Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

350Z or Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
i dunno where this is at where you see more G35's than WRX's, but its certainly not hawaii. i think the z would have excitement potential if it didn't weigh so much and if it had more power via turbos. i think the wrx is the newest tuning platform, but it's been done left and right now. i personally would take the z, only because i'm rwd biased, but if someone gave me a deal on a wrx, i'd be happy with it too.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
While I was in Hawaii, i did see more subarus than zs. But, that is what the ppl want there. If you're in California, you see Z and G35s. Nothing else really. You'll see maybe 10 G35/Zs on the way to the grocery store maybe less than a block away...
Old 01-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
bah

g35>wrx>z
g35 = cool gadgetry, traction control, modern stuff, heavy tbh.

wrx = less cool gadgetry, awd, DCCD(sti)

240z = all YOU. If you can drive around with no power steering, a manual choke and speakers that blow up from the bass of some piano concerto, then you are a really good driver.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
WRX gets my vote, obviously.

Turbo AWD > N/A RWD
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX

Last edited by swipe112; 09-21-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by swipe112
I might be able to offer some insight here. I was in the exact same position about a year ago. I have owned both cars and have autocrossed both cars as well.

Bottomline - Stock 350z > Stock WRX

The Z has more hp and outhandles a stock WRX. Within a month of getting my Z, I saw a decent drop in my auto-x times vs. my WRX. The Z has more torque downlow, less body roll, and probably better brakes and tires.

That being said, a WRX is about $3K - $4K cheaper than a 350z. In my opinion, $4K was not enough money to improve the engine, suspension, tires, etc. of a WRX to surpass a stock Z. Add to that, the risk of blowing the weaker 5-speed tranny on the WRX and the choice to me was obvious.

2 more things....what year is the 350z? The pre-2004 models have been plagued with tire feathering and transmission issues so if you get a lemon, you could end up paying more than the $20K that you're budgeting.

Also, if you're willing to spend a little more and get an STi, that's a different story altogether.
I drive Z's everyday and I can tell you a WRX w/ $4k into it is far better than a stock Z. I can tell you because I had a bugeye(now have an STi) w/ quite a bit of work done to it and was far better of a performer in all aspects. Stock WRX actually is faster in 1/4 and 0-60 than the almighty Z, so is the Forester XT! Trust me if you have even $2k to mod your WRX it will smash on a Z. This guy is right though about 04 and previous Z's, many tranny issues and not to mention that Nissan still can't figure out how to align a Z the front and rear. Go with the WRX or you will be disappointed by the Z.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
I might be able to offer some insight here. I was in the exact same position about a year ago. I have owned both cars and have autocrossed both cars as well.

Bottomline - Stock 350z > Stock WRX

The Z has more hp and outhandles a stock WRX. Within a month of getting my Z, I saw a decent drop in my auto-x times vs. my WRX. The Z has more torque downlow, less body roll, and probably better brakes and tires.

That being said, a WRX is about $3K - $4K cheaper than a 350z. In my opinion, $4K was not enough money to improve the engine, suspension, tires, etc. of a WRX to surpass a stock Z. Add to that, the risk of blowing the weaker 5-speed tranny on the WRX and the choice to me was obvious.

2 more things....what year is the 350z? The pre-2004 models have been plagued with tire feathering and transmission issues so if you get a lemon, you could end up paying more than the $20K that you're budgeting.

Also, if you're willing to spend a little more and get an STi, that's a different story altogether.
Ok, a stock TR (2.5) can pull high 13s in the 1320 all day. Maybe its just sacramento but I have never seen a stock 350z run lower thant 14.5. So the Z being faster is not gonna fly with me. a TR costs like 20k~ and how much is a Z? im not to sure but im guessing around 27k? so with 7k in mods to a TR it would be able to handle way better, and also wax just about any modded 350z. A stage 2 2.5 would cost around 2k in mods tops to run low 13s maybe even 12s? So 5k in suspension would definately smash on a 350z. Plus new rubber on a stock suspension WRX helps it out a crap load.

Go with a 2.5 wrx, just debadge that oddly placed subaru logo in the middle of the trunk.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by skeeler
Ok, a stock TR (2.5) can pull high 13s in the 1320 all day. Maybe its just sacramento but I have never seen a stock 350z run lower thant 14.5. So the Z being faster is not gonna fly with me.
Plenty of Z's run sub-14 1/4 miles. Just check out any of the Z forums to see for yourself. Plus, take a look at trap speeds through the 1/4 mile. On average, a Z will trap +100 mph and I don't see very many stock WRX's doing that. I hit 99 mph at the strip and my WRX was modded. Stock for stock, from a roll, a Z walk away from a WRX.

a TR costs like 20k~ and how much is a Z? im not to sure but im guessing around 27k? so with 7k in mods to a TR it would be able to handle way better, and also wax just about any modded 350z.
If you read the original post, he is debating on buying a used 350z for about $20K vs. a new WRX for $20K, so there's no extra "mod" money by going with the WRX in this scenario. Plus, according to Subaru's website the TR is starts at $23,995, so it's more like a $4K difference if you were talking brand new cars.

so with 7k in mods to a TR it would be able to handle way better, and also wax just about any modded 350z. A stage 2 2.5 would cost around 2k in mods tops to run low 13s maybe even 12s? So 5k in suspension would definately smash on a 350z. Plus new rubber on a stock suspension WRX helps it out a crap load.
I will agree with you here. Dollar for dollar, you get more bang for your buck modding at WRX. But again, $4K is not a lot of room to improve the car. $2K in engine mods, another $2K in new wheels & tires and you'd be out of money for a new suspension.

Again, all this is irrelevant cause his original post was comparing a used STOCK 350z vs. buying a new STOCK WRX. My point again is just that stock for stock, the Z is a better car, IMO.

Last edited by swipe112; 01-25-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
[QUOTE=swipe112]Plenty of Z's run sub-14 1/4 miles. Just check out any of the Z forums to see for yourself. Plus, take a look at trap speeds through the 1/4 mile. On average, a Z will trap +100 mph and I don't see very many stock WRX's doing that. I hit 99 mph at the strip and my WRX was modded. Stock for stock, from a roll, a Z walk away from a WRX.

I took a look at a 350z website and for stock the time for manual i found was 14.3@99 and 14.5@98 auto, on my350z.com or something like that.. A member on i-club was able to pull 1/4: 13.9679 MPH: 98.53 on a bad launch and 1/4: 13.7468 MPH: 98.25 on a decent launch. These cars are both stock and i'll let the numbers do the talking. I just see the 99 mph trap speed being capable of mid 13s not low 14s.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Plenty of Z's run sub-14 1/4 miles. Just check out any of the Z forums to see for yourself. Plus, take a look at trap speeds through the 1/4 mile. On average, a Z will trap +100 mph and I don't see very many stock WRX's doing that. I hit 99 mph at the strip and my WRX was modded. Stock for stock, from a roll, a Z walk away from a WRX.

If you read the original post, he is debating on buying a used 350z for about $20K vs. a new WRX for $20K, so there's no extra "mod" money by going with the WRX in this scenario. Plus, according to Subaru's website the TR is starts at $23,995, so it's more like a $4K difference if you were talking brand new cars.

I will agree with you here. Dollar for dollar, you get more bang for your buck modding at WRX. But again, $4K is not a lot of room to improve the car. $2K in engine mods, another $2K in new wheels & tires and you'd be out of money for a new suspension.

Again, all this is irrelevant cause his original post was comparing a used STOCK 350z vs. buying a new STOCK WRX. My point again is just that stock for stock, the Z is a better car, IMO.
haha thanks for reading the original post and replying to them cause i was just about to correct everyone.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:39 PM

1971 240z pwns all.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
my friend has a 06 Z, and has those bi-xenon HID and stuff. its very cool for weekends, when i drive his car around, people looks at me more than when i was in my wrx.

on performance, his car is faster, and much faster on freeway.
on winding roads, the AWD helps alot.

so if is your daily driver, wrx =]
weekend/party car 350Z

Last edited by wimprezax06; 01-31-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by wimprezax06
so if is your daily driver, wrx =]
weekend/party car 350Z
2 seats doesn't make it much of a party.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Thumbs up

Subaru Impreza WRX FTW!
I would much rather have a WRX instead of a 350Z.
I know a few guys that had quite a few issues with their
350Z's.I belive that the WRX is alot more dependable and
reliable than the 350Z.Personaly I never was a fan Nissan
and probably never will be.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX Sedan
Interesting that you would pick those two cars. I just bought my WRX a week ago, and my friend let me drive his Z for the first time this friday. The way I see it they're both good, fast, fun cars, but they have huge differences. Here are the biggest pros and cons as I see it:

WRX Pro:
-4 doors, 5 seats
-AWD (even in California I find this to be a big plus, especially during rain season right now)
-Trunk space
-Easier daily driver
-Easier to mod, plus a lot of great stuff available.
-Rallycross?
-Relatively stealthy (unless you get red/blue)

WRX Cons:
-Huge steering wheel and somewhat lifeless steering (I'm used to a Focus which -has perfect steering wheel+feel)
-Shifter is relatively vague
-Understeer tendencies

350Z Pro:
-Feels like you're sitting in a jet fighter, as in all the instrumentation is in your face.
-Superb steering wheel and good steering feel.
-Good shifter feel.
-HIDs (they looks so nice)
-Nice exterior (subjective)
-RWD (in the dry)

350Z Cons:
-2 doors, 2 seats
-Almost useless trunk (thanks to the rear beam)
-Clutch feel (extremely light, not my preference)
-RWD (in the wet)
-I'm guessing insurance is higher (since it's a 2-seat 300hp coupe)

Draw:
-Performance
-Gas Mileage
-Soundtrack (as in engine sounds. Both the VQ35 and the H4T produce great noises).

Now, most of the cons of the WRX can be fixed, while you can't do much about the Z's cons. In the end, either car is a great choice, just depends on what you need in a car (I needed a sedan so ended up with a WRX).

Quick Reply: 350Z or Impreza WRX