Want a Netbooks, should I wait until after CES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Want a Netbooks, should I wait until after CES?

So I've been wanting to pick up a netbook for my business use. But since CES is going on right now (jan 8-11), should I wait until after to see if anything new coming out? So I can either pickup a newer model or current model for cheap? Not really in a rush but just impatient...

Also, not sure how reliable is this review for netbooks. I was looking at a Lenovo S10 before that review. Basically something with Atom, 1GB memory, 160 HDD, >10" screen size, ~$400. Looks like Best Buy have a lot in that spec under $400 online (not sure about in store).

What is your take?

BTW, just got a new toy for the biz, will post about it later...

Leo
Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
why a netbook in particular... esp. if you say for your business? curious why you don't want to just get a cheap laptop.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
For just $100 more you can something bigger, more powerful, and last equally as long with batteries.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
For laptops I recommend either ACER or ASUS.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Duh...

<-- in CES...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
Duh...

<-- in CES...
If you get time I am sure we would all love to see about 8GB worth of pictures =)
Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
For just $100 more you can something bigger, more powerful, and last equally as long with batteries.
QFT- also the screens on netbooks are so small that any program needing higher than 1024X600 graphics just won't be happy.

For your business you should get a grown-up laptop, if you want a netbook for a toy/extra portable/"extension of the office" type device, they are great for that, but I think you will quickly run into the inherent limitations trying to use a netbook as your main computer.

BTW, I have had an S10 for about 2 months now, so I do know a little of which I speak
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

Because I already have a pretty powerful desktop at home and a decent laptops as well. This is for something on the go and if I break it I won't cry over it.

Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
why a netbook in particular... esp. if you say for your business? curious why you don't want to just get a cheap laptop.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
So how do you like your S10?

Originally Posted by psoper
QFT- also the screens on netbooks are so small that any program needing higher than 1024X600 graphics just won't be happy.

For your business you should get a grown-up laptop, if you want a netbook for a toy/extra portable/"extension of the office" type device, they are great for that, but I think you will quickly run into the inherent limitations trying to use a netbook as your main computer.

BTW, I have had an S10 for about 2 months now, so I do know a little of which I speak
Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

btw, I got a new toy for the biz that requires a computer for data download, which is one of the reason I need a netbook for on the go...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM

newegg.com is your friend - lots of reviews from tech savvy people.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
I have a Acer Aspire One as my little travel laptop and it is fantastic. I use it for general web surfing and such while I am out and about and it is so small and light. It will be great to take with me on my travels out of the country as I do travel to places where weight limits and size play a key role. Leo if you want to check it out in person let me know, I will be around.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

Sweet! BTW, which other netbook did you consider before buying the Aspire One?

Leo

Originally Posted by JOEBOBBUCKET
I have a Acer Aspire One as my little travel laptop and it is fantastic. I use it for general web surfing and such while I am out and about and it is so small and light. It will be great to take with me on my travels out of the country as I do travel to places where weight limits and size play a key role. Leo if you want to check it out in person let me know, I will be around.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks! I'll poke around there and see what I can find...

Originally Posted by R-Dub
newegg.com is your friend - lots of reviews from tech savvy people.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor

So, any new netbook out? Should I wait or just get what's out there now? Thanks! And yes, PICS!!!!

Originally Posted by ldivinag
Duh...

<-- in CES...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
S10 + and -

I like that it is light weight and very portable, the built in wi-fi and stuff makes it very easy to deploy on the go, but you get that with any laptop these days.
The main advantage it has for me is for use in the car working on rally notes and stuff like that.

I don't like the tiny screen, that prevented me from loading the software that came with my camera, so instead I am using a much older camera software that crashes when you try to move files between thumb drives and silly stuff like that.
Not having a drive means needing an external DVD for loading programs and stuff like that, also makes you much more reliant on USB drives for moving stuff on and off of it.

Only 2 USB ports means you'll need to buy some USB hubs, because just a mouse (the teeny tiny touchpad is a joke) and a thumb drive will have you maxed out for peripherals otherwise.

All in all I really like it, but I am glad to have my old laptop and desktop machines when I need to do things the S10 just can't handle.

Quick Reply: Want a Netbooks, should I wait until after CES?