Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Domestic cars (a rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Originally Posted by 1sicwrx
The point is, that they dump their crap on our shores for almost nothing while our manufacturers get stiffed. I should have clarified my opinion more eloquently, it's not just cheap cars getting dumped on our shores, it is also the auto unions sucking the companies dry, they are just as a big problem as the quality of American cars. GM and Ford pay way too much on a variety of social programs for their current employees, ex-employees, and retired employees, I read some figure that $2,000 is billed to every car built for health care costs alone. How can you have a profitable company when 2 grand is being chopped right out of the car as soon as it is built? Well, you can't. Your cars will be more expensive and less desirable, then no one will buy them, then the quality of the product will worsen, and then you will get hit with the label that the car brand is crap and the ability to rebound from bad publicity will take a life time no matter what you do. Our government should impose tariffs to make the market more competitive, why not? If it will benefit companies here in the U.S. then what is the problem. Every other country imposes taxes on our products so why can't we? The Japanese for example can build a car for a lot cheaper than an American manufactuer just in labor rates. Employees on the assembly lines here make good money and their benefits are even better, the poor guy in Japan/China/Korea works for a crap wage with a not so god health coverage plan meaning their company is not investing valuable money into the employee while our companies do, that alone takes away from the potential of building better cars, So f**k yeah we should tax them, to make us a more of a competitor here, America comes first, who cares what happens to companies from Korea. I know I don't.
**Sigh**

It's people like you that make me stay away from politics. Just another brainwashed capitalist.

Answer me this. Why should I, as the intelligent consumer, be forced into buying a car of lesser quality that costs more? Sounds kind of like Hitler's ideology...you can have whatever you want as long as it is a VW Beetle.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
It most definitely surprised me, that's for sure. IF GM can continue to surprise people then maybe they'll have a chance.....
They arnt going to go under. The local gov, makes too much money off of them to let them go under compleetly.
I am currently salavating over the saturn sky!!
2 seater
4 cylinder
177hp
and a bit on the heavy side 2800lbs
$25,000 for the base model.

besides its short commings the car looks hot in persion.
unforuntely all the dealers are only getting 2-3 of them per month with odd options on them that you cant have removed.
so if you want one now its going to be $27k with leather, stupid wind guard, and the retarted paint protector that looks like some one left plastic on your car.
basically all you get to choose is what color and transmission you want.
I personally am going to wate for the 260hp readline edition, and wate till they start mass production for the price and options to become more appealing till I buy.