XV Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
XV Hybrid?

Just got an email announcing an XV hybrid 2014. Anyone have details about this?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Cool I guess. I'm glad they're getting in to it as I think it was something california passed a few years ago. Every maker had to have a certain amount of hybrid vehicles by 2013 or some crap.

But I have zero interest in overpriced hippy mobiles.

I'd rather have one with a turbo in it. LOL!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
Well help me out then. Im looking for the cheapest way to get to the snow with alot of ground clearance and a hatchback for the dogs. This is the best bet other then the outback right?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Subaru's tiny itty bitty blurb on their site

Built to get dirty, not be dirty.
Designed with the foundation of Subaru engineering, the all-new 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid offers the control and balance drivers expect from a Subaru vehicle. And as the most fuel-efficient AWD hybrid crossover in America[1], it also offers an earth-conscious attitude.

The SUBARU BOXER® engine provides a low center of gravity for agile handling. Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive flows power to all wheels for a constant grip on the road while still giving you great fuel efficiency. Best of all, it's an Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle[2] making it the lowest-emissions AWD hybrid crossover in America.[3]

The XV Crosstrek Hybrid is your green-minded crossover with 17-inch alloy wheels, all-season tires, 8.7 inches of ground clearance, raised roof rails, and a flexible cargo area. What you do with all of this capability is entirely up to you.
The XV is very appealing to me as my next car, as I really don't need the turbo, would rather have better gas mileage, but do want the AWD and offroadability.

Hybrid doesn't work for me simply because hybrids are horrendously heavy. However, I would love engine shut off technology and starter-less starts in a regular petrol engine, and regenerative braking (just enough to restart the engine)

I am happy Subaru will have a hybrid in their stable... you need step technology like this if it is ever to be developed properly. It shows Subaru sees that the future has at least some kind of stored energy requirement because this opens up the "any energy source to generate electricity... which can charge your vehicle".
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Meh...I'd be much more excited about a diesel Crosstek or a diesel anything for that matter. Simple, great fuel economy, what's not to like?

-Brian
Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Throwdown
Well help me out then. Im looking for the cheapest way to get to the snow with alot of ground clearance and a hatchback for the dogs. This is the best bet other then the outback right?
Forester would be just as good of an option. 2.5 liter 170 hp, 8.7 inches of ground clearance, etc. etc.

I just bought one in January and LOVE it.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Meh...I'd be much more excited about a diesel Crosstek or a diesel anything for that matter. Simple, great fuel economy, what's not to like?

-Brian
werd. I can't figure out why the small diesel and turbo diesel tech isn't getting over here. pisses me off.

I'd take a turbo diesel XV in a heart beat. Or a td legacy wagon. yes please.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Throwdown
The XV is rad for that. But if you're talking about taking dogs AND people up there you have one choice... buy a tub.

I'm not sure if you've sat in an XV or not. They're pretty rad little cars. There is enough room that my buddy 6'3" sat in the front with the seat all the way back and I sat in the back 5'10" and I could sit with my legs straight in front of me. WAY more room than my wrx wagon.

But in order to get that room they eliminated the back hatch area. With the seats back the only dogs going back there are mini ankle biters. And then were you gonna put your bags? 4 people going to the snow... maybe with a tub AND a ski rack.

It's tiny dude. I don't even know if you could fit golf bags back there. I think a couple duffels would have it stuffed to the brim. It's pretty well useless.

So if you're thinking about one and you want to take dogs up there your best bet is to fold the seats down. Or have 3 people and fold one seat down. Or put one of those dog blankets in and cover the back seats.

Buy a tub and some ski racks.

I've looked it over and considered it but I have a 3 year old and a dog. If I want to take the whole family with me I'd have my wife in one seat. Daughter behind her. One seat down for the dog. Literally no room inside the car for anything else except maybe a bag of snacks and toys and crap for the road. Everything else would have to fit on the roof.

It's essentially the impreza with forester suspension under it.

My advice... buy a forester.

Even on road trips now in my wife's 2011 forester I often wish we had a tub. The space fills up quick but we can do a weekend trip and bring the dog. Another dog or another kid and we'll have to get a tub for sure.

Forester does about 24.5 mpg on regular gas so it's tolerable.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Sure you get great mileage, but you also get to pay more for it so it isn't as much of an advantage as it seems. Average price seems to be about the same as 92 recently and when prices were really high, diesel was quite a bit higher than 92 at almost $6/gal. Most gasoline cars today get the same or better mileage than diesel.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

The XV is rad for that. But if you're talking about taking dogs AND people up there you have one choice... buy a tub.

I'm not sure if you've sat in an XV or not. They're pretty rad little cars. There is enough room that my buddy 6'3" sat in the front with the seat all the way back and I sat in the back 5'10" and I could sit with my legs straight in front of me. WAY more room than my wrx wagon.

But in order to get that room they eliminated the back hatch area. With the seats back the only dogs going back there are mini ankle biters. And then were you gonna put your bags? 4 people going to the snow... maybe with a tub AND a ski rack.

It's tiny dude. I don't even know if you could fit golf bags back there. I think a couple duffels would have it stuffed to the brim. It's pretty well useless.

So if you're thinking about one and you want to take dogs up there your best bet is to fold the seats down. Or have 3 people and fold one seat down. Or put one of those dog blankets in and cover the back seats.

Buy a tub and some ski racks.

I've looked it over and considered it but I have a 3 year old and a dog. If I want to take the whole family with me I'd have my wife in one seat. Daughter behind her. One seat down for the dog. Literally no room inside the car for anything else except maybe a bag of snacks and toys and crap for the road. Everything else would have to fit on the roof.

It's essentially the impreza with forester suspension under it.

My advice... buy a forester.

Even on road trips now in my wife's 2011 forester I often wish we had a tub. The space fills up quick but we can do a weekend trip and bring the dog. Another dog or another kid and we'll have to get a tub for sure.

Forester does about 24.5 mpg on regular gas so it's tolerable.
By "tub" do you mean "van"?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
Sure you get great mileage, but you also get to pay more for it so it isn't as much of an advantage as it seems. Average price seems to be about the same as 92 recently and when prices were really high, diesel was quite a bit higher than 92 at almost $6/gal. Most gasoline cars today get the same or better mileage than diesel.
That's a huge problem in my opinion. Diesel is cheaper to produce. The only reason it's more is because they can. Or possibly because there is less produced.

So if retarded California stopped hating in diesel so much then maybe more cars would bring their diesel options to the states. More options, more sales. More sales more need for the fuel. More need for the fuel, more quantities, lower price.

But who the hell knows. Only thing I know is that politicians and oil companies work together for the greater good of the rich man's pocket.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I believe he means a roof carrier, either a rack or enclosed one. I have an enclosed one.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's a huge problem in my opinion. Diesel is cheaper to produce. The only reason it's more is because they can. Or possibly because there is less produced.

So if retarded California stopped hating in diesel so much then maybe more cars would bring their diesel options to the states. More options, more sales. More sales more need for the fuel. More need for the fuel, more quantities, lower price.

But who the hell knows. Only thing I know is that politicians and oil companies work together for the greater good of the rich man's pocket.
Yup. It is basically a byproduct of regular gas refining AFAIK, so it technically costs very little for them, but it still has to be processed. I read something about when they focus on gas diesel production drops, not because they don't have it, but because they just don't do it.

Last edited by 04GG; 03-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
By "tub" do you mean "van"?
No... by tub I mean tub...

I'd get something like this but one thin enough that you can put ski racks on one side of it.

And then I get a light bar and skid plate for the front. LOL!