Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

How do they make the GTR so cheap?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
3000gt? Really? That car was ****! Not THE ****, just ****. 320 bhp....but weighed nearly two tons! And everything broke!
you're missing the point! doesn't matter what the car is, it's the name attached to the damn thing!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by RU-X
you're missing the point! doesn't matter what the car is, it's the name attached to the damn thing!
To better prove your point you should have stuck with low quality names with high quality cars, and the opposite, not mid quality names with low quality cars
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
just like hyundai genesis. o.O
Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by RU-X
why do BMWs cost so much? half the cost is for the BMW badge. and people are willing to pay for it, thus the higher cost
Remember the VW Phaeton? It was very competitive with BMW, Lexus, Benz luxury sedans, but yuppie people dont want VW on their cobblestone driveway.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
The body yes. But is the chassis? probably not.
To be blunt i cringe at the fact you make judgment calls about a car you know nothing about. Google is your friend.

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Remember the VW Phaeton? It was very competitive with BMW, Lexus, Benz luxury sedans, but yuppie people don't want VW on their cobblestone driveway.

The Skyline GTR is not anything like the phaeton. The phaeton was modeled after the a8 of its time. The New GTR does not share a chassis with any other car. Also the Phaeton was a new car with no history behing it. The old skylines are classics and have racing heritage

Cobb GTR vs Techart GT3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhg0H...eature=related
on paper the gt3 is a lot better than the gtr but its all about the technology used to put down that power.

Please, not trying to **** anyone off but i said what i think had to be said to defend such a sexy car.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I don't think people are questioning that its a cool car. The question is the "cheap" factor.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Sorry I wasn't specific enough, I meant the whole car. Like it has already been stated, it does not share the chassis nor body with any other car.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
On a unibody (a.k.a. monocoque) vehicle like the GT-R and nearly all modern cars (but NOT trucks), the body IS the chassis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque
Old 12-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
the question is, how do they make the big mac so cheap!?!?! (sorry, I am losing my mind here at work!)
Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JArnaud
the question is, how do they make the big mac so cheap!?!?! (sorry, I am losing my mind here at work!)
For some reason, I doubt that that's really beef that you're eating
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Marketing

It's not what the car is worth, it's what people are willing to spend. Porsche knows people will happily pay TONS of cash for a 911. Any 911 from the standard to the top turbo model. Nissan knows that it can't sell the GT-R, a car than can handle it's own against anything, for what other more exotic car makers charge. Just like others stated, people will pay to have that certain emblem sitting in the drive way. I think from a marketing perspective, Nissan should have given it an Infinity badge here in the states. What yuppy rich guy is going to want a Nissan Altima, Maxima, or GT-R in his drive way? Especially when he could have the brand new Infinity G1000 destroyer of AMG's/M-series BMW's. Or something like that geared for the yuppy rich guy anit-enthusiast.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
It's not what the car is worth, it's what people are willing to spend. Porsche knows people will happily pay TONS of cash for a 911. Any 911 from the standard to the top turbo model. Nissan knows that it can't sell the GT-R, a car than can handle it's own against anything, for what other more exotic car makers charge. Just like others stated, people will pay to have that certain emblem sitting in the drive way. I think from a marketing perspective, Nissan should have given it an Infinity badge here in the states. What yuppy rich guy is going to want a Nissan Altima, Maxima, or GT-R in his drive way? Especially when he could have the brand new Infinity G1000 destroyer of AMG's/M-series BMW's. Or something like that geared for the yuppy rich guy anit-enthusiast.
I'm actually REALLY happy they didn't appeal to your typical no-brain rich douchebag like that. Keeping the GT-R a Nissan is keeping it REAL!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I'm actually REALLY happy they didn't appeal to your typical no-brain rich douchebag like that. Keeping the GT-R a Nissan is keeping it REAL!
The GTR is an example of when keeping it real goes wrong.