Who wants Formula Drift back at Race Sonoma?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
Originally Posted by jblanco325
this may be a retarded question... but hey I've been way out of the loop.
why is it banned or discontinued? and aren't they still doing the wed night fun drifts??
They stopped coming to Infineon because FD was really an expensive event and not enough people were coming out to them. I also heard that the drivers hate the track. There probably butt hurt cuz its a tough course though.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I just want them to do larger courses for the am drift events... and do more of them with better judging.

If they do a D1 event they should try and partner up with global and do a time attack event as well.
I know there is a lot of talk to get Sonoma to do a partial track set up on Wed for Drift and Drag. Mostly for group C (pro-class) to do tandam. Not a bad idea but I know Sonoma will say they dont have the man power to do it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Heedz
Do you see my view of this too?

Im not saying its a bad thing to do but looks what its led into, I need 500+ hp on my daily driver, I need more power in the GT-86 it's gotta have a v8 for it so I can do uphills. I don't think all people who have LS swaps are like this as you've pointed out but its plain annoying when you have friends tell you go to watch a video on the drift day a couple weeks ago and announcers are bagging on SR swaps saying they should've only done an LS. It's complete bull**** in my opinion. Another prime example in this community itself, when I say I'd rather have a 2.0 and not a 2.5, and you get these confused faces, yeah that's whats ridiculous about the car culture these days.

I'm not trying to bag on all guys who are ionvolved but this I'm just saying in general that's how people are looking into this these days.

Yeah for sure... I just watched as my cousin progressed in his abilities and his car progressed from stock to stock SR to built turbo SR to LS1. He and his room mate both got better as they want along and demanding more.

But yeah... lot of wannabe's out there and a lot of people doing swaps that are totally unnecessary... like an LS1 in a 510... WTF?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Sonoma has ghey sound restrictions that they only seem to enforce during events like RTA and drift. Good luck getting anything good going out there other than big name racing series like NAYSCAAAR or something with Danika...(sp)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Signed, hope they bring formula D back to Sonoma!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

But yeah... lot of wannabe's out there and a lot of people doing swaps that are totally unnecessary... like an LS1 in a 510... WTF?
Definitely what I despise. lol.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM

haha thanks for people who signed.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM

bump... for no reason
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I think you are WAY off base in saying that drifting is a major reason why people want to do stupid swaps. Have you ever tried holding a good angle in a 240 with an OEM motor? If you did you would understand why EVERYONE would rather do it with a v8. An SR is better, but still not nearly as much power and consistent response as an LS. Now put two 240's next to each other and see which one looks better going sideways, is it the one struggling to keep it's rear end loose or is it the one burning rubber like crazy? Drifting is an entirely JUDGED event, meaning it is all about looking good. If you want to be competitive, you need to look good, and it is waaaaay easier to look good with a v8.

The LS1 is not unnecessary, it's damn near mandatory.

Anyway, I've met a fair number of drifters and those guys have better attitudes and are way more into actually driving than most of the other "car guys" I've met. I'd rather hang out with drifters than stance/flush people who just want to look good.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Gancherov
I think you are WAY off base in saying that drifting is a major reason why people want to do stupid swaps. Have you ever tried holding a good angle in a 240 with an OEM motor? If you did you would understand why EVERYONE would rather do it with a v8. An SR is better, but still not nearly as much power and consistent response as an LS. Now put two 240's next to each other and see which one looks better going sideways, is it the one struggling to keep it's rear end loose or is it the one burning rubber like crazy? Drifting is an entirely JUDGED event, meaning it is all about looking good. If you want to be competitive, you need to look good, and it is waaaaay easier to look good with a v8.

Anyway, I've met a fair number of drifters and those guys have better attitudes and are way more into actually driving than most of the other "car guys" I've met. I'd rather hang out with drifters than stance/flush people who just want to look good.

werd.

My cousin and his buddy both have them in their 240's and I'd say they're two of the top 5 ams in the state. I personally love the swap.

It's not really necessary to drift but if you want to go next level it sure as hell helps. It's hard to keep up with a 650hp v8 drifting when you've got a 280hp turbo motor... hell my cousin went from a fully build SR to an LS1. Dependability is another one.

I'm feeling you....
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Rb20.....
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Gancherov

There is an old Best Motoring International DVD featuring top US vs Japanese drifter showdown. US drifters of course showed up with their V8 and looked real good...right until they all got put into a bog standard MIATA. Guess what? US drivers didn't fare well because they were just got used to pressing the loud pedal. They struggled with every technique. Yet the Japanese drifters had no issues, massive turbo power or a lowly 1.8L NA banger.

At the professional level, yes power comes into play. Anything below that, it is overcompensation for lack of skill and desire to push yourself technically.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 11-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.