i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/why-you-look-bicyclist-when-youre-out-those-drives-254393/)

04GG 09-20-2013 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=Overbear;3449553]and every mile I see one, I see them rideing double and triple wide. I see them not stop at stop signs, not yeld to the right of way, ride on sidewalks (illegal), ride the wrong way in traffic (illegal). For every car I see break a law, I see 20 bikers break them.

its tragic someone lost their life (well not really but I am expcted to care I guess) but this is the chance to push for change. To start to clean up one of the many problems in modern society, especialy here in the bay area where we are up to our eyeballs in self important, arogant bike riders.[/QUOTE]

Pretty harsh. Arrogant or not, they have basically NO chance against a vehicle. Not ALL bike riders are idiots (a lot are though...) . Don't assume the all are and just give them space. It isn't that big of a deal.

ME? I don't ride on the streets. Simple as that. I don't trust bay area drivers.

slow04wrx 09-20-2013 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Prettym1k3;3449571]Ban bicycles? Are you serious?

Look around. Other countries deem cycling both as a viable mode of transportation, and a healthy lifestyle choice. Additionally, other countries get along just fine because unlike our Detroit-Motor-City-Driving-is-my-right mentality that has been ingrained in us Americans, we don't seem to remember that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as drivers. But the consequences are far greater of both making a mistake, or being hit by a vehicle.

The stupidity and ignorance that will flow forth from this thread will be measured in an astronomical level.[/QUOTE]

Actually no I've never seen other countries where people take their bikes to remote locations / windy canyons with roads that are known to be dangerous for drivers, let alone cyclists. It's a joke how ****ing stupid people are. No reason to risk your life for that.

I have a buddy who works in professional cycling so I'm careful not to offend him. Took a car out on fish ranch road and the berkeley skyline on a friday night and see bikers with horrible lighting riding on an incredibly dangerous road. He mentioned to me how these people are ****ing retarded to go out to a road like this to cycle at night, it's just common sense.

Anyways I hate bikers, the only real danger I encounter is when idiotface jones wants to apex the turn on his cycle in the wrong lane on a blind curve, and I just can't be bothered to look out for such stupidity all the time.

I would go as far as to say any other country where you can bike long distances, the bicycles take a much bigger back seat to the car. Instead we did the typical American bull**** like California of trying to make everybody so safe giving cyclists the right to act as cars when they aren't, the need for super equality and everyone feeling good just good just ****s up the road way.

You ever been to another country and seen a car take a backseat to a bicycle?

Overbear 09-20-2013 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Prettym1k3;3449571]...The stupidity and ignorance that will flow forth from this thread will be measured in an astronomical level.[/QUOTE]

Does the story of the pot and the kettle mean anything to you?

oaklandish_WRX 09-20-2013 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=sfas69;3449564]recently, while i was in [B]so-cal[/B], i noticed more [B]peaceful [/B]interactions amongst [B]drivers[/B], motorcyclist, bicyclists, and [B]pedestrians [/B]- which was a real treat to view and felt good.[/QUOTE]

Pics or it didn't happen...:biggrin1:

bkblitzed 09-20-2013 11:47 AM

Call me selfish/ignorant idc, if you're bicycling on a mountain road ill notice and maybe slow down, but most likely ill just keep going on my pace.

Heedz 09-20-2013 12:02 PM

They're opening up devils slide to bikes sooner or later. Yay for more auto vs peds for usssss

subysteez 09-20-2013 12:03 PM

Up here, most smart cyclists stay off the windy but well traveled roads. That being said, I've had several close calls with some extremely tweaked out bums during the day and night. Even most idiots will hear the scoob coming, but these guys are gone.... no idea what's going on around them.

norcalbro 09-20-2013 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=Overbear;3449525]The solution here is to ban bicycles from the roads. They are a danger to everyone around them, they are an archaic form of transportation, and obsolete.

Really, who still rides one? its like owning a horse and buggy, there is a reason you don't see them on the roads anymore people. 2013, get with it, move on, it ain't 1913 anymore.[/QUOTE]

Wow, can we hope that was sarcasm, not stupidity? The solution is for everyone to pay attention...

Archaic form of transportation? When I ride I'm getting unlimited miles per gallon... Have you seen gas prices lately? No emissions, and good for me...

Danger to everyone around them... Hmmm... How often do cyclist hurt people? By my count it's usually the arrogant ******* in the car that hits a cyclist and guess who gets injured or killed... Not the car driver.

I can't speak for others, but when I go riding, I'm training for a triathlon. I have the same rights on the road as you, the car driver. But you are out cruising roads like that for enjoyment, I'm training for an event to raise money to fight cancer for people I will never meet... Who's the self-entitled one again?:noidea:

bkblitzed 09-20-2013 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=norcalbro;3449625]Wow, can we hope that was sarcasm, not stupidity? The solution is for everyone to pay attention...

Archaic form of transportation? When I ride I'm getting unlimited miles per gallon... Have you seen gas prices lately? No emissions, and good for me...

Danger to everyone around them... Hmmm... How often do cyclist hurt people? By my count it's usually the arrogant ******* in the car that hits a cyclist and guess who gets injured or killed... Not the car driver.

I can't speak for others, but when I go riding, I'm training for a triathlon. I have the same rights on the road as you, the car driver. But you are out cruising roads like that for enjoyment, I'm training for an event to raise money to fight cancer for people I will never meet... Who's the self-entitled one again?:noidea:[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure the one that's acting like a douche.

Rescuer 09-20-2013 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=norcalbro;3449625]Archaic form of transportation? [/QUOTE]
walking and running are so archaic too

:drunk:

Overbear 09-20-2013 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=norcalbro;3449625] Who's the self-entitled one again?:noidea:[/QUOTE]

who, the self-entitled pricks that think its their right to ride 3-4, somtimes 5 abrest in big "packs" of bikes because they are "training" rather than riding single file like the LAW says to.

:suspicious: let me guess what version of the "pro biker" you are.

wombatsauce 09-20-2013 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Overbear;3449553]and every mile I see one, I see them rideing double and triple wide. I see them not stop at stop signs, not yeld to the right of way, ride on sidewalks (illegal), ride the wrong way in traffic (illegal). For every car I see break a law, I see 20 bikers break them.

its tragic someone lost their life (well not really but I am expcted to care I guess) but this is the chance to push for change. To start to clean up one of the many problems in modern society, especialy here in the bay area where we are up to our eyeballs in self important, arogant bike riders.[/QUOTE]

See, I think I am right there with you on this, but while these *******s really do annoy me, I also really enjoy riding my bike. But, you think that outlawing bicycles will make *******s stop being *******s? It will not, and they will just find another way to grind your gears. These are probably also the same types of people that sit there blocking an intersection while they consult their phone to see if maybe it has a clue. Doesn't mean we should outlaw cars and phones.

When I ride, I do so acknowledging that I am not the only person out there, and decisions are made with that in mind. On my ride home last night, there were stop signs where I could see for miles and did not come to a complete stop (but was ready to if needed) and others where I really did not need to, but did so "because that's the rules" and I could not tell that there was not a car coming that would be expecting someone to be following those rules. I would never behave like this in a car or on a moto; on a bicycle, sometimes it is better for everyone if the cyclist does not stop, but rather keeps pace with the intersection. Of course this falls apart when people do not know what to do (eg, 4-way stops anywhere).

When I ride, people in cars are just about annoying to me as people on bicycles are when I am in a car. But, since that is the world I live in, I choose to not be blind to the fact that I probably annoy the living crap out of people around me in ways that I cannot even imagine, just like we all do, so I might as well just do the best I can and not worry about it so much. The funny thing is, there are probably times where people annoy each other equally (say a cyclist and a motorist each waiting for the other to GTFO) and if they would just move the eff on and go about their business, it would not be an issue.

But the concept that I should not be allowed to ride my bike because other people do it badly, is not something I believe in. Yell, scream, blast them with an air horn. Shoot, my wife usually gets in people's faces when they are on the sidewalk on a bike. The worst (or funniest?) thing is when someone comes up behind you and dings a bell or says "excuse me" and expects you to move so they can continue on the sidewalk. Nope. Swedish rage time.

Anyway, you are mad at inconsiderate, arrogant jerks - not "people that ride bicycles" in general. I ride bikes, and those people suck just as much for me too.

wombatsauce 09-20-2013 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=04GG;3449574]Pretty harsh. Arrogant or not, they have basically NO chance against a vehicle. Not ALL bike riders are idiots (a lot are though...) . Don't assume the all are and just give them space. It isn't that big of a deal.

ME? I don't ride on the streets. Simple as that. I don't trust bay area drivers.[/QUOTE]

What trips me out is when there is a whole bike lane, or a shoulder that you could drive a car on, and yet, the cyclist still rides in the middle of the road because "they have the right to" or somesuch. Or the douches that ride side by side chatting with each other while cars line up behind them. Those people suck, and I do not understand why most people seem to prefer to abide this behavior and then whine about it instead of doing something about it.

I don't trust the average driver either, and it will definitely suck when the time comes that I am learning to walk because some idiot was paying attention to a phone whilst hurtling a couple tons of metal down the road. But, you can only take that so far and if I lived my life that way, I would never leave the house.

[QUOTE=slow04wrx;3449580]You ever been to another country and seen a car take a backseat to a bicycle?[/QUOTE]

You're joking, right? Have you ever been to any other country, I mean somewhere that is not America?

[QUOTE=bkblitzed;3449618]Call me selfish/ignorant idc, if you're bicycling on a mountain road ill notice and maybe slow down, but most likely ill just keep going on my pace.[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with ya. The only thing worse than an arrogant cyclist is the passive aggressive idiot in the car allowing the jerk in spandex to ruin their day or the people that seem to require the entire other lane to be free to pass a cyclist. JUST EFFING DRIVE!!!

[QUOTE=Heedz;3449622]They're opening up devils slide to bikes sooner or later. Yay for more auto vs peds for usssss[/QUOTE]

But.. Just the part where you cannot drive cars on, right?

[QUOTE=subysteez;3449624]Up here, most smart cyclists stay off the windy but well traveled roads. That being said, I've had several close calls with some extremely tweaked out bums during the day and night. Even most idiots will hear the scoob coming, but these guys are gone.... no idea what's going on around them.[/QUOTE]

Air horns, for deer and other stupid animals you see in the roads.

[QUOTE=bkblitzed;3449629]im pretty sure the one that's acting like a douche.[/QUOTE]

Oh, snap!

[QUOTE=Rescuer;3449630]walking and running are so archaic too

:drunk:[/QUOTE]

Seriously, are we living in an Amish paradise here or something?

[QUOTE=Overbear;3449632]who, the self-entitled pricks that think its their right to ride 3-4, somtimes 5 abrest in big "packs" of bikes because they are "training" rather than riding single file like the LAW says to.

:suspicious: let me guess what version of the "pro biker" you are.[/QUOTE]

Those people really suck, but I mean WOW there are so many things to be mad about out there. You cannot change this - there will always be inconsiderate jerks out there, some just wear spandex and have things like PANASONIC across their asses. Don't let them get you all mad. Blast your air horn, pass, and laugh.

norcalbro 09-20-2013 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Overbear;3449632]who, the self-entitled pricks that think its their right to ride 3-4, somtimes 5 abrest in big "packs" of bikes because they are "training" rather than riding single file like the LAW says to.

:suspicious: let me guess what version of the "pro biker" you are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, take a guess. The kind that follows all laws, rides single file, and still sees people swerve at cyclists because they are douche bags

OneManArmy 09-20-2013 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=norcalbro;3449625]Wow, can we hope that was sarcasm, not stupidity? The solution is for everyone to pay attention...

I can't speak for others, but when I go riding, I'm training for a triathlon. I have the same rights on the road as you, the car driver. But you are out cruising roads like that for enjoyment, I'm training for an event to raise money to fight cancer for people I will never meet... Who's the self-entitled one again?:noidea:[/QUOTE]

Here's something for mr.angermanagement to consider.

In order to ban cyclists from roads you're going to have to pass more legislature. That's more tax money. Then you're going to have to put up signs. Then you're going to have to enforce it.

It's one more place for the government to be that they do not belong.

You want to ride where it's unsafe... so be it. But if you get hit being a retard it's your own damned fault. This comes from a guy who got hit and blew up the left side of his body and didn't put the blame on the driver.

It's already gotten to the point where you can't MTB anywhere. Bastards like mr.angermanagement push their cause through the system and close down trails state wide. So they can hike with their headphones on not paying attention to their surroundings.