Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Correct procedure for clutch starting a suby

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
rolling it down a hill and getting it to certain speed i think is what u need
Old 09-13-2004, 03:30 AM

Car Info: 2004 2.5TS manual
1. roll down hill w/ car in 1st.
2. pop clutch
3. remove spare transmission from trunk
4. install transmission
5. have a friend take you to buy a new battery so yo don't have to do that again.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:59 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Don't forget to turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position before you let the clutch out - no spark, no start!

It's not a recommended procedure because you do have to 'pop' the clutch unless you've got the car moving downhill long enough to be able to slip the clutch. It probably won't damage anything if it isn't done on a daily basis. It's not as hard on the driveline as hard passes down the ¼-mile at a drag strip.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-13-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by SHADO
Kuth are u saying clutch starting damages the tranny?
In my own sarcastic method, yes I am.

Some people say that the manual transmissions in subarus are weak to beging with, but I can' imagine its a good thing for any brand car.

I'd be more inclined to have the vehicle towed (properly) to a local service station than to try clutch starting it.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Kuth678
In my own sarcastic method, yes I am.

Some people say that the manual transmissions in subarus are weak to beging with, but I can' imagine its a good thing for any brand car.

I'd be more inclined to have the vehicle towed (properly) to a local service station than to try clutch starting it.
Do you have any technical reason as to why you think it damages the transmission?

I've started many cars this way and some of them multiple times without damaging any of them.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
Do you have any technical reason as to why you think it damages the transmission?
I'm not a car mechanic by any stretch. But if you think about it, the force has to be absorbed somewhere. Either the clutch (not likely if its in good shape and you're popping the pedal out) or the gear.

I've heard many stories of people stripping the 1st and 2nd gear in their WRXs because of the torque and the stupidity of those people who think launching an AWD car is the same as a RWD or FWD.

I suppose it would be better if a true car mechanic chimed in on this one, I'm not really qualified to defend either point of view.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Shouldn't hurt anything. Also, depending on how fast you get going, you may even need to go into second gear.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
ive done this many times to many different cars with no negative impact. i had to do it in my wrx several months ago, worked just the same as all the others. i dont imagine you would want to do this to your car everytime you start it, but i have yet to hear about damage to a car by clutch starting... any other thoughts on the matter?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX STi - Aspen White
when i have done this i have much better luch starting the car in 2nd, not first.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:05 PM

yah you can just get somebody to push it as fast as they can and you let the clutch out in 1st fast, not necessarily dumping it, but quick. It'll crank right up...

I agree, tho, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but I'm sure its fine
Old 09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by Murf
Well I don't know about you people but that don't work on mine because I need to have the clutch in to start the car.
You need to have the clutch in for the starter to function when you turn the key to 'Start'. The starter is taken out of the equation in this scenario.

Quick Reply: Correct procedure for clutch starting a suby