i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   UFC Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/ufc-thread-219053/)

jawfxr 08-11-2010 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Choku Dori;2917056]You can say he's an up-and-comer.
His profile:
[url]http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rafael-dos-Anjos-11675[/url]

Just outta curiosity, are you a doctor or something?[/QUOTE]

Edited for HIPAA. I am a resident. He is a very nice guy, brought the team "Dos Anjos MMA" T-shirts. Guy is absolutely cut.

[ATTACH]131163[/ATTACH]

rau 08-13-2010 04:15 PM

Watched Sonnen vs Silva like 5 times again. Sonnen [B]did not tap![/B] he was reaching for Silva's leg....

gh0st shad0w 08-13-2010 04:59 PM

Looks like a tap to me:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gJhbN2C1bo[/url]

Choku Dori 08-13-2010 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=jawfxr;2917736]Edited for HIPAA. I am a resident. He is a very nice guy, brought the team "Dos Anjos MMA" T-shirts. Guy is absolutely cut.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/jimu88/DosAnjos.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

COOL! :thumb:

[QUOTE=rau;2919692]Watched Sonnen vs Silva like 5 times again. Sonnen [B]did not tap![/B] he was reaching for Silva's leg....[/QUOTE]

Walter, you n00b, haven't you ever heard of a "Brazilian tap"? :rolleyes: And you say you practice BJJ and watch MMA! :p

rau 08-14-2010 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;2920004]COOL! :thumb:

Walter, you n00b, haven't you ever heard of a "Brazilian tap"? :rolleyes: And you say you practice BJJ and watch MMA! :p[/QUOTE]

lol dont give me that crap Ry! regardless, he didnt argue it, even in the post fight

Choku Dori 08-14-2010 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=rau;2920026]lol dont give me that crap Ry! regardless, he didnt argue it, even in the post fight[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you don't believe me, do you believe the Gracies themselves?
At about 3:35 --
[youtube]swQyHqg3NDg[/youtube]

How long have you been rolling, Walt? Unless it's been a short time or with a bunch of n00bs, it's impossible not to have experienced someone Brazilian tapping even during practice. It's the "culture" of the sport, and it's spreading to outside of just jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:

rau 08-14-2010 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;2920209]

How long have you been rolling, Walt? Unless it's been a short time or with a bunch of n00bs, it's impossible not to have experienced someone Brazilian tapping even during practice. It's the "culture" of the sport, and it's spreading to outside of just jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I've been rolling since january. Every time I've tapped, it's a full-on " let me the **** go " tap, unless we are just doing drills, then we lightly tap. Unless that's what you mean

jawfxr 08-14-2010 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;2920004]COOL! :thumb:[/QUOTE]

His surgery went great and I think they're already back in Brazil. Poor guy loses a fight and gets stuck in a foreign country to have surgery but luckily, one of my juniors speaks fluent Portuguese so I think they were pretty stoked as their "translator" was pretty useless. That was definitely a fun experience for me.

Choku Dori 08-14-2010 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=rau;2920218]I've been rolling since january. Every time I've tapped, it's a full-on " let me the **** go " tap, unless we are just doing drills, then we lightly tap. Unless that's what you mean[/QUOTE]
I was right, you're still a rookie. Sure, we all have to start somewhere at some point, but to make a bold statement like "Sonnen didn't tap" is just silly.

Yes, a clear, unequivocal "triple tap" is the way it's supposed to be for the sake of safety and clarity in competition, but like any other sport, rule bending develops then worsens as the level of competition increases. It's almost like a corked bat in baseball or traveling 3-4 steps when taking a dunk or layup in basketball -- it's a no-no, but fools still do it a lot and get away with too sometimes. Hell, even n00bs are pulling that crap these days -- they limp wrist slap your leg and you let go, then they sidle up for a better position; you're like, "Hey, didn't you tap?" and they're all like, "No man, why would you think that?" :rolleyes: It's not even a competition, just practice! It's the gayest crap on the planet.

Ever wonder why guys like Royce Gracie and Ricardo Arona, among others, used to hold locks in until the ref had to literally pull him off? No? Maybe their fights were before you got into MMA. Well, at any rate, now you know. I'm no pro, but I read up and I hit the mats for education and experience so that I can understand what I'm seeing. You're very welcome for this little lesson regarding the "Brazilian Tap". ;)

[QUOTE=jawfxr;2920338]His surgery went great and I think they're already back in Brazil. Poor guy loses a fight and gets stuck in a foreign country to have surgery but luckily, one of my juniors speaks fluent Portuguese so I think they were pretty stoked as their "translator" was pretty useless. That was definitely a fun experience for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Dos Anjos first got his jaw busted by a punch then tapped out when his opponent tried to get a choke in but ended up cranking his jaw instead -- totally a bum deal. :o Pretty cool that one of your boys could communicate with Dos Anjos, I'm sure it put him a bit more at ease too. Is it OK for me to ask what the exact nature of his injury was? The more technical, the better please! :D But no worries, I understand if you can't due to patient confidentiality -- it's all good! :peace:

skeeler 08-16-2010 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=rau;2919692]Watched Sonnen vs Silva like 5 times again. Sonnen [B]did not tap![/B] he was reaching for Silva's leg....[/QUOTE]

Sonnen definitely "fake" tapped, or tapped but then thought he could get out of the submission and tried to pull out of the tap. Either way it doesn't matter if he did or didn't, he was going to eventually. No way Sonnen was going to get out or make it over two minutes with a triangle choke and an arm bar on him. You are missing the point.

I think Sonnen "fake" tapped as a way to get out. Realized he didn't want to be a cheater, and thats why he didnt contest the ref's call to end the fight.

Choku Dori 08-16-2010 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2921023]Sonnen definitely "fake" tapped, or tapped but then thought he could get out of the submission and tried to pull out of the tap. Either way it doesn't matter if he did or didn't, he was going to eventually. No way Sonnen was going to get out or make it over two minutes with a triangle choke and an arm bar on him. You are missing the point.

I think Sonnen "fake" tapped as a way to get out. Realized he didn't want to be a cheater, and thats why he didnt contest the ref's call to end the fight.[/QUOTE]

+1. Sonnen definitely pulled a "Brazilian Tap"! :sad:

skeeler 08-24-2010 10:13 AM

Card for this weekend. Plus my picks in blue, if no color, I dont care about that fight.

Frankie Edgar vs. [COLOR="blue"]B.J. Penn[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]Randy Couture[/COLOR] vs. James Toney
[COLOR="blue"]Kenny Florian [/COLOR]vs. Gray Maynard
[COLOR="blue"]Demian Maia[/COLOR] vs. Mario Miranda
[COLOR="blue"]Nate Diaz[/COLOR] vs. Marcus Davis
Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger
Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz
Dan Miller vs. John Salter
Nick Osipczak vs. Greg Soto
Mike Pierce vs. Amilcar Alves

I really don't care for Frankie Edgar. Around 75% of his fights go to decision. If I wanted to watch people score points i'd watch Mayweather box. I hope BJ really trained this time, he always comes back better than before. Really talented but also really lazy. I got my money on BJ again.

gh0st shad0w 08-24-2010 11:54 AM

Good picks, I have pretty much the same ones except I pick the Irish Hand Grenade winning against Nate. I hope BJ trained this time too I agree he does get too relaxed sometimes. But the guy has so much natural talent it is ridiculous.

skeeler 08-24-2010 12:26 PM

That Gray Maynard guy beat frankie edgar before. I've never seen him fight but florian is alright.

TurnWRX 08-24-2010 12:29 PM

I'ma go with Frankie. He'll win by decision :D

Choku Dori 08-24-2010 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gawd, I hope BJ comes in motivated and doesn't just try to pull one of these:

skeeler 08-24-2010 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2925379]I'ma go with Frankie. He'll win by decision :D[/QUOTE]

Eh, i'm not a fan of fighters who like to win off points. Frankie has won the majority of his fights by decision. I want to see some stoppage from him if im ever gonna be a fan.

OneManArmy 08-24-2010 01:55 PM

B.J. Penn
Randy Couture
Gray Maynard
Demian Maia
Nate Diaz
Joe Lauzon
Andre Winner
Dan Miller
Greg Soto
Amilcar Alvearly

BJ needs to realize he can't bank on judges and finish Edgar early.

Joe and Gabe could be fight of the night. Looking forward to Diaz again. I'd like to get this fight
Super solid card top to bottom.

skeeler 08-24-2010 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2925454]B.J. Penn
Randy Couture
Gray Maynard
Demian Maia
Nate Diaz
Joe Lauzon
Andre Winner
Dan Miller
Greg Soto
Amilcar Alvearly

BJ needs to realize he can't bank on judges and finish Edgar early.

Joe and Gabe could be fight of the night. Looking forward to Diaz again. I'd like to get this fight
Super solid card top to bottom.[/QUOTE]

BJ has never had good luck with decisions. He is looking for stoppage for sure.

TurnWRX 08-28-2010 08:58 PM

lol James Toney got owned. He didn't even throw one punch in the standup. He didn't even put up his hands. Got taken down and got arm triangle choked out lol

he just collecting a paycheck.

Spoolin415 08-28-2010 09:23 PM

Looks like Penn is still on a beach eating Poi. :ohwell:

iLoqin 08-28-2010 09:43 PM

BJ gave up, that looked like Edgar ate his spirit.

TurnWRX 08-28-2010 09:45 PM

lol Penn looked unmotivated the second he stepped into the Octagon. Seemed as if he didn't care as they were announcing his name. Edgar dominated Penn in both standup and the ground, managing to take Penn down quite a few times, especially in the early rounds.

TurnWRX 08-28-2010 09:46 PM

Penn should just retire lol

OneManArmy 08-28-2010 09:48 PM

Does bj not care anymore?

iLoqin 08-28-2010 09:53 PM

Yea, I say hang up the career, enjoy the rest of your life n' relax.

Lurk 08-28-2010 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2927986]Penn should just retire lol[/QUOTE]

:sad:

TurnWRX 08-28-2010 10:13 PM

he should retire, and if he still wants to be in the sport, he should just be a coach or something

OneManArmy 08-28-2010 10:27 PM

He looked totally uninterested. Edgar is one of the weekest champs in any division in a while. I'm starting to wonder if some of these fights are fixed.

gh0st shad0w 08-29-2010 09:42 PM

I agree, what the hell was that. I'm glad I didn't pay for this fight and just downloaded instead. That was disappointing and BJ looked as bad as I have ever seen him. I guess it is up to Maynard now to get his shot.

STiForFun 08-29-2010 10:23 PM

[img]http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mma_experts__23/ept_sports_mma_experts-201561375-1283050265.jpg?ymZ81rDDC4A7p8pV[/img]

skeeler 08-30-2010 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2928005]He looked totally uninterested. Edgar is one of the weekest champs in any division in a while. I'm starting to wonder if some of these fights are fixed.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think they are as well.

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn - probably fixed
Edgar is definitely the weakest champion i've seen in a long time. The guy sucks. Around 9 of his 13 fights are decision. Edgar has little ability to end a fight. That guy will never make a fan out of me if he cannot kick someone's ass. Edgar has already lost to Maynard before, and the way Edgar fights, it looks like every contender in that division would beat him. I know Florian would leg kick the **** out of him. BJ just didn't look like he was trying. Seemed like he let Edgar take him down. Really fishy imo.

Randy Couture vs. James Toney - guy getting his last paycheck
Went as expected. Toney has no clue about what to do. Looked like he has never even watched an MMA fight before.

Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard - boring
I've never seen Maynard fight and I really didn't care for him. He just danced around and waited for 1 take down a round. I defintely hate how lots of fighters are only worried about points now, this is turning in to boxing.

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda - boring
Same thing as the Florian/Maynard fight. Maia just looked to take him down and didn't even participate in the stand up. Boring fight.

Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger - 2 minutes of fun
Pwned! Total beat down for sure.

failure 08-30-2010 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2928508]I'm starting to think they are as well.

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn - probably fixed
Edgar is definitely the weakest champion i've seen in a long time. The guy sucks. Around 9 of his 13 fights are decision. Edgar has little ability to end a fight. That guy will never make a fan out of me if he cannot kick someone's ass. Edgar has already lost to Maynard before, and the way Edgar fights, it looks like every contender in that division would beat him. I know Florian would leg kick the **** out of him. BJ just didn't look like he was trying. Seemed like he let Edgar take him down. Really fishy imo.
[/quote]
I'd agree with you on this, if you were referring to Abu Dhabi, but this fight I think BJ Penn underestimated how strong Frankie Edgar is. When BJ was working from the bottom with rubber guard, and seemed like he was going to get a triangle, Frankie was picking him up off the floor. The opening of the fight BJ seemed intense and by midway through the 2nd round you could tell the intensity died when Frankie Edgar was imposing his will. After that it seemed like BJ completely wilted and lost interest in the fight. Really can you see BJ throwing a fight? I can't, but we've seen him uninterested and blase about fights on several occasions.

Edgar as a champion is a joke, he got the belt through shady means, and he's not going to retain it. Maynard is gonna destroy him.

[quote]
Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard - boring
I've never seen Maynard fight and I really didn't care for him. He just danced around and waited for 1 take down a round. I defintely hate how lots of fighters are only worried about points now, this is turning in to boxing.
[/quote]
At least Maynard can finish via G/P, his name suits him, he bullied KenFlo around like he was a little kid on the playground. Regardless of who won this fight, with Edgar retaining the title the winner is going to be the new champion. Maynard's fight may have been boring, but what were you expecting from a wrestler fighting KenFlo? He had no choice but to takedown and mash, if he stood up and strictly exchanged he'd have gotten beaten down.

[quote]
Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda - boring
Same thing as the Florian/Maynard fight. Maia just looked to take him down and didn't even participate in the stand up. Boring fight.
[/quote]
It's Damian Maia, what did you expect? He's basically Nogueira's Middleweight counterpart, he's great from the bottom and has little skills while standing. He's always going to be looking to pull guard or takedown to go for submissions. Though Joe Rogan was spot on for pointing out his armbars were never going to land without controlling one of Miranda's legs. The last one where Miranda spun out was a good example.

Do you like anything but striking? BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, they're all going to end up on the floor, and it sounds like you don't like any of these aspects. If so, just skip all the pay per views that don't involve strikers.

skeeler 08-30-2010 04:00 PM

I love wrestling and BJJ. I don't like it when they are just sitting on the ground not advancing their position or doing any damage...

There are a few things I dislike with the scoring.
1 take down will get you the round over 5 take down defenses. imo, a take down is imposing your will, a take down defense is stopping someone else's game. they should negate eachother. also taking someone down and finishing a round on top without doing anything other than smothering will get you a round. The busier more active person should get the round, even if they are on bottom. Say you are on your back and you throw some elbows and the guy on top really doesnt land strikes or locks in a submission, you should get the round.

title fights going to decision is lame. stoppage or draw + rematch imo. I want the champion to be clearly better than the rest, not winning by points.

nokio 08-30-2010 04:49 PM

What is wrong with a fighter using his brains and winning - in any fashion possible. Decision, KO, TKO, KTFO it doesn't matter, a win is a win. If your game is ground and pound why the hell are you going to stand up with someone who's a better striker than you? Get his ass to the ground and enact your will upon him. I swear most UFC fans seem like WWF converts lol. You want them to pull out ladders and ****? I have no problem watching a fight that's played out like a chess match.

When 2 brawlers go at it, then there is a good chance someone is night night in the first round. A BJJ or wrestler vs another of similar technique is unlikely to end in a devastating KO, but more likely to go to ground and turn into a "who can out counter the other" when given equal skill.

When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.

OneManArmy 08-30-2010 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=nokio;2928733]
When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.[/QUOTE]

It's not even that... you really just have to stay busy. You can literally slap the guy and they won't stand you back up.

I personally like the work to finish policy or at least advance your position. I hate when people just lay on the other guy.

I have no problems with people using their skills to win a fight. But I don't think that was directed at anything I said anyways.

I personally love the fact that if you are tough minded and have a solid BJJ game you can win a fight at any time. Be getting SMASHED and still win. Alla Mir/Lesner and Silva/Sonnen.

skeeler 08-30-2010 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=nokio;2928733]What is wrong with a fighter using his brains and winning - in any fashion possible. Decision, KO, TKO, KTFO it doesn't matter, a win is a win. If your game is ground and pound why the hell are you going to stand up with someone who's a better striker than you? Get his ass to the ground and enact your will upon him. I swear most UFC fans seem like WWF converts lol. You want them to pull out ladders and ****? I have no problem watching a fight that's played out like a chess match.

When 2 brawlers go at it, then there is a good chance someone is night night in the first round. A BJJ or wrestler vs another of similar technique is unlikely to end in a devastating KO, but more likely to go to ground and turn into a "who can out counter the other" when given equal skill.

When on the ground are the UFC rules, that the fighter must advance his position? Or is it try to finish? Pretty sure K1 and Dream over in Japan is work to finish.[/QUOTE]

Is this a response to my post?

I never said anything about someone fighting smart, my point is that in a title fight, I want a definitive winner. Edgar is good at scoring points, but he never really kicks anyones ass or submits. check out his record. He is like mayweather, score points with speed and then take no risks and not worrying about finishing.

UFC rules aren't like japanese mma rules. You can be on the ground and just smother someone without a ref standing them up. You can totally wear down a clock. UFC is just that you have to stay busy. You can do little 3 inch rib shots or punch someone in his arm and not get stood up.

bjtwrx06 08-30-2010 07:19 PM

I was a fan of BJ Penn but after Saturdays performance he went from being one of the Top lightweights to just another Average fighter. He's lost his fire. He's either hit or miss. And the last two fights he's missed.Which is weird cause he murdered Stevenson, then Kenny Florian, and then Diego Sanchez. Don't remember if its in that exact order but you get the idea. I think he needs a psychiatrists or something to make him mentally strong cause he always breaks down when somebody begins to pick him apart. Oh well. Just my 2 cents.

OneManArmy 08-30-2010 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=bjtwrx06;2928832]I was a fan of BJ Penn but after Saturdays performance he went from being one of the Top lightweights to just another Average fighter. He's lost his fire. He's either hit or miss. And the last two fights he's missed.Which is weird cause he murdered Stevenson, then Kenny Florian, and then Diego Sanchez. Don't remember if its in that exact order but you get the idea. I think he needs a psychiatrists or something to make him mentally strong cause he always breaks down when somebody begins to pick him apart. Oh well. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

The deal with BJ is that he doesn't HAVE to fight. He does this for fun. So when he's in to it he's unstoppable. His talent is as high as it gets and his skill is up there with everyone in the weight class. But he just isn't always in to it.

He's looked totally uninterested in probably 4 of the last 7 fights. He didn't even look that in to his GSP fights. But he's also tough to read because he's so damn calm all the time. Which is a good thing I guess.

I still love BJ and I look forward to seeing him fight again. It's just too bad he's gonna have to go through another 3 fighters to get back to a title fight.

bjtwrx06 08-30-2010 07:50 PM

True. But why? He get's you hyped up or at least he gets me hyped up before he fights but then he comes out and does nothing. I agree with you that he usually comes in very calm into a fight but he usually has this fire in his eye's that he hasn't showed in the past 2 fights. I would've thought that he wanted that belt back. On another note though they should bring some of the guy's from the WEC to fight at lightweight like Ben Henderson. I think they could really compete with the LHW division.

OneManArmy 08-30-2010 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=bjtwrx06;2928850]True. But why? He get's you hyped up or at least he gets me hyped up before he fights but then he comes out and does nothing. I agree with you that he usually comes in very calm into a fight but he usually has this fire in his eye's that he hasn't showed in the past 2 fights. I would've thought that he wanted that belt back. On another note though they should bring some of the guy's from the WEC to fight at lightweight like Ben Henderson. I think they could really compete with the LHW division.[/QUOTE]

So far most of the WEC guys have gotten worked. But I would love to see some of those 145 guys step up and take a shot.

Mike Brown
Urijah Faber
Hendersen
even varner and jensen.

Just some new blood.

It's a good division already though. This fight is gonna drop BJ to that 4-8 range.

Danzig, Diaz, Griffin, Guillard, Lauzon, Ludwig, Maynard, Neer, Pearson, Stevenson and even Wiman. And of course the long haired fruit cake Guida. Or even Fisher, Stout, Dos Anjos, and Cole Miller has looked pretty damned good.

All of those guys are solid as ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if BJ's next fight is Pearson. That dude is looking sick. He's going to fly up the ranks. There are a lot of solid fights in there to see who the next couple guys to get a shot are. But more than likely it'll be someone like Diaz or something like that.

It's a great weight class already.

I think you bring over the top 3/4 WEC guys in the 145-155 range and they're gonna be fighting somewhere around the 15th ranked fighters on that list. Guys in that Neer range... and they'd probably loose.

Might as well stay over there. UFC owns both so it's too big a risk to pull all the stars from the WEC unless they shut it down and combine.

03'EyeBug 08-30-2010 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2928863]So far most of the WEC guys have gotten worked. But I would love to see some of those 145 guys step up and take a shot.

Mike Brown
Urijah Faber
Hendersen
even varner and jensen.

Just some new blood.

It's a good division already though. This fight is gonna drop BJ to that 4-8 range.

Danzig, Diaz, Griffin, Guillard, Lauzon, Ludwig, Maynard, Neer, Pearson, Stevenson and even Wiman. And of course the long haired fruit cake Guida. Or even Fisher, Stout, Dos Anjos, and Cole Miller has looked pretty damned good.

All of those guys are solid as ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if BJ's next fight is Pearson. That dude is looking sick. He's going to fly up the ranks. There are a lot of solid fights in there to see who the next couple guys to get a shot are. But more than likely it'll be someone like Diaz or something like that.

It's a great weight class already.

I think you bring over the top 3/4 WEC guys in the 145-155 range and they're gonna be fighting somewhere around the 15th ranked fighters on that list. Guys in that Neer range... and they'd probably loose.

Might as well stay over there. UFC owns both so it's too big a risk to pull all the stars from the WEC unless they shut it down and combine.[/QUOTE]

What about Jose Aldo? He's pretty fun to watch :)

OneManArmy 08-30-2010 08:20 PM

I'm sure I missed more than 1.

I was trying to think of my personal top 15 or so.

03'EyeBug 08-30-2010 08:22 PM

Ah. Have you seen Jose Aldo fight? I watched a lot of his rise through the WEC. He straight embarrassed some really good fighters, and he almost always delivers with good kicks and combos. Check him out if you haven't already(I'm sure you've seen him once or twice though.)

failure 08-30-2010 09:40 PM

The beating Aldo put on Faber was embarrassing.

As for fighters being boring on top, well the truly boring ones never advance.

Look at Machida, Dana White had ZERO interest in him, despite his undefeated record, until he started finishing people off. John Fitch is getting passed over for a title shot because of the fan outcry regarding how all he does is lay and pray. Maynard isn't the most exciting but at least he's trying compared to some of the other wrestlers.

BJ not being champion does have 1 HUGE upside, the lightweight division is now wide open. Especially since it won't be KenFlo going for the title. Maynard will beat down Edgar, and then there's a whole slew of other contenders that can beat Maynard.

Now all we need is someone who can actually beat GSP and welter will get interesting XD

OneManArmy 08-30-2010 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=failure;2928932]The beating Aldo put on Faber was embarrassing.

BJ not being champion does have 1 HUGE upside, the lightweight division is now wide open. Especially since it won't be KenFlo going for the title. Maynard will beat down Edgar, and then there's a whole slew of other contenders that can beat Maynard.

Now all we need is someone who can actually beat GSP and welter will get interesting XD[/QUOTE]

Word and word!

Faber seems to be taking it hard. Sometimes once you lose your brain figures out you aren't unbeatable and you get weak and never return to that dominant fighter.

The lightweight division is going to be awesome the next 3/4 years for sure. Probably the best division.

Once GSP and Silva get beat the 170 and 185 is wide open as well.

Heavy weight is still kind of week but it always will be... but on the flip... it's heavy weight. Always entertaining.

gh0st shad0w 08-31-2010 01:06 AM

Not that I am a fan of Josh Koscheck but him vs GSP is a fight I have been wanting to watch. It'll be an interesting season for Ultimate Fighter.

TurnWRX 08-31-2010 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=gh0st shad0w;2929062]Not that I am a fan of Josh Koscheck but him vs GSP is a fight I have been wanting to watch. It'll be an interesting season for Ultimate Fighter.[/QUOTE]

I can already imagine it now. Koscheck's going to talk isht to him the whole time, while GSP remains mellow throughout the show. Then when the fight happens, GSP's going to own him like he did their previous fight. You can't forget that Koscheck will be a weasel and pretend he got hit in the balls or pretend that he got knee'd in the face while he was down.

failure 08-31-2010 10:16 AM

Meh, I don't think it'll be interesting at all.. just more of the same GSP takedown after takedown. Unless you can find someone who can stuff GSP, he's never losing that belt, especially with Greg Jackson whispering "just play it safe" in his ear. Now if he were willing to actually willing to submit someone, he could would be more exciting, but he's too nice of a guy.

Silva's not going to lose anytime soon, but if he wants to stay busy and such he's going to have to move up weight soon.

Light heavy is up in the air as Rua's knee is never going to be healthy, so he'll lose eventually, if not immediately to Rashad. Which just opens things back up for Machida, who could potentially hold the belt for a while, since Rua's the only one who gives him any trouble really.

Heavy, I think is locked up. I don't see Cain being able to do much against Lesnar, and I don't think anyone gives Lesnar enough credit for his strength, agility, speed, and (believe it or not) smarts. His game plans in the 2nd Mir fight and the Carwin fight were perfect, but everyone just writes him off as "that heel from WWE".

failure 08-31-2010 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2929175]I can already imagine it now. Koscheck's going to talk isht to him the whole time, while GSP remains mellow throughout the show. Then when the fight happens, GSP's going to own him like he did their previous fight. You can't forget that Koscheck will be a weasel and pretend he got hit in the balls or pretend that he got knee'd in the face while he was down.[/QUOTE]

I was actually expecting some sort of repercussions from Koscheck's faking the downed knee to face... was kind of pissed nothing came of it.

TurnWRX 08-31-2010 11:36 AM

I want to see Jon Jones take on some real competition. His potential is amazing.

gh0st shad0w 08-31-2010 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2929261]I want to see Jon Jones take on some real competition. His potential is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I agree he has been looking great so far.

failure 08-31-2010 05:36 PM

We won't be seeing him fight for a while, Dana White has said he won't give him his next fight "until the dust settles in Light Heavy". AKA he has to wait for Rashad, Bader, and a cast of other fighters fights to be sorted out. Too bad Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin aren't available, they're the next logical stepping stones for Jon Jones to breeze through. I still wish his nickname was "The Manhunter" XD

skeeler 09-01-2010 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=failure;2929202]Meh, I don't think it'll be interesting at all.. just more of the same GSP takedown after takedown. Unless you can find someone who can stuff GSP, he's never losing that belt, especially with Greg Jackson whispering "just play it safe" in his ear. Now if he were willing to actually willing to submit someone, he could would be more exciting, but he's too nice of a guy.

Silva's not going to lose anytime soon, but if he wants to stay busy and such he's going to have to move up weight soon.

Heavy, I think is locked up. I don't see Cain being able to do much against Lesnar, and I don't think anyone gives Lesnar enough credit for his strength, agility, speed, and (believe it or not) smarts. His game plans in the 2nd Mir fight and the Carwin fight were perfect, but everyone just writes him off as "that heel from WWE".[/QUOTE]

GSP dominates, last person to win a round against him was koscheck. I remember reading somewhere GSP doesn't plan to go up either.

Silva is out for over a year from his rib injury.

IDK about Lesnar's plan being getting rocked for an entire round and the taking him down in the second was a great game plan. It was obvious he was going to take him to the ground, I don't think Lesnar planned on Carwins stand up being that much better.

skeeler 09-01-2010 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=03'EyeBug;2928871]Ah. Have you seen Jose Aldo fight? I watched a lot of his rise through the WEC. He straight embarrassed some really good fighters, and he almost always delivers with good kicks and combos. Check him out if you haven't already(I'm sure you've seen him once or twice though.)[/QUOTE]

Aldo isn't gonna leave wec or weight classes any time soon. He has an Anderson Silva thing going on there. All fighters are too afraid to do what they plan to do against him and they all get beat before the even step in with him. I hope gamburyan beats him though.

As for Faber, I think he is looking to go up in weight. Not much left for him where he is at. Everyone kind of owns him in that class now.

03'EyeBug 09-01-2010 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2929891]Aldo isn't gonna leave wec or weight classes any time soon. He has an Anderson Silva thing going on there. All fighters are too afraid to do what they plan to do against him and they all get beat before the even step in with him. I hope gamburyan beats him though.

As for Faber, I think he is looking to go up in weight. Not much left for him where he is at. Everyone kind of owns him in that class now.[/QUOTE]

I never said he was going to haha, I just said I like his style.

verc 09-01-2010 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2929888]
IDK about Lesnar's plan being getting rocked for an entire round and the taking him down in the second was a great game plan. It was obvious he was going to take him to the ground, I don't think Lesnar planned on Carwins stand up being that much better.[/QUOTE]

Remember Lesnar was out for a whole year while HE FREAKING ALMOST DIED AND LOST 40 LBS OF MUSCLE while Carwin in the meantime steamrolled like 3 people

It's called ring rust and plus the fact that fighters always look a bit 'not all there' coming off injuries. That's why I'm worried for Shogun on his title defense. I don't want Rashad to beat him cause his knee is jacked up.

verc 09-01-2010 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2929891]Aldo isn't gonna leave wec or weight classes any time soon. He has an Anderson Silva thing going on there. All fighters are too afraid to do what they plan to do against him and they all get beat before the even step in with him. I hope gamburyan beats him though.

As for Faber, I think he is looking to go up in weight. Not much left for him where he is at. Everyone kind of owns him in that class now.[/QUOTE]

Faber moved down to bantamweight.

Not sure who he'll fight first since he's already fought Curran and Cruz, teammates with benevidez.

Prolly his first fight will be mizugaki or Wineland since he's was a champ before Torres.

Faber's first fight at 135 won't be Torres b/c Torres just lost 2 in a row. Faber doesn't gain anything from fighting him

failure 09-01-2010 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2929888]GSP dominates, last person to win a round against him was koscheck. I remember reading somewhere GSP doesn't plan to go up either.
[/quote]
He said he may, though doubtful, Greg Jackson will try and keep him where he's making the moneys. GSP will continue to dominate as long as he subscribes to the Greg Jackson Lay and get Paid style of fighting. GSP is the man, but it's only a matter of time before people realize, there isn't much of a difference between him and John Fitch (stylistically).

[quote]
Silva is out for over a year from his rib injury.
[/quote]
I hadn't heard this, but that's probably a good thing. Silva can watch the Middleweights sort themselves out, nobody in that weight division is gonna be able to fight him any ways.

[quote]
IDK about Lesnar's plan being getting rocked for an entire round and the taking him down in the second was a great game plan. It was obvious he was going to take him to the ground, I don't think Lesnar planned on Carwins stand up being that much better.[/QUOTE]
He turtled the first round completely after the first barrage, he didn't bother trying for anything, and found out that in round 2 Carwin's cardio wasn't what he made it out to be. Probably not the best example of game plans, since nobody would want to give him that kind of credit.

Better Example:
Frank Mir #2
Takes the fight to the ground and stays chest to chest with legs as far away as possible. Making it impossible for Frank Mir to work any real jiujitsu, Turns Mir's face into hamburger, as intended.

It doesn't matter, nobody will give him any credit unless he ends up with like a 20 fight streak of defenses. Hell, only Dana White is giving him credit for being a fighting champion. He could have taken off 9-10 months before fighting Cain Velasquez. Instead? We get to see it in what November? That's mostly about being paid probably, but hey we benefit from it. Better than all the other champs -.-

verc 09-01-2010 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=failure;2930075]
It doesn't matter, nobody will give him any credit unless he ends up with like a 20 fight streak of defenses. Hell, only Dana White is giving him credit for being a fighting champion. He could have taken off 9-10 months before fighting Cain Velasquez. Instead? We get to see it in what November? That's mostly about being paid probably, but hey we benefit from it. Better than all the other champs -.-[/QUOTE]

yeah brock won't get credit for Cain either. Haters will say "O he just beat a small guy"

I think the only way he'll ever get credit is if he win a standup war with a noted striker without using his wrestling. Like knocking out Pat Barry with a high kick or something

TurnWRX 09-01-2010 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=verc;2929960]Remember Lesnar was out for a whole year while HE FREAKING ALMOST DIED AND LOST 40 LBS OF MUSCLE [/QUOTE]

what happened? How did he almost die?

OneManArmy 09-01-2010 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2930139]what happened? How did he almost die?[/QUOTE]

He got a gnarly intestinal parasite or some ****. Google it man. It was a big deal. That's why the title was in limbo for a while.

skeeler 09-01-2010 03:28 PM

Lesnar got really sick, he had holes in his intestines.

failure 09-01-2010 05:57 PM

He got mono, collapsed in Canada, found out he also had a serious bacterial infection in his intestines. Then had to go to Mayo Clinic to get operated on for that. At his request there was no full disclosure, only Dana White saying it could be a career ender, since he had let it go on for so long.

That's why there was in interim belt-holder (Carwin), they weren't sure Brock would be back. It's also why Rua isn't going to have an interim belt-holder, as they know when he'll be back (April-June '11 timeframe).

iLoqin 09-02-2010 11:28 AM

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek090210[/url]

Seriously is that all they make? I coulda sworn they made a whole lot more in this industry, especially the UFC... hmmm

verc 09-02-2010 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2930775][url]http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek090210[/url]

Seriously is that all they make? I coulda sworn they made a whole lot more in this industry, especially the UFC... hmmm[/QUOTE]

They get good sponsership though. For televised fights, one small patch on the pant leg costs a sponser $2-10k depending on the event and fighter.

I know for the CBS fights (Strikeforce) Jake Shields got $20k for the logo on his buttcheeks. Additional sponsership income on the banner, post-fight hat, post-fight drink, etc.

verc 09-02-2010 12:27 PM

BUt yeah on the subject of crappy fighter pay (also no health insurance) one of my best friends is making a documentary on this: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/fightlifemovie[/url]

If you're really an MMA fan you owe it to yourself to watch it when it comes out later this year (in post production right now). [B]On one hand you feel compassion for how crappy it is to be a fighter, but on the other hand you gain respect for people (fighters are like musicians and artists) who follow their passions in life no matter what, instead of doing what most people do which is go to college and then get a ****ty job they hate that only makes $50k anyways[/B]

gh0st shad0w 09-02-2010 01:15 PM

I wonder how much money is actually made at a UFC event and how much Dana makes.

failure 09-02-2010 03:23 PM

You go to UFC to make your name, and sponsorship/merchandising makes you money.

You go to Strikeforce to get paid if you have a name and you're washed up. Feydor gets ridiculous amounts of money from Strikeforce, that's why m1 doesn't want him to go to UFC. Dana White won't give him the money he's getting from SF.

I forget who it was but a few months back, one of the fighters that won was literally fighting for his place to live. His win enabled him to pay his backed up mortgage payments, so he wouldn't be homeless, he was to be evicted shortly thereafter if he had lost.

As for how much Dana and Joe make per PPV? Obscene amounts of money, figure the cheap tickets are like $120, and expensive ones are $500+, and the venues aren't tiny. Add in the sponsorship dollars from big names like Coors Light, etc.

I can't wait for MMA to finally win it's legitimacy, so the fighters can start getting a better deal. Though hopefully it never inflates to boxing figures.

iLoqin 09-02-2010 07:55 PM

Feydor is washed up? That's interesting.

Choku Dori 09-02-2010 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2931082]Feydor is washed up? That's interesting.[/QUOTE]

failure hangs out on Sherdog too often. ;)
Wait, that made much more sense than I intended. :D

failure 09-03-2010 12:03 AM

Feydor isn't washed up, M1's just milking him for cash. Feydor is prolly rusty as hell against any decent competition though, hence his stupid loss to Verdum.

Or are you guys going to try and say Strikeforce's heavyweight division is the upper echelon of MMA? :rolleyes: UFC's last attempt to get him was more than Dana White said he'd ever give a fighter, and M1 still pushed for more. I want to see Feydor compete in UFC, as it'd put to rest the whole debate. I honestly think he'd be just as amazing as he was in Pride, but it looks like he's going to squander the rest of his career beating on tin cans. Unless he takes control of his career and tells his management where to go, everyone will be wondering how good he really was.

And what's Sherdog?

verc 09-03-2010 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=failure;2931241]Feydor isn't washed up, M1's just milking him for cash. Feydor is prolly rusty as hell against any decent competition though, hence his stupid loss to Verdum.

And what's Sherdog?[/QUOTE]

It's a popular news site and forum for MMA related discussion, having been around since long before the MMA became known to the mainstream public.

verc 09-03-2010 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=failure;2931241]Or are you guys going to try and say Strikeforce's heavyweight division is the upper echelon of MMA? :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

You're going to have a hard time arguing that Werdum, Overeem, and Silva wouldn't at least be contenders in the UFC, which up until recently (the last year basically.... maaaaaybe you could argue the last two years) had a MORE crappy heavyweight division than Strikeforce has right now.

TurnWRX 10-23-2010 09:27 PM

Brock Lesnar got owned!!

Cain baby! San Jose represent!!: banana :

ruehl 10-23-2010 09:31 PM

that knee killed lesnar but we will probably see a rematch in 18 months or so if they both continue to win. Lesnar however needs to get better stand up since he is so far behind in the division in that area.

03_Impreza_Al 10-23-2010 09:33 PM

Brown Pride.

subbiedood 10-23-2010 09:36 PM

Aztec>Viking

TurnWRX 10-23-2010 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=subbiedood;2960506]Aztec>Viking[/QUOTE]

what is this, Deadliest Warrior? lol

ruehl 10-23-2010 09:38 PM

hopefully dos Santos v Cain next

subbiedood 10-23-2010 09:40 PM

:rofl::rofl:[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2960509]what is this, Deadliest Warrior? lol[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

d-ta 11-20-2010 01:49 PM

anyone heading out to catch UFC 123 tonight?

the fight card
* Light Heavyweight bout: United States Quinton Jackson vs. Brazil Lyoto Machida[1]
* Welterweight bout: United States Matt Hughes vs. United States B.J. Penn[1]
* Lightweight bout: United States Tyson Griffin vs. United States Nik Lentz[1]
* Middleweight bout: United States Gerald Harris vs. Brazil Maiquel Falcão[1]
* Middleweight bout: England Aaron Simpson vs. Japan Mark Muņoz[1]
* Welterweight bout: Armenia Karo Parisyan vs. Germany Dennis Hallman[1]

* Matt Brown vs. Rory MacDonald[3]
* Tim Boetsch vs. Phil Davis[4]
* TJ O'Brien vs. Paul Kelly[5]
* Joe Lauzon vs. George Sotiropoulos[6]
* Mike Lullo vs. Edson Barboza[7]

TurnWRX 11-20-2010 04:17 PM

my guesses for the 2 main fights:

Machida over Jackson
Hughes over Penn

STiForFun 11-20-2010 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2976123]my guesses for the 2 main fights:

Machida over Jackson
Hughes over Penn[/QUOTE]

syyyyyyyyyyyyyke

TurnWRX 11-20-2010 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=STiForFun;2976250]syyyyyyyyyyyyyke[/QUOTE]

bleh Hughes just wanted a quick paycheck and Machida should've won that decision. He won rounds 1 and 3. Jackson didn't do anything to Machida in round 1

boardoholic 11-21-2010 03:22 PM

Yay for Vallejo's own Mark Munoz!

TurnWRX 12-11-2010 09:36 PM

GSP baby!!! Wooooo!!

OneManArmy 12-12-2010 02:45 PM

Catch weight fight with the spider?

gh0st shad0w 12-12-2010 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2988851]Catch weight fight with the spider?[/QUOTE]

Now you're talking! But I don't think GSP would step up in weight to fight Silva. That was a great fight he put on. Very technical and sticking with the jab paid off big time.

OneManArmy 12-12-2010 04:50 PM

He said in an interview that he had big plans... no big plans at 170 right now.

STiForFun 12-12-2010 05:08 PM

"I fought GSP and all I got was this lousy broken orbital socket..."

[img]http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mma_experts__26/ept_sports_mma_experts-831551484-1292135044.jpg?ymE6fOEDXO2J6Fuq[/img]

boardoholic 12-12-2010 05:17 PM

Since we've got evidence of GSP's handiwork of turning Kos into a Cyclops, here's a a rare shot of Josh landing on George...
[IMG]http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-12/58228492.jpg[/IMG]

But here's my fave of the nite...
[IMG]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f7/fullj.e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32/e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32-getty-box-canada-ufc-st-pierre-koscheck.jpg[/IMG]

gh0st shad0w 12-12-2010 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=boardoholic;2988893]Since we've got evidence of GSP's handiwork of turning Kos into a Cyclops, here's a a rare shot of Josh landing on George...
[IMG]http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-12/58228492.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f7/fullj.e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32/e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32-getty-box-canada-ufc-st-pierre-koscheck.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I remember that punch they even showed it in slow motion as Josh caught him flush in the face. His ears wiggled back and forth.

TurnWRX 12-12-2010 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=boardoholic;2988893]
[IMG]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f7/fullj.e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32/e7562e2d27e4eaa05e3d2e3ef22ada32-getty-box-canada-ufc-st-pierre-koscheck.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

hahahaha he looks like one of the Nogueira brothers now!

boardoholic 02-03-2011 04:22 PM

UFC 126... Holy smokes this is a stacked card!!! At yesterday's press conference, lots of palpable tension. The boys look hungry! : banana :

My picks so far...
[B]Silva[/B] vs Belfort (rooting for Vitor, but The Spider gets the edge b/c I'm concerned w/ Vitor's extended lay-off)
[B]Jones[/B] vs Bader (Bones is more dynamic & Greg Jackson has been putting together some serious game plans lately)
Griffin vs [B]Franklin[/B] (I had to decide this one by coin flip; too close for me to call & this should be a great fight w/ 2 really likeable guys)
[B]Ellenberger[/B] vs Rocha (as long as he keeps it standing; doubt if he balloons another eye like he did to Howard in his last one though)
[B]Torres[/B] vs Banuelos
[B]Cerrone[/B] vs Kelly
Mendes vs [B]Omigawa[/B] (pulling for Omigawa, too... but Chad's had some really strong showings as of late himself)
[B]Taylor[/B] vs Ruediger (I need Paul to win this so we can finally say "Adios, amigo!" to Gabe... I just can't get over his stint on TUF)
[B]Yamamoto[/B] vs Johnson (too bad I don't facebook b/c I heard this is being streamed on there)
Kingsbury vs [B]Romero[/B]
Pierce vs [B]Robertson[/B]

I'll update these later as I've got to head out now.

Choku Dori 02-03-2011 04:33 PM

Rooting for Omigawa all the way!!! Kid Yamamoto, I couldn't care less about -- he needs another slice or 7 of humble pie. :cool:

verc 02-03-2011 04:41 PM

Omigawa for sure dude. This mofo better win, cause he and Hatsu Hioki are pretty much the truth in Japanese MMA right now, and Omigawa losing would be a decisive fail.

boardoholic 02-03-2011 11:01 PM

Updated the rest of my picks a while ago.

- - - - - -

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;3018998]Rooting for Omigawa all the way!!! Kid Yamamoto, I couldn't care less about -- he needs another slice or 7 of humble pie. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yup, Yamamoto's "personality" leaves much to be desired, eh? I wouldn't mind one bit if Johnson puts together several quick combos like in his past WEC bouts.:thumb:

Choku Dori 02-03-2011 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=verc;3019003]Omigawa for sure dude. This mofo better win, cause he and Hatsu Hioki are pretty much the truth in Japanese MMA right now, and Omigawa losing would be a decisive fail.[/QUOTE]
Big loud OSU!!!! to that!!!! :nod:

[QUOTE=boardoholic;3019194]
Yup, Yamamoto's "personality" leaves much to be desired, eh? I wouldn't mind one bit if Johnson puts together several quick combos like in his past WEC bouts.:thumb:[/QUOTE]
Even after knee surgery, a failed attempt to make the Beijing Olympics, his wife leaving him, and a Muay Thai LARPing stint, he's still a super douche -- I'm completely befuddled! :doh:

verc 02-04-2011 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;3019215]
Even after knee surgery, a failed attempt to make the Beijing Olympics, his wife leaving him, and a Muay Thai LARPing stint, he's still a super douche -- I'm completely befuddled! :doh:[/QUOTE]

To me, that's why he's awesome though, lol. The fact that he just seems like he doesn't give a ****.

I mean.... I'm tired of the same old hard working "got five kids and two full time jobs and dedicated Christian" type fighter, haha. I like seeing the personalities.