What do yall think of this brake set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
What do yall think of this brake set up?

My last set of Stoptech rotors is about shot, the AXXIS pads too. The rotors lasted about ±50,000 miles. I was never happy with the braking power. It always felt a little lacking. I have rally school this weekend so I am definitely going to need a new setup after.

EDIT: forgot to mention this is on the crappy stock calipers.

Mostly just tool around but sometimes spirited driving up in the hills.

DBA 4000 Series T-Slot Slotted rotors front and rear
Hawk HPS pads
StopTech stainless lines
Motul RBF 600

Got it quoted for $578 shipped. (does not include lines as I already have those)

Thanks for any input gentlemen.

Sorry for asking newbish questions here but search never works out for me. I always find to much or not enough info on stuff or it is from 5 years ago. I did spend about an hour searching i-club posts.

Last edited by queeg9k; 06-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I prefer the DBA rotor's I know they are or can be pricy, but I always have preferred them and haven't had a problem with them.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I prefer the DBA rotor's I know they are or can be pricy, but I always have preferred them and haven't had a problem with them.
I have never been one to cheap out on stuff either. When I can afford it I would like to do the factory 4pots perhaps when this set of pads is done.

How many miles are you getting out of the DBA rotors? (although I guess that is subjective as I do not drive my car very hard, don't know about you)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
As long as you aren't doing track days, the HPS pads should be fine. I had a similar setup in my 05 wagon and after 1 track day, there was noticeable fade. But that could have been because i was braking so damn much.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by queeg9k
I have never been one to cheap out on stuff either. When I can afford it I would like to do the factory 4pots perhaps when this set of pads is done.

How many miles are you getting out of the DBA rotors? (although I guess that is subjective as I do not drive my car very hard, don't know about you)
I don't remember. But I think I got maybe 60,000. I didn't turn them though, I had heat cracked them so I replaced them instead. Running on Wilwood 4pots. When I first upgraded to the Wilwoods, I was boiling out my brake fluid on Mt. Hamiton runs until I got the DBA's.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Giibo
As long as you aren't doing track days, the HPS pads should be fine. I had a similar setup in my 05 wagon and after 1 track day, there was noticeable fade. But that could have been because i was braking so damn much.
Not planning on tracking this setup. If I where going to start tracking this car I would get a track specific setup and not ruin my daily stuff (not that I could afford it).
Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
I am running the HPS pads on cryo-stop rotors on my wagon and they are a good setup. I think the DBA's will be better though. I was hoping for better bite using the HPS, but they felt the same as the OEM replacement ones, which is fine for everyday driving. They supposedly have better resistance to brake fade, although I haven't autocrossed or tracked the car in the setup to test it out.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I love my Cryo Treated Slotted rotors and Project MU Race pads. My only complaint is the low speed noise (due to brakes being cold) and the amount of brake dust that is created. other than that i love my brake setup. Car stops with ease at any speed esp high speeds, just noisy until they warm up. Car is an STI tho..
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I like the DBA's, just swapped to stoptechs as I told you. I don't like the last set up of hawks I had, didn't like them in a couple other cars too. If you wanna spend the money, I'd dive into the Porterfield R4S.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I went with the dba 4000 rotors, and ferodo 2500 pads
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I ran Hawk HPSs with Cryostops and I was not impressed at all. If you are going with stoptech rotors, just get the Stoptech SP pads too. The cryostops were fine, it was the HPSs that I didn't like, and I probably won't use them again. The Stoptech SPs are definitely the best street pads I've run and I will continue to use them.

To be honest, the stock brakes aren't that bad, even the 2-pots. I am running Goodridge SST lines, Brembo blanks and the SPs and it works VERY well. Not sure they'd hold up to a few track days, but for the price, you really can't beat it for the street.

Last edited by 04GG; 06-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by queeg9k
My last set of Stoptech rotors is about shot, the AXXIS pads too. The rotors lasted about ±50,000 miles. I was never happy with the braking power. It always felt a little lacking. I have rally school this weekend so I am definitely going to need a new setup after.

EDIT: forgot to mention this is on the crappy stock calipers.

Mostly just tool around but sometimes spirited driving up in the hills.

DBA 4000 Series T-Slot Slotted rotors front and rear
Hawk HPS pads
StopTech stainless lines
Motul RBF 600

Got it quoted for $578 shipped. (does not include lines as I already have those)

Thanks for any input gentlemen.

Sorry for asking newbish questions here but search never works out for me. I always find to much or not enough info on stuff or it is from 5 years ago. I did spend about an hour searching i-club posts.

This is pretty much the set up I run. You don't need to run Motul for a street set up. I run valvoline and it's never boiled. I boiled motul several times.... hmmm...

If you're looking to save a buck you can run a lower rotor in the back. Like a stoptech/centric slotted. They don't see as much heat or pressure.

But if you have the dough I'd get DBA. They last forever and take a beating. Best rotor I've used on my car.

Hawk pads.... if you want, I have a brand new set in my garage right now. I'll sell em to you for what I paid. I'm planning on going LGT when I do my brakes next time so I won't be using the pads. And I have a set of hawk rears that are probably 85%. Not sure.

It's a very good set up for a street driven car and will survive on the track.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Heedz
I like the DBA's, just swapped to stoptechs as I told you. I don't like the last set up of hawks I had, didn't like them in a couple other cars too. If you wanna spend the money, I'd dive into the Porterfield R4S.
I see the pads did you use their rotors too?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
IHMO expensive rotors were a waste of money for most people. It's just metal to street cars. For reputable brands you need to meet a certain standard so they should all be pretty similar.

Hawk HPS pads though....garbage. Pick a different pad.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Brfatal
IHMO expensive rotors were a waste of money for most people. It's just metal to street cars. For reputable brands you need to meet a certain standard so they should all be pretty similar.

Hawk HPS pads though....garbage. Pick a different pad.
Let me know when you destroy one of those cheap rotors.

You use an abrasive pad against cheap *** rotors and you drive hard... destroyed. I've completely destroyed a few rotors include some reputable ones... like centric.

So if you drive around like a grandma then sure... stay stock. But if you push it at all then an upgrade is just that... and upgrade. And running nice lines, nice pads and ****ty rotors is like putting a ****ty skinny tire on your nice wide wheels.... but then again... people do that all the time.

I've run 3 sets of HPS pads and they've been just fine for me. I've run Axxis. Nice pad. I like porterfields.

I certainly wouldn't call hawk garbage. They are sensitive to proper bedding though. And they are an aggressive pad when they're cold. So if you drive like a grandma with ****ty rotors they're definitely not the right pad for you.

If you're gonna run a ****ty rotor you're better off using a quality blank.

Quick Reply: What do yall think of this brake set up?