Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

06 STi vs a 97 'vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Welcome to i-Club.
The 97 chevy corvette was the first year of the 5.7L LS1 engine and the weakest
of all the years.I have seen 97 chevy corvette's dyno on a dynojet 320-330 rwhp.
The LS1 engine is a powerhouse 60mph and above in about 3rd gear.
What I think will happen is you will beat him off the line and by 3rd gear that is the
LS1's sweet spot and he will most likey reel you in and pass you.Sad to say but, he
will beat you in stock term.Lets talk about how you can owen him and not let him catch
up? First ask him his mods because from my experience vette owners will lie.
Second I think you should mod your car before you race (at the track I hope).
Have you considered a turbo upgrade with all the goodies?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
depends on the driver, I've beat a camaro that was as fast as a stock vetter when Suzanne's car wasn't even tuned...it's all about the driver!
That all depends on if the Vette has an M6 or an A4 transmission. There's not much to holding the wheel straight and mashing the gas. As for if the car is an M6, if the driver can get off the line in 1st gear, it doesn't take much more experience than a monkey would possess to shift from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th, etc.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Oh, please. That's so lame. The Porsche Carrera makes due with a 6 cylinder and holds its own against a Vette in a straight line. The BMW M3 doesn't fall far behind; another which runs with a 6.

And then there are the plethora of Ferraris, Porsches, and other exotics that the Vette "targets" with the Z06. Look at the new Z06. It is just as every bit as fast as a Ferrari Modena and 430, 911 Twin Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo, etc. at a fraction of the price.

There are plenty of cars that are light years more technically advanced than the Corvette, yet nobody complains about, "Let's see Ferrari do it with 8 cylinders instead of 12," or "It takes Lamborghini stuffing a V10 into a car to beat the Corvette!" I don't think Vette owners race people and then say, "Unplug 4 of your spark plugs and then it'll be a fair race!"

There are plenty of roads out there where an STi will be the better handler than the Vette. You get a tight course with A LOT of twisties and the Vette is not going to keep up. It'll be fishtailing all over the place, and when it isn't fishtailing it will be understeering. However, get that Vette on a track with a lot of straights and you can kiss it goodbye.

The Vette costs $45,000. The STi costs $32,000. Not to mention, I've run into many STi owners that are in the same age bracket as "Corvette drivers," and it's always the same answer when I ask them why they bought an STi over a car like a Corvette at their age. I just ask, "So what made you decide on an STi over a Corvette?" The response is always either for practicality reasons, Subaru's reputation for quality and reliability, "it's just as much fun as a Corvette for 2/3 the price," or "At my age it's tough to get out of a car that low."

I gotta say, the STi is a blast, and I can't imagine having much more fun in a Vette than I have in the STi.
what is lame is that you don't mention another 4 cylinder that a vette can compete with. the lowest you mention are 6's. ****, give me 2 more cylinders and a decent turbo set up and sure i'll go up against a vette!

Last edited by turfshark; 07-25-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:43 PM

That all depends on if the Vette has an M6 or an A4 transmission. There's not much to holding the wheel straight and mashing the gas. As for if the car is an M6, if the driver can get off the line in 1st gear, it doesn't take much more experience than a monkey would possess to shift from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th, etc.
To my knowledge their is about a three to four tenths difference between
a 97 vette M6 or A4 car.RWD is hard to launch and if the guy doesn't know
how to drive or launch he will be spinning badly and this guys STI very well
could win.Everything being equal the 97 chevy vette will win like it or not.
Depending on alot of things I have seen them run 13 second 1/4 mile times
with a decent driver and only bolton's.
Also with the right mods and enough money this guys 06 STI could win.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by WRX409
To my knowledge their is about a three to four tenths difference between
a 97 vette M6 or A4 car.RWD is hard to launch and if the guy doesn't know
how to drive or launch he will be spinning badly and this guys STI very well
could win.Everything being equal the 97 chevy vette will win like it or not.
Depending on alot of things I have seen them run 13 second 1/4 mile times
with a decent driver and only bolton's.
Also with the right mods and enough money this guys 06 STI could win.
The fastest I've seen an LS1 Vette run (stock) was a 12.7x and that was with an excellent driver. Most of them hover around 13.1x-13.3x from what I've seen at the track.....

The fastest stock STi I've seen was a 12.89.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
The fastest I've seen an LS1 Vette run (stock) was a 12.7x and that was with an excellent driver. Most of them hover around 13.1x-13.3x from what I've seen at the track.....

I thought that 12.89 had a turbo back? and most stock sti's will run around 13.3-13.6 depending on driver
Old 07-28-2006, 04:49 PM

I thought that 12.89 had a turbo back? and most stock sti's will run around 13.3-13.6 depending on driver
Nope, no turbo-back. The car I saw was bone stock. I looked it over myself, and unless he was hiding something, he was telling the truth.

The driver admitted that his car was abnormally fast for a stocker, and no doubt a factory freak.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 PM

either factory freak or tuned without telling anyone...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 PM

either factory freak or tuned without telling anyone...
If it were tuned it couldn't have been something like UTEC. There were no extra "peripherals" visible in his car. It looked totally unmolested to me.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:41 PM

hehe, you don't have to see the UTEC, and besides, ecutek or cobb wouldn't show anything either (=

it's just that the mags couldn't get it faster than 13.1, and if you're telling me some average joe is a better driver than the professionals...than someone needs to get that guy an drag circuit application...
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 PM

hehe, you don't have to see the UTEC, and besides, ecutek or cobb wouldn't show anything either (=

it's just that the mags couldn't get it faster than 13.1, and if you're telling me some average joe is a better driver than the professionals...than someone needs to get that guy an drag circuit application...
Since WHEN are magazine testers "professionals?" I wouldn't take magazine testers' words for anything more than a grain of salt. The ONLY magazine tester's results that I would believe are those of Evan J. Smith, who is with "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords," as well as a contributor for "GM High Tech Performance." It's common knowledge throughout the automotive community that Evan is the only one of these testers with any credibility whatsoever. Look no further than a Google Search for some of his tests.

Most magazines don't even test on 1/4 mile tracks when they run the cars. Not to mention, they fasten all sorts of ridiculous things to the cars like 5th wheels and other "testing" garbage that adds all sorts of weight, not only resulting in skewed acceleration results, but handling and braking as well. Magazine testers have no credibility whatsoever. As an example, we've ALL heard of "Road & Track" and "Car & Driver, both claiming to be the "automotive authority." Years ago, they tested an LT1 Camaro and couldn't run faster than a 14.9 @ 93 mph. It was the same result for an LT1 Firebird. They also couldn't crack 13.80s @ 102 mph in an LS1 F-Body. LT1 cars with A4 transmissions averaged AT LEAST 14.30s with an average driver, and we've ALL seen what LS1s are turning at the track.

What gives you the idea that magazine testers are the only people on the planet that can drive aside from other "professionals?" There are plenty of people that I see at the track week in and week out that can drive their asses off. Just because they're not doing it professionally doesn't mean anything. Not to mention, why would someone voluntarily admit that their car was a factory freak and lie about it? It's a totally pointless thing to lie about. Just accept it. There are stock cars out there that are faster than your stock/lightly modified car. That's the way it goes. When I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I had a buddy with a 1993 LT1 Camaro with a 6spd that would run consistent 13.50s @ 105+ mph with nothing more than a catback exhaust and a cold air intake. Bone stock he ran consistent 13.60s @ 103 mph. Again, this car was a factory freak. This was on street tires.

As for the UTEC, from what I've seen, it's controlled with a reprogrammed Game Boy. Most of the cars I have seen the UTEC in have them mounted/located right up on the dashboard or in plain sight where the driver can easily access their different programs and such.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 PM

no no no...but why don't you tell me how you REALLY feel?

haha, thanks for the waste of 3 minutes (=
Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 AM

no no no...but why don't you tell me how you REALLY feel?

haha, thanks for the waste of 3 minutes (=
After having read your diatribe of how magazine testers are "professionals," I felt that much dumber after doing so.

Actually, I wanted to thank you for the waste of the 3 minutes that it took me to type a response to your post.

You keep on reading "Sport Compact Car" and "Modified Mag." I'll get my information from credible sources......like the track.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:56 AM

Thumbs up

Your right low to mid 13's in the 1/4 mile is the norm
with a LS1 car.Off the line the Corvette's are not that
good and they have big spinning issues because they
are RWD. At my local track I seen a 06 STI with a excellent
driver run a 12.78 and he told before he ran he only had a
K/N air filter all I can say is wow Sinister they are awesome cars.
I would love to have a STI you are a lucky man that you have one
Sinister! Did you ever run yours at the track before?
If so, what times did you muster? Just wondering?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by WRX409
Your right low to mid 13's in the 1/4 mile is the norm
with a LS1 car.Off the line the Corvette's are not that
good and they have big spinning issues because they
are RWD. At my local track I seen a 06 STI with a excellent
driver run a 12.78 and he told before he ran he only had a
K/N air filter all I can say is wow Sinister they are awesome cars.
I would love to have a STI you are a lucky man that you have one
Sinister! Did you ever run yours at the track before?
If so, what times did you muster? Just wondering?
WRX409, I've never had my car to the track. While I'm curious as to what it would run, I'm just not a very good manual driver at all, plus I just don't want to risk burning up my AWD. I paid $31,000 for the car, so I really don't want to pay an additional $7000 if/when I blow something up. I figure I'll just hang around on the site until someone with basically the same mods posts there mods after mentioning that they hit the track.

Aside from that, and still hitting the track quite often (to watch), I'm just not really into the drag racing aspect much anymore. I still enjoy watching some American Muscle get down but personally, I've just come to love the twisties much more than driving in a straight line.

Thanks for the compliments, bro.

Quick Reply: 06 STi vs a 97 'vette?