VALVE COVERS of DEATH!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
VALVE COVERS of DEATH!!!!!!!!

So I call the dealership and they stated that my aftermarket warranty is garbage and they are unwilling to pay for the repairs in full. AUL is btw the worse aftermarket warranty u can purchase, and unfortunately when i bought my car, the dealership stated that the warranty is honored by any shops, including subaru dealership automechanics.....but they dont. FAIL on my end for not doing enough research.

I was wondering if anyone out here knows of a place or someone that can help me with my leaking valve covers. I just feel hesitant to bring it to a sloppy joe auto shop out here in the bay and end up bandaiding it, instead of fixing the issue. I live in South San Francisco, 5'5 with brown eyes, broke, and my car is bleeding profusely.

Btw, Carlsen Subaru quoted me $800 for a valve cover gasket replacement. Does that seem fair? or am I just another struggling broke loser?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Have you contacted our beloved local shops? Speed element? Eq tuning? Gst?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Check out Garage 1 Auto, they have a location in San Jose and Mountain View. May be kind of far for you though.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Is Auto Headquarter still running in Redwood City? I think I saw people post that Kevin was on vacation, does anyone know if he's back?

Also, $800 is WAY too much for valve cover gaskets. I just got mine done and it cost me about $400.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Did you call the warranty company?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Originally Posted by Lowend
Did you call the warranty company?
This. Argue with them to get them to pay for the whole repair, they will give in.

Customers at my shop with aftermarket warranties get covered for the most random and insignificant repairs, Im surprised yours wouldnt cover a leaking valve cover gasket.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
oh man I thought this was another "BrendanTheGreat" type of thread but its completely different. Hit up some of the local shops. Im sure LIC motorsports is probably the closes shop to you since its just a 30minute drive up north. Good luck with getting the repairs done. Also if you have the tools and time to do it yourself, Parts would probably cost you around 100-150 dollars and im sure there are plenty of how-to or DIY up on the forums or even on scoobymods.com
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
oh man I thought this was another...

Same here once I read the topic. Ditto the 30 minute drive North, Mr. Mike in Hayward, or even Garage 1 Mountain View, last I checked Aaron and Agnes were still building up their staffing there but they do good work. If they were to have to get you to drive to San Jose you'd be better off just going to Mike provided he's not back-logged.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
Pm going your way!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
oh man I thought this was another "BrendanTheGreat" type of thread but its completely different. Hit up some of the local shops. Im sure LIC motorsports is probably the closes shop to you since its just a 30minute drive up north. Good luck with getting the repairs done. Also if you have the tools and time to do it yourself, Parts would probably cost you around 100-150 dollars and im sure there are plenty of how-to or DIY up on the forums or even on scoobymods.com
no idea who brendan is but i got a pm from one of our members. thank u guys for the help. i truly appreciate it. the dealership i bought the car from will attempt to repair it for me, free of charge. if they r unsuccessful i will be contacting the wonderful person that pmed me. i would attempt to fix it myself but lack the room and tools to do it. i read in another forum that its prettt simple as long as u have the tools and u also dont have to drop the entire motor to access it. the dealership rep i spoke with said they had to drop the motor to access it but reading other DIYers, that doesnt seem to be the case. thank u guys.... i love this forum.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
AutoHQ in redwood city!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
Originally Posted by 04FXTURBO
no idea who brendan is but i got a pm from one of our members. thank u guys for the help. i truly appreciate it. the dealership i bought the car from will attempt to repair it for me, free of charge. if they r unsuccessful i will be contacting the wonderful person that pmed me. i would attempt to fix it myself but lack the room and tools to do it. i read in another forum that its prettt simple as long as u have the tools and u also dont have to drop the entire motor to access it. the dealership rep i spoke with said they had to drop the motor to access it but reading other DIYers, that doesnt seem to be the case. thank u guys.... i love this forum.
it is quite easy, i watched a couple guys do it on my car a week ago. if i really needed to do it myself i could probably attempt and do it correctly.it is like a handfull of bolts and you have to remove some other stuff
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
Check out my shop Static Nine Garage - Auto Repair right in your location

Last edited by MonsterGC; 02-28-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
I can take care of that for you at my shop. Definitely not gonna be $800. lol That's a little excessive. We're located in Mtn. View.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Having worked in the auto industry - never buy a 3rd party warranty.

Quick Reply: VALVE COVERS of DEATH!!!!!!!!