What "American cars" are really made in America?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by aboothman
The question is not whether the parts are actually made here, but whether the majority of the money we pay is going to American companies, and into the American economy.
Bingo.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Pretty funny.. I have had friends who will only "buy American" and when this is said I ask "you mean made in America like a Camry or an American brand like my Camaro that was made in Canada?"
the flip side to that is people who say they will NEVER buy another american car and only buy a toyota or honda because "american" cars are all terrible.
Orly?

Welcome to globalization folks, hell every BMW X3 in THE WORLD is made in Georgia.
Right on their frontpage, http://www.bmwusa.com/
Spartanburg, South Carolina: the birthplace of every X3 around the world.
Thats right, people in Germany are actually driving their own BMWs that were made right here in America. Wow.

Which one? My Tremek TR6060 was made in Mexico, and I think that's what the 6spd manual (Manuel?) is in the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger and the Viper.

BTW all the 08 plus corvettes use 6060s too, my 07 came with the age old T56 and I switched it out for a 6060, theyre only $2700 brand new straight from GM for a bullitproof 6-speed, cheaper than a used suby six speed!

and all LS engine blocks are cast, but not assembled in the GM mexico plant.

Last edited by Krinkov; 02-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Krinkov
BTW all the 08 plus corvettes use 6060s too, my 07 came with the age old T56 and I switched it out for a 6060, theyre only $2700 brand new straight from GM for a bullitproof 6-speed, cheaper than a used suby six speed!
I wonder if the 6060 would fit in an old Benz?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
There's one in my car we can measure, but that's a pretty small car - it might not need such a beefcake tranny, and there might be fitment issues in the tunnel. Are you thinking an LS swap in the Benz?

J - not sure how many miles you have on yours but I just turned over 10k and did an oil change - shifts like BUTTAH now where it was a bit notchy before. Just used the standard GM part numbers.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
VIP Member

There's one in my car we can measure, but that's a pretty small car - it might not need such a beefcake tranny, and there might be fitment issues in the tunnel. Are you thinking an LS swap in the Benz?

J - not sure how many miles you have on yours but I just turned over 10k and did an oil change - shifts like BUTTAH now where it was a bit notchy before. Just used the standard GM part numbers.
Haha, not seriously thinking, just enjoying the thought. I've heard of some people putting in a BMW Getrag 5-speed (the original 5-speeds are hard to come by, the 4-speed manual is a little more common) but I absolutely despise BMW clutches.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 AM

heres a 6060 (same size as a T56) without the bellhousing and tail housing, the way it goes into a vette, pretty compact for the TQ they can hold, with both housings about the same weight as a suby 6-speed, about 100 pounds, I know because Ive hauled both of each around quite a bit
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM

crap well that pic didnt work, anyhow heres a size comparison of the different T56 trans which are the same size as the 6060, check the measurements to see if they fit!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

crap well that pic didnt work, anyhow heres a size comparison of the different T56 trans which are the same size as the 6060, check the measurements to see if they fit!

I still say that is a beefcake for such a small/delicate car. But, the tranny choice often boils down to the engine choice. What to do with a car like this? Well it depends - is it going to be a show car, hood up a lot, people poking around or is it going to be something to DRIVE and enjoy and hopefully not have to mess with. Basically I am saying, do you toy with fancypants German drivetrains or just sa F it and put in a nice reliable Toyota lump and a Toyota 5spd. One path will get you MADD R3SPECT at car shows and forums, and one path will yield a fun to drive, reliable car.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

I still say that is a beefcake for such a small/delicate car. But, the tranny choice often boils down to the engine choice. What to do with a car like this? Well it depends - is it going to be a show car, hood up a lot, people poking around or is it going to be something to DRIVE and enjoy and hopefully not have to mess with. Basically I am saying, do you toy with fancypants German drivetrains or just sa F it and put in a nice reliable Toyota lump and a Toyota 5spd. One path will get you MADD R3SPECT at car shows and forums, and one path will yield a fun to drive, reliable car.
Fun to drive and reliable is the route for this car. It'll never been a show car (without TONS of work) because at one point it was a daily driver up in SF so she has a few battle scars. Of course though, the goal at this point is to just get her running. A swap is something to consider once I've relocated and settled down in SoCal. If I did do a motor swap it'd be to the Merc 3.5L V8. The car is actually already on its second block (a sedan block, same as the roadster but with different heads. I think it still has the roadster heads though) so a matching numbers show car is really not in its future. I'm more of a function over form person though, thats why I have a Subaru.

Anyways, this is a conversation for all of us to have at Half Moon Bay Brew Co., yes?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Fun to drive and reliable is the route for this car. It'll never been a show car (without TONS of work) because at one point it was a daily driver up in SF so she has a few battle scars. Of course though, the goal at this point is to just get her running. A swap is something to consider once I've relocated and settled down in SoCal. If I did do a motor swap it'd be to the Merc 3.5L V8. The car is actually already on its second block (a sedan block, same as the roadster but with different heads. I think it still has the roadster heads though) so a matching numbers show car is really not in its future. I'm more of a function over form person though, thats why I have a Subaru.

Anyways, this is a conversation for all of us to have at Half Moon Bay Brew Co., yes?
WHOA WHOA WAIT A MINUTE HERE... How did I let that slip by? WTF?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM

have a feeling it has something to do with his change of relationship status on FB
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

have a feeling it has something to do with his change of relationship status on FB
Ah. I'm not a FB member.. That is so played out.

Oh wait. Wrong thread?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Ah. I'm not a FB member.. That is so played out.

Oh wait. Wrong thread?
lol you are SOOOOO busted!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Hahahaha! It's been part of my plan all along, move down to San Diego area after doing the Davis brew school.

lol you are SOOOOO busted!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Hahahaha! It's been part of my plan all along, move down to San Diego area after doing the Davis brew school.

I have a TV.. But I don't ever watch it. I just use it to watch old esoteric movies that you have probably never heard about.

Quick Reply: What "American cars" are really made in America?