two-tone paint and itchy corduroy seats.

I planned on getting a TS and then "upgrading" it, but the more I added up all the things it didn't have, I decided no. Suby's are more expensive than its competitors, and that's mosty for the AWD, cuz their fit&finish is lacking for the money, imho.

I still think the wrx is a bit overpriced, but I quickly forget when I get that big smile on my face from driving it! =)

dugrant153 02-05-2004 10:06 PM

Oh, what I meant to say is the Suby TS is the base model of the Impreza, and it comes with power windows and power locks and even A/C. When I was referring to options, I was looking at base model to base model (Impreza TS vs Mazda 3 GX).

In Canada for Mazda, we have the GX (the lowest), GS, and GT trim for sedan.

The Mazda 3 GX (base car) comes with no PW, PL and A/C is optional.
The Mazda 3 GS comes with PL, but you need to purchase a "power package" to get PW. And you still don't have A/C (optional).

Only in the Mazda 3 GT trim (the highest model) can you get all three standard.

But even when you add all the packages together, you get a ton of stuff that you don't get standard in the Impreza. So what it comes down to is a myriad of option or AWD, really... OH! and no steelies on the 3 (non-GX trim) ;)

[Note: If my writing doesn't make sense, its because I'm uber tired]

jamester 02-06-2004 12:14 AM

I see your point now...

I guess the big difference is that you have many more trims/options to choose from than we do.

Here, there are two 3sedans with different powered engines, but the wagon only comes one way - fully loaded w/ bigger engine and sports package! My comparisons are all to the wagon, since that's what you'd compare to the TS.

AWD is great, and maybe especially for you up North, but if I lived in Cali or the South, it wouldn't be the deal breaker.

Personally, I think the 3sedan is sharper looking than any of the wagons! Alas, I'm a hatch-back kinda guy.... =)

dugrant153 02-06-2004 06:06 PM

I hear ya, man :)
BTW, Mazda quality tends to be quite high. I'd say its on the same line as Subaru in terms of reliability.

Cardiff Giant 02-07-2004 12:46 PM

I've been reading the Mazda3 section of [url]www.protege5.com[/url] off and on and it seems like there may be a problem with brakes wearing improperly on Mazda3s. That isn't a huge deal but what concerns me is reading the poor service and lack of the dealers admitting it is a problem that needs fixing.
The one aspect of my brother's old Mazda that I didn't like was the dealer who serviced his car a few times. It seemed like they took forever and weren't always able to fix the problem until the second or third try. It seems like Mazda service isn't exactly the best at alot of dealers. Like I said in the earlier thread, they seem to be good cars but people I know have not had a good expereince with Mazda dealers(3 different people have been to three different dealers and had bad experiences with buying and or service while one person I know bought her 6 at a dealer that was pretty far away but she had a great experience with them). So, like any car dealership I guess it varies. It just seems a suprisingly high number of Mazda dealers around me are sort of iffy. Though in fairness, the one that did such a mediocre job fixing my brother's MX-3 is now out of business.

dugrant153 02-08-2004 07:31 PM

I think Mazda service quality is regional.

The local Mazda dealers in my area are pretty okay for servicing.
Local Mazda 3 owners I've talked to said their local dealers have been pretty okay.

It's opposite where I live. The Subaru dealers get complaints more so than the Mazda ones, despite their being only 3 Subaru dealers and 5+ Mazda dealers.