Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

GT-R vs NSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
They just keep making cars bigger and faster

"this car can go 215MPH, well this one can go 221mph!"

OMG who gives a F***! i cant tell you one car model where it has gotten smaller throughout its generations (besides muscle cars through the 70's and 80's)

Have you seen the Corolla lately? its F****** HUGE!!! a COROLLA! they used to be tiny.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr

the only use for the GTR is on a track, and whats so fun about beating people if youre in the car to beat?!!! i dont understand why people would want one of these.

cant wait to see a miata beat one in an autoX, no surprise really
i cant wait to beat one myself, i already X'd off a Gallardo headed over to Boulder creek...
thats absolutely not true, they're awesome street cars too- luxurious, well appointed, and actually streetable- a daily drivable supercar. also, i doubt you would be able to see the tail lights on a competently driven GTR. i'm pretty sure a gallardo driven by someone competent and actually willing to push it can waste any subaru on 9, 35, etc. unless the suby is heavily modified. i have beaten an F430 on a track in my old spec miata, doesn't mean it's not faster, just means the driver wasn't capable or willing to use it.

the beauty of the gtr is that it's faster than the 997TT yet costs 1/2 as much.

also going to the track for an open trackday isn't about beating people, it's about actually being able to use the potential of your car in a safe environment. have you been to one yet?

Originally Posted by soundwave
auto-x meh. don't think gt-r owners would care about paying $30 for 3 x 1 min sessions.

i'd expect to see more gt-r's on TRACKS road racing. :RockOn - not mine:
seriously...

Last edited by resident smurf; 03-04-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM

of course its streetable, it just shines most on the track.

and by mtns i meant 30-50 mph, where crappy car skill can outshine leadfoot moneybags

what ever happened to the GTR inside of an Infiniti g35 body? that was sick
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM

and by mtns i meant 30-50 mph, where crappy car skill can outshine leadfoot moneybags

But now you're talking about a competent and hard driver in a crappy car and an unskilled or unwilling driver in a $$$ car... I maintain that the Gallardo or GTR will destroy a Suby from 30-50mph ranges in the mountains given equal drivers. not all leadfood moneybags are unskilled. i.e. even F1 drivers come from very wealthy families.

Last edited by resident smurf; 03-04-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
auto-x meh. don't think gt-r owners would care about paying $30 for 3 x 1 min sessions.

i'd expect to see more gt-r's on TRACKS road racing. :RockOn - not mine:
yup, that's cause autoxing is too difficult for most people.

TRUTH: the GTR is ****ing awesome... sadly I quickly see it becoming the rich person's SRT4/Supra (ie: street racing). Most units will not see track day duty, let alone any form of road racing (competition).
Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Old School

I think testing has shown the GTR to be a perfectly capable car dude.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I'm sure most would hate being owned by lesser cars too

The cars at the SanFran AutoX vary in price from $500 to $180,000...but they all get owned at some point..
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by resident smurf
... they're awesome street cars too- luxurious, well appointed, and actually streetable- a daily drivable supercar. also, i doubt you would be able to see the tail lights on a competently driven GTR.
Aye, when Top Gear chucked it around against an Audi R8 they said, among other things

To put it another way, it's making the R8 look very secondhand indeed. I can see in my mirrors that Germany is struggling to keep up with Japan.
And that's after they reckoned the R8 bettered the Gallardo.

I don't reckon the GT-R is that pretty, either. But with luggage space and change for less than a regular 911 I think I'd have a hard time passing it up. I mean, if I had $70K-odd to drop on a car in the first place, that is.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
yup, that's cause autoxing is too difficult for most people.
or that i don't see any value in it for the price paid vs what i get out of it. this isn't a debate about the skill level of auto-x vs track driver.

rather pay $175-225 for a track day that gets WAY more time to learn.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
more than meets the eye

Originally Posted by glenspen
I'm sure most would hate being owned by lesser cars too

The cars at the SanFran AutoX vary in price from $500 to $180,000...but they all get owned at some point..
yep, i agree 100%
Old 03-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
GT-R pwns........wheres the vid?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
more than meets the eye

Originally Posted by Wrx2fast4ufool
GT-R pwns........wheres the vid?
https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/ride-inside-gt-r-socal-meet-180200/
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM

] this isn't a debate about the skill level of auto-x vs track driver.

rather pay $175-225 for a track day that gets WAY more time to learn.
This is a debate over the car being too big!

I agree posted above "Id take the GTR over a Porsche just because it has more luggage room" Why dont we leave the luggage for the Infiniti line that will come out in a year or less and keep the Nissan the same size as its previous gens.

and about driver competentcy, it doesnt matter if a driver is compentent or not. You still get the same enjoyment out of beating them.

If its the Ferrari you beat on the track with your spec miata and he was just putting, its still fun to say "cmon you rich F*** why did you buy that car if your not gonna drive it"

and the opposite "damn that ferrari just passed me, as it should because its a ferrari!"

not to mention these circumstances are void on said mtn road its anyones game there.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM

This is a debate over the car being too big!

I agree posted above "Id take the GTR over a Porsche just because it has more luggage room" Why dont we leave the luggage for the Infiniti line that will come out in a year or less and keep the Nissan the same size as its previous gens.

and about driver competentcy, it doesnt matter if a driver is compentent or not. You still get the same enjoyment out of beating them.

If its the Ferrari you beat on the track with your spec miata and he was just putting, its still fun to say "cmon you rich F*** why did you buy that car if your not gonna drive it"

and the opposite "damn that ferrari just passed me, as it should because its a ferrari!"

not to mention these circumstances are void on said mtn road its anyones game there.
have you been to a track day yet? I think youre making a couple key assumptions that are wrong:
1. that people are there to "beat" each other
2. that somehow mountain road driving speed equates to having massive driving skill

for #1 you'd be surprised that most track beginners are not there to compete at all. the best students i've had have been the ones that are motivated to develop their own driving skill, not to pass the GTR or M3 or (insert sports car here) on the track. time trialers and racers are different, obviously.

#2 many of the best drivers on the track would be able to completely dominate in a mountain road driving scenario given a closed course "hill climb" type environment. i know a few people who take their GT3s and Z06's to some events that specifically close off the road to other traffic and run time trials on the mountains. however, most people driving on mountain roads aren't there to race, even people driving nice cars. the gallardo in question may have been driven by an older, more conservative driver that isn't willing to risk pushing the limits of his car on a road where the conditions around the next bend aren't clear, and for good reasons: personal safety and to keep his $$ gallardo pristine, and perhaps also to stay out of jail.

the last time I drove a canyon road quickly it was in the early evening (sun out but getting dark) I saw some headlights coming around the bend and a Viper came out of control and almost hit me head on. Fortunately I saw that he was coming and pulled off onto the very side of the road. he locked up his brakes and was just barely able to avoid me even though I had pulled off to the side and almost stopped (10mph). you just can't properly explore the limits of a sports car on a public road where there could be gravel or other cars coming. it needs to be a closed course.

back to the thread in question, I'm pretty sure an R35 GTR would annihilate any street car Subaru makes on any mountain road around the bay area if the cars were driven head to head. it's a brilliant car for street, track, or daily driving.

Last edited by resident smurf; 03-04-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Old School

Yepez is completely right Kyle

Quick Reply: GT-R vs NSX