VALVE COVERS of DEATH!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Having worked in the auto industry - never buy a 3rd party warranty.
Yep figured that out quick right after I found out that they will only cover part of the cost, because they believe replacing a gasket should not cost more than $500. I also read horrible reviews about AUL extended warranty...... total FAIL on my end...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 2010 Forester
That's absolutely ridiculous! Valve covers are so easy! Come up this way and I'll do them for a bottle of Jameson. lol
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by CatchMyDrift
That's absolutely ridiculous! Valve covers are so easy! Come up this way and I'll do them for a bottle of Jameson. lol
Shoot that's a bargain... I'm on my way!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by CatchMyDrift
Serious? Wish I was closer and wasnt so busy at work.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 2010 Forester
Yea I can't believe they charge that much.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
To be fair to your warranty, $500 is more than fair for that job. Most places will do it for around $400.

-- Ed
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
If you haven't done them already, do the plugs at the same time since you will be working in those areas already.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
To be fair to your warranty, $500 is more than fair for that job. Most places will do it for around $400.

-- Ed
$400 is a great price to be quite honest. The Subaru stealership doesnt seem to think so, and also they told me it required some unnecessary labor. Dropping the car off to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle, today and hoping they will be able to perform the repairs. I hope I get my car back sometime today....I just got my shortshifter. Depressing...my forester is bleeding too and requires warranty work and is in need of body work since it was involved in a HIT n RUN in a parking lot. Now my newly acquired WRX is bleeding as well... Im going to start tying a rope around my neck since nothing seems to going my way....no cars to drive and my motorcycle is being rebuilt............ God hates me .
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by 04FXTURBO
So I call the dealership and they stated that my aftermarket warranty is garbage and they are unwilling to pay for the repairs in full. AUL is btw the worse aftermarket warranty u can purchase, and unfortunately when i bought my car, the dealership stated that the warranty is honored by any shops, including subaru dealership automechanics.....but they dont. FAIL on my end for not doing enough research.

I was wondering if anyone out here knows of a place or someone that can help me with my leaking valve covers. I just feel hesitant to bring it to a sloppy joe auto shop out here in the bay and end up bandaiding it, instead of fixing the issue. I live in South San Francisco, 5'5 with brown eyes, broke, and my car is bleeding profusely.

Btw, Carlsen Subaru quoted me $800 for a valve cover gasket replacement. Does that seem fair? or am I just another struggling broke loser?

I dont know how different the valve cover gaskets are on the FXT but Capitol Subaru quoted me $389 for the passenger side replacement, Santa Cruz quoted me $300. Read this thread:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...fy-lol-248124/

Cliff notes: My valve gasket cover broke, capitol refused to fix it, called Subaru of America and they said they would fix it, took it to Santa Cruz Subaru and they fixed it no questions asked and said "that is a manufacturer failure and none of your performance parts would of caused that (stage 3)" turns out they didnt even go through SoA to cover it they just fixed it.

GO TO SANTA CRUZ SUBARU! Speak to Will, he is a great guy and took care of me. Highly recommended and worth the drive out.

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
oh man I thought this was another "BrendanTheGreat" type of thread but its completely different. Hit up some of the local shops. Im sure LIC motorsports is probably the closes shop to you since its just a 30minute drive up north. Good luck with getting the repairs done. Also if you have the tools and time to do it yourself, Parts would probably cost you around 100-150 dollars and im sure there are plenty of how-to or DIY up on the forums or even on scoobymods.com
Originally Posted by TheFozz
Same here once I read the topic. Ditto the 30 minute drive North, Mr. Mike in Hayward, or even Garage 1 Mountain View, last I checked Aaron and Agnes were still building up their staffing there but they do good work. If they were to have to get you to drive to San Jose you'd be better off just going to Mike provided he's not back-logged.
Idk what a "brendanthegreat" type of thread has to do with anything. Bottom line i was wronged and got it taken care of.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I've dealt with a few aftermarket warranties and while they can be a bit of a PITA, we always ended up getting the work covered.

-- Ed
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat

GO TO SANTA CRUZ SUBARU! Speak to Will, he is a great guy and took care of me.
Will and SC Subaru are awesome! They are a rare dealer that is actually on the customers side. Also bought both my WRX and specB from them.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by SolSurferX
Will and SC Subaru are awesome! They are a rare dealer that is actually on the customers side. Also bought both my WRX and specB from them.
Agreed everyone at that dealership is fantastic, I will continue making the 50 mile drive to them and referring everyone to them!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
LIC, GST, Garage 1 - all reputable shops.

For a non-Subaru-specific shop that does work on all makes and models, I take my car to Renson Automotive in Campbell, CA. I know the owner, but that guy has never done me wrong. Bill, the owner, and Mark, the service writer, are both stand up, honest guys, and I've never felt like they've overcharged me for anything. Also, anything they've ever fixed has been truly fixed, without any other issues.

Renson Automotive

Renson Automotive - Campbell, CA
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
This. Argue with them to get them to pay for the whole repair, they will give in.

Customers at my shop with aftermarket warranties get covered for the most random and insignificant repairs, Im surprised yours wouldnt cover a leaking valve cover gasket.
a lot of shops dont like dealing with the aftermarket warranty, you have to jump through some hoops. If they are busy they wont bother.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by 04FXTURBO
Yep figured that out quick right after I found out that they will only cover part of the cost, because they believe replacing a gasket should not cost more than $500. I also read horrible reviews about AUL extended warranty...... total FAIL on my end...
meh, live and learn.

Quick Reply: VALVE COVERS of DEATH!!!!!!!!