Xylene @ Home Depot

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Xylene @ Home Depot

I found gallon cans of Xylene (117) at Home Depot in DC/Colma for just under $10/gal.

Smooooth.

jason
Old 04-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Wink

Yeah, it's only like $6.50 at Sherwin Williams. Just FYI.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:46 PM

Hi All,
I've heard the strangest thing from some boys back in the East Coast ... mothballs = octane booster. Scarey, huh?

From what i've been seeing a 2 octane point (full point, none of this tenth of a point crap) increase is as much as the ECU will correct for on its own. Though it appears to be able to pull timing for as crappy as the gas you put in it.

To milk anymore performance out of octane boosting, it would appear you will need to do some other engine management to get more gain.

FYI - i've been buying 100 octane unleaded for about $4 per gallon, 110 leaded for $4 per gallon and 118 leaded for $7 per gallon.

Are you guys adding ATF for the lubricant additive or any sort of engine cleaner along with the Xylene mix? Someone else told me that the vaporization point of xylene is considerably higher than toulene (and some east coast boys are poking holes in the exhaust to blow on the tank to preheat the mixture for better vaporization behavior - even scarey information ... stupid IMHO).

Steve
Old 04-02-2003, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I tried 2 gal of toluene and 7.5oz of ATF this weekend. It mixed to around 94 octane. It didn't seem as smooth as 100 octane race gas mixed to 94 octane. The race gas just seemed like it wanted to pull more...
Old 04-02-2003, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
MOTHBALLS? Talk to me goose! I will try anything!

Andy
Old 04-02-2003, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Before I go to the drag strip...I put a bunch of marshmallows in my gas tank...they boost octane too!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by mexicanpizza
Before I go to the drag strip...I put a bunch of marshmallows in my gas tank...they boost octane too!
During my Toyota days, mid 1980s and 4AG engines, mothballs was the rage. People would mix this in the tank for some power. I don'[t know if it was eally working or not but we were also running side draft carbs instead of fuel injection so I don't know if it really worked or not
Old 04-03-2003, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
Yeah, it's only like $6.50 at Sherwin Williams. Just FYI.
Really? I went to the S-W in Emeryville a few months ago and a gallon of Toluene was already $8.45/gal. I would think Xylene would be more expensive. Is my thinking backwards? Is your price recent? Which S-W was this?

jason

p.s. I'm not questioning your honesty... I just want MORE boooost (hence the screen name )
Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally posted by mmboost
Really? I went to the S-W in Emeryville a few months ago and a gallon of Toluene was already $8.45/gal. I would think Xylene would be more expensive. Is my thinking backwards? Is your price recent? Which S-W was this?

jason

p.s. I'm not questioning your honesty... I just want MORE boooost (hence the screen name )
Don't buy it in 1 gal cans, buy it in 5 gallon buckets, around $2.25 a gallon when I bought it last summer.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by CupertinoSteve
Hi All,
I've heard the strangest thing from some boys back in the East Coast ... mothballs = octane booster. Scarey, huh?

Are you guys adding ATF for the lubricant additive or any sort of engine cleaner along with the Xylene mix?

Someone else told me that the vaporization point of xylene is considerably higher than toulene

Steve
Using moth-anyting is a BAD idea. Mothballs (naphthalene) has a bad C-to-H ratio which lends to carbon deposits. Moth "crystals" (paradichlorobenzene), is like cyclohexane with two H atoms replaced with Chlorine atoms.... 6C 4H 2Cl ...guess what one of the by products of combustion are? HCl ... yep Hydrchrloric Acid. That's gotta be no fun for you car. Carbon deposits or acid.

This is only the second time I am using octane boosting. First I used toluene and loved it. Now Xylene (its all Home Despot had). I figure twice might not be enough to destroy parts... especially since it wont sit too long at the rate I use up gas ... but then, what do I know? If I do it again I will use the lubes, etc.

As far as vaporization, I could swear as I read all printing on the entire can of Xylene before I bought it, it said that Xylene (for the purposes of paint thinning or removal) was just like Toluene except that it evaporated slower. I could swear that's what it said... I poured the cans in the tank in the Home Despot parking lot so I don't have them for reference at the moment.

jason
Old 04-03-2003, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I also heard that Mothballs can prove to explode when mixed with gasoline. Depending on how many you use, they could actually blow up your car. That's just what I heard though.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:00 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by mmboost
Using moth-anyting is a BAD idea. Mothballs (naphthalene) has a bad C-to-H ratio which lends to carbon deposits. Moth "crystals" (paradichlorobenzene), is like cyclohexane with two H atoms replaced with Chlorine atoms.... 6C 4H 2Cl ...guess what one of the by products of combustion are? HCl ... yep Hydrchrloric Acid. That's gotta be no fun for you car. Carbon deposits or acid.

This is only the second time I am using octane boosting. First I used toluene and loved it. Now Xylene (its all Home Despot had). I figure twice might not be enough to destroy parts... especially since it wont sit too long at the rate I use up gas ... but then, what do I know? If I do it again I will use the lubes, etc.

As far as vaporization, I could swear as I read all printing on the entire can of Xylene before I bought it, it said that Xylene (for the purposes of paint thinning or removal) was just like Toluene except that it evaporated slower. I could swear that's what it said... I poured the cans in the tank in the Home Despot parking lot so I don't have them for reference at the moment.

jason
haha he said home despot.

and yeah, when i was working out the molecular equations in my head, i saw those pesky HCl molecules floating around, but i just figured i would drive around and melt off the front bumpers of people who drive too close.

on second thought, i wonder what HCl would do to an internal combustion engine? does temperature have any effects on the rate at which HCl eats away metal?