Wordpress pros?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Wordpress pros?

Any of you guys word press pros? Think you could spare a few hours over pizza and beer to help me build a portfolio site.

I'm dumb when it comes to that stuff. I can design you a reactive design for a site but I can't build it. I stand over the shoulders of our programs and just go... WTF?

But I need a portfolio site really bad. My skills and my portfolio are 10x's what they were a few years ago and I need to get something set up to help me with freelance. My rates have gone up. I used to low ball myself to try to get more work. I'd start at 50 and go down to 20.... seriously. These days I've realized what I'm worth and I start at $100 and go down to $45. There aren't too many folks out there that can illustrate, design for all media and produce anything.

But I don't know isht about actually making a site. I'd like to know more about wordpress. I don't want to just do a cookie cutter site. I understand using templates and that's fine but I want it clean and "me" and I want the URL custom. I don't want one of those... blh blah at this template service. com urls.

Anyone? Hell... if you need it I'll even do some trade. Logo, custom illustration, etc. Or I'll just buy us some pizza and bring over a 12 pack.

Needs to be at your crib though. I have no interwebs at mine for another month or so. Moving. Hence me reaching out for help. LOL.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Ive done some wordpress before and dont mind helping out for free during weekends.. 1 suggestion I do suggest is working with a template helps a lot. Color is easy to mess with but what you really want is the widgets :P Ill pull together a mockup really quick sometime tomorrow.. Do you already have hosting/domain name?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
General Pimpin'

No name but I'm fine to pay for one.

And it's really just a portfolio site so I'm in to that simple clean... all about the artwork look. It's got to be easy and quick. Not flashy nutty stuff. Should be easy but I'm not a very good self learner these days. I do better walking through it with someone to show some of the ins and outs. I have a nutty couple weeks going on but as soon as I finish my move I'll be in to sitting down with someone.

One thing I might be interested in is a store. I might be doing some clothing for myself and possibly some custom artwork/prints.

Basically I want...

About me
Services/cost
Portfolio
Links/blog/contact. Possibly a downloadable portfolio and resume.
Store
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
No name but I'm fine to pay for one.

And it's really just a portfolio site so I'm in to that simple clean... all about the artwork look. It's got to be easy and quick. Not flashy nutty stuff. Should be easy but I'm not a very good self learner these days. I do better walking through it with someone to show some of the ins and outs. I have a nutty couple weeks going on but as soon as I finish my move I'll be in to sitting down with someone.

One thing I might be interested in is a store. I might be doing some clothing for myself and possibly some custom artwork/prints.

Basically I want...

About me
Services/cost
Portfolio
Links/blog/contact. Possibly a downloadable portfolio and resume.
Store
Very easy to setup. If you need domain/hosting my good friend does that and offers it very cheap. (NEVER go with godaddy they are crap). If you are interested I can give you his website/details to purchase. If you get it relatively soon thatd be awesome as being a pre-med student kinda has its down sides when it comes to time :P Luckily its close to the beginning of the quarter.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
General Pimpin'

studying medicine is rad. I'll keep you posted.

Sometimes I think I should have gone that route. I have a knack for the information side of it. For some reason it sticks. I did an MA course but decided to go back to design. Too late in life to start something like medicine. LOL!

I'll help my wife get there instead. She's built for it.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Ray,

Nothing professional but I did both of my websites myself using templates, Third World Society and Brendan Bannister: Photography & Web Design I never really "finished" them since im busy with work and school but you get the idea. I'd be more than happy to build you a site using a template, either one i already own or one youd buy (usually around $45 for a good one) and in exchange you can design me a logo for www.facebook.com/thirdworldsociety

I already pay yearly for webhosting so i can just host your site using mine hosting all you need to do is buy the domain name (usually $13-14) and the template. I suggest taking a look at the wordpress themes at Premium WordPress Themes, Web Templates, Mobile Themes | ThemeForest which is where I bought both of mine. Let me know shoot me a PM or a text and we can go from there.

-Brendan
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Will do.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
weebly.com might work?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalDC5
weebly.com might work?
Might work but those services are kinda dumb... Its better to just make something nice once and for all then to rely on what a company just hands to you.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
I would highly recommend checking out Drupal. Waaay better than Wordpress.

drupal.org
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by EpsilonK
I would highly recommend checking out Drupal. Waaay better than Wordpress.

drupal.org
Depends on the purpose. Wordpress is excellent for end-users. Drupal is perfect for development. Based off my experience at least..