Whatever happened to the Discovery channel (and the like...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Whatever happened to the Discovery channel (and the like...)

Man, I swear, when I was in Jr High and High School, the discover channel used to have the best educational programs, like science documentaries and programming that had to do with learning (but making it interesting), but now all they show is crappy, CRAPPY shows like "American Chopper", "Cash Cab", "Dirty Jobs", and other reality shows like that. I don't really like reality TV so these shows are awful and I can't watch them... At least if they were on another channel, but to have them on the discover channel makes it all that much worse.

The "Learning" channel is even worse, WAY worse... It's about Kate+8 or whatever that lame *** show is about... Every show they air is some crappy reality show about some abnormal family, it's RIDICULOUS and I've actually deleted TLC from my channel line up so I don't even have to skim through the channel as I'm looking for something to watch.

The only channel I have left is the History channel and it's varients (International History and The Military Channel), but even it is falling into the sad realm of reality TV! I admit there is one show that I do enjoy, and that is "Pawn Stars", I dunno why, it's just interesting to me, other than that however, I can't stand shows like "ice road truckers" (especially with all it's fake sound effects and simulations that are made to look real)... What has TV come to!? No wonder the internet has become so popular, it's a way for us to escape normal TV programming!

to Discover and The Learning Channel, and sadly soon to be The History Channel (which is formally known as "The Hitler Channel" due to all of the WWII stuff they used to air, which was fine by me because I love WWII documentaries).

At least the History Channel still has documentaries on war and things "History"... Sadly there are shows like Ice Road Truckers and American Pickers... Lets hope they don't continue with these crappy shows and that these shows get pulled soon and they return to broadcasting educational stuff like they are supposed to!

/Rant

(I know many of you feel the same way I do, this is the thread to rant in!)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
I love the discovery channels.

Science, History et al. are chock full of learning programs. Its just the primetime BS that is "Dirty Jobs", "Mythbusters" and other programs like that. I only see cash cab on at 3pm and 6am, anymore.

"Sunrise Earth" on HD Theater is one of my favorite shows ever
Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Car Info: N/A
Yeah I used to watch the Discovery Channel all the time and the Science Channel as well. I still watch the History Channel but not as much because the programming is starting to suck. This is the kind of **** they want to teach the youth of our country. Here kids be more concerned about watching other peoples lives instead of living your own. Now that I'm older and don't go out on weekend nights as much as I used to and I can't even find anything worth watching on TV anymore. I've found myself getting back into building RC cars again lately just to fill the time doing something creative. Either that or watch old movies with the wifey.

**** all major broadcasting companies for ruining television.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

discovery channel spawned off their own network.

one downside to this is that they dont have enough programming to cover all their channels so they repeat... repeat... and repeat.

and yes one thing is that crappy programming gets played.

write to the discovery channel and let them know how you feel about their programming.

i thought after kate and 8 got divorced, i thought that the show would die a slow death. it didnt. she got tons of plastic surgery and she looks really good now.

take american chopper. that show will not die. now it's jr vs sr... sigh... even though it was bounced from the main discovery channel to tlc.

only thing i wish would happen is that discovery ID and the military channel would get their HD versions up and running...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
I like Dirty Jobs, its not really educational, but you can learn about different off the grid careers.

Cash Cab I think is educational. Can learn a lot of random facts, never know when you might need to know some of it
Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
How It's Made and other similar shows on Science FTW!

It may seem boring to some, but for me, it's super interesting (manufacturing processes, machinery, etc.)

Also, Deconstructed.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by dSpec
How It's Made and other similar shows on Science FTW!

It may seem boring to some, but for me, it's super interesting (manufacturing processes, machinery, etc.)

Also, Deconstructed.
"How it's made" has no relation to this rant as it IS an educational documentary, it's NOT a reality show of any sort and falls into the original good programming of the network.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX Wagon
WRC on HDT

yeah it's hard to find educational programs these days but really the only thing anybody should be worried about is WRC on HD Theatre. Germany Rally Sunday Sept. 5th!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I love pawn stars. I hate top shot
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by brucelee
Man, I swear, when I was in Jr High and High School, the discover channel used to have the best educational programs,
Brucelee,

I'm not sure how old you are, but I can remember when the original MTV play music videos all day! I guess I'm dating my self now... I know MTV had nothing to do with education whatsoever, but it just goes to show how TV has changed over the years. Discovery channel use to be one of my favorite stations. Now, there are only a few shows I enjoy watching anymore.

Derek
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
yeah, i remember the good ol' days of Discovery channel when it still had shows that inspired that group (The Bloodhound Gang) to sing those lines

You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals
So let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
It's all about natgeo!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by sigma pi
I love pawn stars. I hate top shot
+1 to Pawn Stars. It's interesting to see all these random things that people have lying around.

I tried watching Top Shot once because they were advertising their finale every 10 seconds. It was horrid.

Also a +1 to Nat Geo, they have some pretty interesting shows. I don't watch a lot of TV, so reruns aren't really reruns to me, since majority of the stuff I haven't seen.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by DerekB707
I'm not sure how old you are, but I can remember when the original MTV play music videos all day! I guess I'm dating my self now... I know MTV had nothing to do with education whatsoever, but it just goes to show how TV has changed over the years. Discovery channel use to be one of my favorite stations. Now, there are only a few shows I enjoy watching anymore.

Derek
MTV is so far from "Music TeleVision" its not even funny.

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
"Sunrise Earth" on HD Theater is one of my favorite shows ever
Great show, especially in HD and ESPECIALLY bright and early in the morning.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
+1 to Pawn Stars. It's interesting to see all these random things that people have lying around.

I tried watching Top Shot once because they were advertising their finale every 10 seconds. It was horrid.

Also a +1 to Nat Geo, they have some pretty interesting shows. I don't watch a lot of TV, so reruns aren't really reruns to me, since majority of the stuff I haven't seen.
Damn ok we have the same tastes

nat geo is extra here. if you give it the thumbs up i may have to spring for it

Quick Reply: Whatever happened to the Discovery channel (and the like...)