This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives.

Former Amazon Star Exec Killed in Bike Accident - Yahoo Finance

This happened on skyline.

Here's the local report.
50-year-old bicyclist killed in crash with minivan in Woodside | abc7news.com

You have to look because a lot of the time... they're not. Same goes when you're on a bike. Don't assume people are going to see you or move for you. I've been hit. It sucks.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Honestly stop signs on a 2 lane highway? No...

On the flip side some of these guys take up the road on purpose and refuse to let anyone by. I understand a lot of people like to ride up there but seriously they need to pay attention themselves, that's what I did when I biked all the time in middle/high school. It's something that's expected. Speed limit is 50-55 on Skyline, what's a bicyclisting doing? 10-20mph at the most? Way too big of a difference. Can't always blame the driver.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
It goes both ways. Drivers AND bicyclists both need to be smarter. Drivers need to pay more attention to driving, bicyclists have to act less entitled and act more in self-preservation.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
It goes both ways. Drivers AND bicyclists both need to be smarter. Drivers need to pay more attention to driving, bicyclists have to act less entitled and act more in self-preservation.
Damn skippy.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
and Jeremy needs to be hip before the hipsters.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Agreed. I am biking in today as well and it's scary out there. Personally I do a good amount of riding, but I have never understood why someone would want to bike down HWY 35, 9, 84, or many others out there. Any time a cyclist has tried to explain this to me, they have allowed themselves to ignore some significant facts about these roads.

I was out there last weekend and coming back from 35 and 84, I was behind a cyclist that was just cruising down the road, but taking up the entire lane without seeming to even notice the train of cars behind them. People can choose to do this, but it seems really stupid to me. I was not in a hurry, so did not bother with it, but it did make me think about it a lot.

Whenever I ride, I do my best to do so in such a way that does not get in the way of other traffic, since I know that this traffic could kill me and it is most likely texting right now. As someone who drives cars, rides cycles and motorcycles, I think it's really weird when someone who uses just one of those devices chooses to ignore the real aspects of the others.

That being said, I am about to get on my bike and ride El Camino from SSF to Belmont.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
I bike and drive Skyline sometimes, and its two totally different perspectives one could argue.

When biking, on some of the areas on skyline, there just isn't enough space on the side of the road to safely cruise on, causing bikers to stay on the road. To add on, some drivers go full retard and cut bikers on a blind corner, or pass on corners. Its the scariest **** i've faced, as a driver of a BMW cut me off at the Apex of the turn, and he came towards the outside of the lane, I thought I was a goner... However, some large groups of bikers, some of them are just out right retarded, and bike side by side, which causes a biker or two to be in the middle of the lane blocking the road, and can be dangerous on a blind corner. Not to mention some think they are just as strong as a car. I make sure or try to give driver space, to pass, or pull off to the side and let drivers pass. But sometimes theres that one driver who just tailgates you like a dick and tails you within 10feet of your rear wheel... -_-

While driving, I always give bikers plenty of space, and pass when I think it is okay, or safe enough too, specifically the straights. However, some bikers are dicks and purposely get in your way. its like WTF.... What makes lots of the road bad is that some drivers have plenty of space to pass bikes, but always stay at their speed. I get its to keep bikers safe, but on the other hand, some bikers should pull off to the side especially on uphill sections of road.

In conclusion.. Drivers just need to be more patient, and Bikers need to be much more courteous....
Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Drive a car = watch out for cyclists, give them room and make sure everything is safe

Ride a bike = watch out for cars, give them room and make sure everything is safe
Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 2013 SWP Wrx Sedan
Ohh so that's what happened, Me and my boy was riding out there that day, had a fellow biker on a ZX6R passing by telling us to turn back since there was an accident. That path is pretty dangerous, expecially at night with deers out and about too.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
This happened on Skyline, but it can happen anywhere. About a week and a half ago there was a bicycle accident on Hesperian in Hayward right across the street from the gas station around 4:30 in the afternoon. An SUV rear ended the bicyclist. One of the most gruesome things I have ever seen. I almost puked. A lady tried to pump the bicyclist's chest and you could see blood squirting out of his head. I'm pretty sure the guy wa already dead when I passed by. Everyone needs to be a little more patient.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
The solution here is to ban bicycles from the roads. They are a danger to everyone around them, they are an archaic form of transportation, and obsolete.

Really, who still rides one? its like owning a horse and buggy, there is a reason you don't see them on the roads anymore people. 2013, get with it, move on, it ain't 1913 anymore.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Overbear
The solution here is to ban bicycles from the roads. They are a danger to everyone around them, they are an archaic form of transportation, and obsolete.

Really, who still rides one? its like owning a horse and buggy, there is a reason you don't see them on the roads anymore people. 2013, get with it, move on, it ain't 1913 anymore.
So, you're saying we should all just abolish something that you do not necessarily appreciate, understand or agree with?

The solution is definitely not to ban bicycles. They are not a danger to anyone around them, they are a very efficient form of transportation, and will probably never be obsolete. Many people ride them, every day. You cannot drive a mile without seeing a couple bicycles.

Now if we could simply ban people that operate any form of machinery being stupid and in-attentive, well that would really be something.

Also, I will gladly swap my bike for a hoverboard.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The solution is definitely not to ban bicycles. They are not a danger to anyone around them, they are a very efficient form of transportation, and will probably never be obsolete. Many people ride them, every day. You cannot drive a mile without seeing a couple bicycles.
and every mile I see one, I see them rideing double and triple wide. I see them not stop at stop signs, not yeld to the right of way, ride on sidewalks (illegal), ride the wrong way in traffic (illegal). For every car I see break a law, I see 20 bikers break them.

its tragic someone lost their life (well not really but I am expcted to care I guess) but this is the chance to push for change. To start to clean up one of the many problems in modern society, especialy here in the bay area where we are up to our eyeballs in self important, arogant bike riders.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Car Info: should i get brz, bro?
it's sad to see someone pass under these circumstances. i guess it's difficult to ascertain what actually transpired between the driver and the bicyclist.

recently, while i was in so-cal, i noticed more peaceful interactions amongst drivers, motorcyclist, bicyclists, and pedestrians - which was a real treat to view and felt good.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Ban bicycles? Are you serious?

Look around. Other countries deem cycling both as a viable mode of transportation, and a healthy lifestyle choice. Additionally, other countries get along just fine because unlike our Detroit-Motor-City-Driving-is-my-right-get-out-of-my-way mentality that has been ingrained in us as Americans, we don't seem to remember that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as drivers. But the consequences are far greater for both making a mistake, or being hit by a vehicle. And if you value someone's life, as a human being should, then the driver should take additional care near a cyclist, and just the same the cyclist should not be riding like an idiot with headphones in while commuting home in traffic.

The stupidity and ignorance that will flow forth from this thread will be measured in an astronomical level.

Last edited by Prettym1k3; 09-20-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: This is why you look for bicyclist when you're out on those drives.