UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Car Info: .
Looks like Penn is still on a beach eating Poi.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Car Info: Nadda
BJ gave up, that looked like Edgar ate his spirit.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM

lol Penn looked unmotivated the second he stepped into the Octagon. Seemed as if he didn't care as they were announcing his name. Edgar dominated Penn in both standup and the ground, managing to take Penn down quite a few times, especially in the early rounds.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM

Penn should just retire lol
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Does bj not care anymore?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea, I say hang up the career, enjoy the rest of your life n' relax.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Penn should just retire lol
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM

he should retire, and if he still wants to be in the sport, he should just be a coach or something
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
He looked totally uninterested. Edgar is one of the weekest champs in any division in a while. I'm starting to wonder if some of these fights are fixed.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Car Info: N/A
I agree, what the hell was that. I'm glad I didn't pay for this fight and just downloaded instead. That was disappointing and BJ looked as bad as I have ever seen him. I guess it is up to Maynard now to get his shot.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
He looked totally uninterested. Edgar is one of the weekest champs in any division in a while. I'm starting to wonder if some of these fights are fixed.
I'm starting to think they are as well.

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn - probably fixed
Edgar is definitely the weakest champion i've seen in a long time. The guy sucks. Around 9 of his 13 fights are decision. Edgar has little ability to end a fight. That guy will never make a fan out of me if he cannot kick someone's ***. Edgar has already lost to Maynard before, and the way Edgar fights, it looks like every contender in that division would beat him. I know Florian would leg kick the **** out of him. BJ just didn't look like he was trying. Seemed like he let Edgar take him down. Really fishy imo.

Randy Couture vs. James Toney - guy getting his last paycheck
Went as expected. Toney has no clue about what to do. Looked like he has never even watched an MMA fight before.

Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard - boring
I've never seen Maynard fight and I really didn't care for him. He just danced around and waited for 1 take down a round. I defintely hate how lots of fighters are only worried about points now, this is turning in to boxing.

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda - boring
Same thing as the Florian/Maynard fight. Maia just looked to take him down and didn't even participate in the stand up. Boring fight.

Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger - 2 minutes of fun
Pwned! Total beat down for sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT Ltd.
Originally Posted by skeeler
I'm starting to think they are as well.

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn - probably fixed
Edgar is definitely the weakest champion i've seen in a long time. The guy sucks. Around 9 of his 13 fights are decision. Edgar has little ability to end a fight. That guy will never make a fan out of me if he cannot kick someone's ***. Edgar has already lost to Maynard before, and the way Edgar fights, it looks like every contender in that division would beat him. I know Florian would leg kick the **** out of him. BJ just didn't look like he was trying. Seemed like he let Edgar take him down. Really fishy imo.
I'd agree with you on this, if you were referring to Abu Dhabi, but this fight I think BJ Penn underestimated how strong Frankie Edgar is. When BJ was working from the bottom with rubber guard, and seemed like he was going to get a triangle, Frankie was picking him up off the floor. The opening of the fight BJ seemed intense and by midway through the 2nd round you could tell the intensity died when Frankie Edgar was imposing his will. After that it seemed like BJ completely wilted and lost interest in the fight. Really can you see BJ throwing a fight? I can't, but we've seen him uninterested and blase about fights on several occasions.

Edgar as a champion is a joke, he got the belt through shady means, and he's not going to retain it. Maynard is gonna destroy him.

Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard - boring
I've never seen Maynard fight and I really didn't care for him. He just danced around and waited for 1 take down a round. I defintely hate how lots of fighters are only worried about points now, this is turning in to boxing.
At least Maynard can finish via G/P, his name suits him, he bullied KenFlo around like he was a little kid on the playground. Regardless of who won this fight, with Edgar retaining the title the winner is going to be the new champion. Maynard's fight may have been boring, but what were you expecting from a wrestler fighting KenFlo? He had no choice but to takedown and mash, if he stood up and strictly exchanged he'd have gotten beaten down.

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda - boring
Same thing as the Florian/Maynard fight. Maia just looked to take him down and didn't even participate in the stand up. Boring fight.
It's Damian Maia, what did you expect? He's basically Nogueira's Middleweight counterpart, he's great from the bottom and has little skills while standing. He's always going to be looking to pull guard or takedown to go for submissions. Though Joe Rogan was spot on for pointing out his armbars were never going to land without controlling one of Miranda's legs. The last one where Miranda spun out was a good example.

Do you like anything but striking? BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, they're all going to end up on the floor, and it sounds like you don't like any of these aspects. If so, just skip all the pay per views that don't involve strikers.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
I love wrestling and BJJ. I don't like it when they are just sitting on the ground not advancing their position or doing any damage...

There are a few things I dislike with the scoring.
1 take down will get you the round over 5 take down defenses. imo, a take down is imposing your will, a take down defense is stopping someone else's game. they should negate eachother. also taking someone down and finishing a round on top without doing anything other than smothering will get you a round. The busier more active person should get the round, even if they are on bottom. Say you are on your back and you throw some elbows and the guy on top really doesnt land strikes or locks in a submission, you should get the round.

title fights going to decision is lame. stoppage or draw + rematch imo. I want the champion to be clearly better than the rest, not winning by points.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM

What is wrong with a fighter using his brains and winning - in any fashion possible. Decision, KO, TKO, KTFO it doesn't matter, a win is a win. If your game is ground and pound why the hell are you going to stand up with someone who's a better striker than you? Get his *** to the ground and enact your will upon him. I swear most UFC fans seem like WWF converts lol. You want them to pull out ladders and ****? I have no problem watching a fight that's played out like a chess match.

When 2 brawlers go at it, then there is a good chance someone is night night in the first round. A BJJ or wrestler vs another of similar technique is unlikely to end in a devastating KO, but more likely to go to ground and turn into a "who can out counter the other" when given equal skill.

When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.

Quick Reply: UFC Thread