warning... chp task force checking baffles in:

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Originally Posted by I<3subie
Going to put my stock cbe back on for a bit. Till this all blows over.
Any thoughts on how long they will be doing this for?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB
damn i hate driving with my silencer that licks *****
Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by JArnaud
Any thoughts on how long they will be doing this for?
This stuff always picks up when a Fast and the Furious movie comes out. Every single time, the cops ramp up on their pulling over of modified import cars. Not only that though, but also with the economy and how broke Cali is, it wouldn't surprise me if their bosses were basically saying to them "Hey no more 'just letting all those modified exhaust guys go because there are too many to pull them ALL over' business. We need money, and speeding infractions aren't cutting it...blah blah blah." I mean, as bad as the CHP tends to be, when compared to local LEO, there are still the cool ones in the CHP who understand/own their own import, or are just real car guys at heart who don't have a bias towards domestics over imports. Don't get me wrong, **** like this scares me when you think of driving around with a 3.5" APS exhaust that borders on being a straight pipe, but I also understand that these guys are doing their job, and paying their own bills or providing for their families just like the rest of us. I'd still probably cry in a corner like a girl if I got ref'd though.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by norcalwrx209
damn i hate driving with my silencer that licks *****
silencer! thats the word i was thinking of.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i have a solution. just don't run a canister style (read: ricer) exhaust. done.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Some people probably do it for "aesthetics", but there are quite a few of us, myself included, who ONLY run the largest, catless, turboback setup because it's the only option to make the power we're making/want to make. Believe me, The "angle" of my muffler has nothing to do with my choice in exhausts, and if someone made a true 3.5" exhaust like the APS, that was built to move the gas efficiently, but do so without all the excess noise, I'd be first on the list. Lamborghini (among other exotic manufacturers) manages to make a V12 super car with an exhaust that apparently isn't louder than 95decibels, but no one seems to make exhausts for us Subie guys who run over 400whp, that don't make so much noise.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
Fujitsubo ftw!! Was pulled over yesterday, But because my exhaust wasnt loud (catted full 3" tbe) and have no other modifications to my motor, besides an intake/charge pipe, he let me go. He was more worried about my sticker on the front windshield and my exhaust "hanging" to low?? ahah..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
Originally Posted by vodka
This stuff always picks up when a Fast and the Furious movie comes out. Every single time, the cops ramp up on their pulling over of modified import cars. Not only that though, but also with the economy and how broke Cali is, it wouldn't surprise me if their bosses were basically saying to them "Hey no more 'just letting all those modified exhaust guys go because there are too many to pull them ALL over' business. We need money, and speeding infractions aren't cutting it...blah blah blah." I mean, as bad as the CHP tends to be, when compared to local LEO, there are still the cool ones in the CHP who understand/own their own import, or are just real car guys at heart who don't have a bias towards domestics over imports. Don't get me wrong, **** like this scares me when you think of driving around with a 3.5" APS exhaust that borders on being a straight pipe, but I also understand that these guys are doing their job, and paying their own bills or providing for their families just like the rest of us. I'd still probably cry in a corner like a girl if I got ref'd though.
yup this is soo true. all the Fast and the furius movies attracts unwanted attention if you know what i mean if you wanna watch it my advice is to drive a stock car or something closer to that so you wouldnt get notice by the popos.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by lzykid4life
Fujitsubo ftw!! Was pulled over yesterday, But because my exhaust wasnt loud (catted full 3" tbe) and have no other modifications to my motor, besides an intake/charge pipe, he let me go. He was more worried about my sticker on the front windshield and my exhaust "hanging" to low?? ahah..
Unfortunately Fujitsubo isn't FTW. A guy got ref'd cause of his Fujitsubo earlier today.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by tony1w
+1 of the hush
Don't get carry away because you have borla hush. I got pulled over for loud exhaust tonight. As for exhuast/power mods, I only have Borla hush cat-back and CARB legal K&N intake. He followed me right next to me for a mile and then lighted me up for exhaust. Look under the hood. Thankfully, he let me go. He said I might be smog legal, but not for the noise. He also noticed my morettes headlights. Also, let me go on that. I told him the truth. He seemed to be well informed about subaru and teaching the other/younger officers while looking under the hood. I think our good time in bay area is over. He knew what he was looking for- i.e. looking at my downpipe. Good thing I swaped all my power mods to stock except for a catback and carb intake. I have been pulled over for loud exhuast before less than 3 month ago. I was definitely not speeding this time. Because CHP followed me from the stop light.
Ok now I need to put my stock catback back on. I take that road all the time.... Who has/know where I can buy stock bugeye headlights for cheap?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
I think it subaru's turn. F&F seem to have ruined it for us. I'm sure johnny law has taken note of the cars from those movies and learned them. So we are now screwed.
Which is why we have all been getting stopped now.

Time is near to buy that. MB 350.. I know they wouldn't even glance at that.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Lboogie
Kinda, they are usually referred to as the "silencer". There's baffles actually inside the muffler case. Think of how a maze looks, with the walls going different directions, that's what the baffles look like. Now if you are in a maze and there's walls that turn left/right/or even 180 degrees/etc, you have a hard time sprinting from "in" to "out".

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/fuelSys/...p/muffler.html
Nice find on the pic, I was looking for something similar. Usually they poke a stick in the muffler and if it goes in a little way, it has a baffle and is considered a "standard muffler" but if it goes through the muffler to the first bend, there is no baffle and it's a "performance muffler" so to speak. The silencer is the popped-umbrella shaped thing you shove in your fart cannon, usually has a set screw on the bottom.

This sucks as my car is loud as well, but unintentionally. I put a nice muffler on it a while back and it sounded great, but was not loud. Now, I have replaced my manifold due to an issue with the OEM precats failing and destroying the engine ('02 MR2) and have since passed smog, but for some reason it has gotten way louder to the point that it's actually annoying now. I took it to a couple exhaust shops and the best I am told is "if you remove the entire back of your car, I might be able to put a stock Camaro muffler in there" which makes me sad. I guess I better figure it out before it's too late. I am gonna try plugging one of the duals to see if it makes it quieter as I have heard the single outlet version of my exhaust is quieter. Probably should just spend the money now and get a new exhaust, but I am not remotely interested in what my car will sound like with a stock Camaro muffler.