i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   UFC Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/ufc-thread-219053/)

TurnWRX 05-08-2010 09:13 PM

UFC Thread

Might as well start an official one, since starting new threads for every ppv event is a pain.

But anyways, Kimbo Slice gets embarrassed and loses to Matt Mitrione

Josh Koscheck was being his usual self, talking isht and being a weasel. He wins by decision. Paul Daley will most likely get suspended for trying to punch Koscheck after the fight was over.

Next up: Machida vs Shogun!

dchoi23 05-08-2010 09:16 PM

you might want to edit the title with SPOILER

that hit from Daley was chicken sh*t. what a f*cking tool

OneManArmy 05-08-2010 09:17 PM

Mitrione is actually looking pretty good

TurnWRX 05-08-2010 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=dchoi23;2868199]you might want to edit the title with SPOILER

that hit from Daley was chicken sh*t. what a f*cking tool[/QUOTE]

not really a spoiler since it already happened. Most people here are either watching and/or don't care about spoilers.

What hit? He didn't even hit Koscheck with that knee or the punch after the fight.

dchoi23 05-08-2010 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2868202]Mitrione is actually looking pretty good[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan but yeah, he is looking decent.

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2868204]not really a spoiler since it already happened. Most people here are either watching and/or don't care about spoilers.

What hit? He didn't even hit Koscheck with that knee or the punch after the fight.[/QUOTE]

Some DVR it and watch it later or watch from online sources later. just a thought.

The hit at the end.

chayvezsan 05-08-2010 09:26 PM

so no one knows a free live stream link?

dchoi23 05-08-2010 09:28 PM

[QUOTE=chayvezsan;2868210]so no one knows a free live stream link?[/QUOTE]

mmashare but i dont think it's available right now. I'm sure you can watch it on mmalinker later tonight or early tomorrow.

TurnWRX 05-08-2010 09:28 PM

damn Machida got KO'd lol

his left eye is the size of a golfball :o

chayvezsan 05-08-2010 09:29 PM

wow, i just saw the end

chayvezsan 05-08-2010 09:30 PM

yeah, the link i had was probably overwhelmed with people trying to watch it, when it finally started playing they were interviewing rua and they show a shot of machidia with a ****ed up left eye...

OneManArmy 05-08-2010 09:36 PM

Yeah. I think he won the first one.

Lurk 05-09-2010 02:10 PM

The awesome right hook Shogun threw that caught Machida in the temple sealed the win for him. I'm glad he left no doubt as to who is the better fighter.

OneManArmy 05-09-2010 05:33 PM

My wife just told me there was a press release that said Kimbo got his walking papers.

Man, Dana played that well. Got TONS of press from Kimbo and made a boat load of money off him and just waited for him to loose. Most guys get 3 losses before they get their papers but Dana never wanted Kimbo in the UFC but man that was good business.

iLoqin 05-09-2010 08:00 PM

Kimbo could never fight anywho.

OneManArmy 05-09-2010 09:15 PM

Limbo can fight... but the mma game is tough to start in you 30s

stylin525 05-10-2010 09:28 AM

kimbo...

kimbo= no endurance at all....you can see him get gassed out quickly. Too much muscle.....and a big beard is all he got.....

p.s he still a scary mother effer

TurnWRX 05-10-2010 03:23 PM

lol I knew Bimbo Slice would never see another ppv in the UFC again, but getting released lol oh well. But yah like Stylin said, he was tired after the 1st round as he usually is with his other mma fights.

yayitzian 05-10-2010 07:14 PM

This was definitely one of the best UFC fights I've seen. I'm so glad that Shogun kTFO Machida and his Coward-style fighting. Shogun pushed forward HARD lol. It was almost funny to watch. we heard at least 4 neighboring condos cheering for that win.

And Kimbo looked like one of those action movies where the guy gets shot but still tries to stumble forward when he took those leg kicks after he was gassed lol.

I believe I heard Daley isn't suspended. I heard he got his walking papers as well.

TurnWRX 05-29-2010 09:53 PM

ufc 114 sucked majorly. All the main card fights went to decision, even the rampage vs evans. Evans win with his usual way, by decision. All boring fights.

OneManArmy 05-29-2010 10:15 PM

That sucks. Some I'm guessing Rashad ran around and dance and did his taunting monkey dance the whole time. Man I hate that guy. I was hoping rampage would crush him.

pwnx0rz 05-29-2010 10:24 PM

that was pretty ****ing gay

rau 05-29-2010 10:40 PM

I want my $45 back...... Bisping won, and that one dude that looked like Houston Alexander won, and those were the best fight. Rest of the cards were whack as ****

Throwdown 05-29-2010 11:21 PM

ya i was so f-ing excited for this UFC and it was the BIGGEST letdown ever. The whole time I was like "I should be watching the Stanley Cup right now."

TurnWRX 05-30-2010 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2879286]That sucks. Some I'm guessing Rashad ran around and dance and did his taunting monkey dance the whole time. Man I hate that guy. I was hoping rampage would crush him.[/QUOTE]

He did his usual take down for points. Only managed like 3-4 takedowns the entire fight as Rampage did a decent job defending the takedown. But you know how Evans likes to take people down and basically lay on top of them until the ref pulls them up? When he failed to take Rampage down, he just clinched with him and they basically did nothing until the ref pulled them apart. Basically the story of the whole fight. Evans managed a takedown each round.

Rampage basically did nothing the whole fight either except for the last round when he managed to stumble Evans but failed to take him out.

TurnWRX 06-12-2010 09:37 PM

Dayum, Rich Franklin suffers broken arm and still knocked out Liddell cold. Time for Chuckie to re-retire lol

TurnWRX 06-12-2010 09:39 PM

Pat Barry vs Crocop

Pat was being too nice and wasn't being aggressive enough. Probably why he lost when it really looked like he was winning the rounds until he got choked out.

rau 06-12-2010 10:09 PM

Barry got choked out!? by MCC? WTF?!

TurnWRX 06-13-2010 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=rau;2886411]Barry got choked out!? by MCC? WTF?![/QUOTE]

right near the end of the 3rd round, he got dropped to his knees by a flurry of strikes, ate a couple fists to the face, and forgot to guard his back. Gave Crocop a rear naked choke. He tapped in 3-4 seconds.

brucelee 06-13-2010 09:29 AM

Anyone have a clip of the Barry CroCop fight?

rau 06-13-2010 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2886489]right near the end of the 3rd round, he got dropped to his knees by a flurry of strikes, ate a couple fists to the face, and forgot to guard his back. Gave Crocop a rear naked choke. He tapped in 3-4 seconds.[/QUOTE]

dont get me wrong, I love CroCop as a fighter and respect all of his accomplishments. But just like I told Brucelee on his FB, if he had stayed way from his left leg and kept him on his back, Barry would have had a win

crazy_sherm 06-13-2010 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2886491]Anyone have a clip of the Barry CroCop fight?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.mmatko.com/patrick-barry-vs-mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-fight-video-ufc-115/[/url]

TurnWRX 06-13-2010 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=rau;2886511]dont get me wrong, I love CroCop as a fighter and respect all of his accomplishments. But just like I told Brucelee on his FB, if he had stayed way from his left leg and kept him on his back, Barry would have had a win[/QUOTE]

hmm? Crocop barely hit him with many kicks, probably only 2 kicks to the midsection, one axe kick, and that was it. Both were somewhat blocked as well.

If you watch the fight, Barry was being way too nice to Crocop. Pat dropped Crocop twice (even dislocated Crocop's jaw) in the first round and let him up both times, instead of pouncing on him. They must've high fived each other like 10 times during the whole fight, and even hugged each other twice, DURING the fight. Almost looked like a sparring session between good friends than a pure fight between competitors.

I said earlier the reason Barry lost was because he was being too nice. He could've beaten Crocop during the fight, but he saw Crocop as a friend instead and wasn't as aggressive as he should've been.

rau 06-13-2010 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2886575]hmm? Crocop barely hit him with many kicks, probably only 2 kicks to the midsection, one axe kick, and that was it. Both were somewhat blocked as well.

If you watch the fight, Barry was being way too nice to Crocop. Pat dropped Crocop twice (even dislocated Crocop's jaw) in the first round and let him up both times, instead of pouncing on him. They must've high fived each other like 10 times during the whole fight, and even hugged each other twice, DURING the fight. Almost looked like a sparring session between good friends than a pure fight between competitors.

I said earlier the reason Barry lost was because he was being too nice. He could've beaten Crocop during the fight, but he saw Crocop as a friend instead and wasn't as aggressive as he should've been.[/QUOTE]

didnt watch the fight so I dunno, I was speaking out of speculation, and stating what should have happened

verc 06-16-2010 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2886575]hmm? Crocop barely hit him with many kicks, probably only 2 kicks to the midsection, one axe kick, and that was it. Both were somewhat blocked as well.

I said earlier the reason Barry lost was because he was being too nice. He could've beaten Crocop during the fight, but he saw Crocop as a friend instead and wasn't as aggressive as he should've been.[/QUOTE]

You speak too soon - Barry broke his hand at the second knockdown. Source: guy I used to train with who's good friends with Barry from college.

Yes he was still being too nice, but there's other factors at play.

TurnWRX 07-03-2010 09:26 PM

Lesnar vs Carwin:

Exciting fight. I knew that if Lesnar could weather the storm in the 1st round he would win. Didn't think he'd submit Carwin though.

1st round Carwin landed some bombs on Lesnar, ground and pounded him, Lesnar was in big trouble. Ref was close to calling it a couple times but didn't. Lesnar was still defending, Carwin looked like he tired himself out. Lesnar saved by the bell.

2nd round Lesnar shoots and takes Carwin down, gets on top of him and lands an arm triangle for a submission win.

palmer628 07-03-2010 11:04 PM

i thought lesner was done for
i really dont think anyone can beat him.

03_Impreza_Al 07-03-2010 11:34 PM

That was a crazy fight.

brucelee 07-04-2010 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2896979]Lesnar vs Carwin:

Exciting fight. I knew that if Lesnar could weather the storm in the 1st round he would win. Didn't think he'd submit Carwin though.

1st round Carwin landed some bombs on Lesnar, ground and pounded him, Lesnar was in big trouble. Ref was close to calling it a couple times but didn't. Lesnar was still defending, Carwin looked like he tired himself out. Lesnar saved by the bell.

2nd round Lesnar shoots and takes Carwin down, gets on top of him and lands an arm triangle for a submission win.[/QUOTE]

WOW! I really wanted Lesner to lose... He's full of himself and thinks he's the shiz... No matter how great you are, it's always good to be humble, like Fedor for example... He never talks smack, is very polite and respectful which is what people love to see in a fighter. F' all those crap talking tuff guys!

OneManArmy 07-04-2010 12:39 AM

I guarantee you much of that evil lesner stuff is a show. Dana is no dummy and neither is lesner.

Carwin has a good shot at a rematch and winning it. I personally like them both. Nice to see real heavyweights for a change.

I want to see the leben fight. Sounded fun.

Hatteroo 07-04-2010 08:43 AM

Only 1 fight I wanted to see from 116...Lesnar vs Carwin and DAMN carwin very much dissapointed me! How the hell do you go from beating the crap out of someone 1 round then pull a 180 the next and get your ass handed to you?? Horribly dissapointing. Fedor needs to put lesnar in his place but lord knows dana probably won't let that happen yet otherwise fedor would have fought a long time ago in the ufc.

rau 07-04-2010 09:55 AM

Carwin has never been fought outside the first round. he has **** for cardio

TurnWRX 07-04-2010 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2897026]No matter how great you are, it's always good to be humble[/QUOTE]

funny u should say that, because when Joe Rogan interviewed him after the fight, Lesnar said almost the exact same thing lol

TurnWRX 07-04-2010 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2897037]I guarantee you much of that evil lesner stuff is a show. Dana is no dummy and neither is lesner.

[/QUOTE]

Part of that comes from him being a heel in the WWE. Makes the drama that much more exciting :D

-----------

Btw I heard Fedor lost to somebody recently. And it was in San Jose.

STiForFun 07-04-2010 11:54 AM

As much as I bite into Lesnar's heel character & thus dispise him; I respect the frack outta him for taking that beatdown Carwin gave him & winning the match. When they were standing for the bell at the second round, I looked at Lesnar smiling and went "uh-oh, he aint done, this is going to the ground"...then BOOM. Lesnar shoots and gets the punched out Carwin on the ground. The rest was classic ground game, Lesnars finish was perfect positioning. We may be looking at an Anderson Silva esque title run.

Hatteroo 07-04-2010 02:05 PM

[quote=rau;2897109]Carwin has never been fought outside the first round. he has **** for cardio[/quote]
hahaha yeaaah that was pretty obvious the 2nd round.

TurnWRX 08-01-2010 06:24 PM

UFC on VS right now.

Takanori Gomi knocks out Tyson Griffin with a right hook in the 1st round.

Can't wait to see Jon Bones Jones fight again!

Lurk 08-02-2010 09:22 AM

Jon Jones delivered an ass whoopin on Matyushenko.

skeeler 08-02-2010 01:07 PM

Jon Jones is pretty good but why put a prospect up against a washed up 40 year old version of clay guida. I would have rather watched a prospect fight a worthy opponent rather than some guy past his prime to bump up his record and not lose in one minute.

The silva fight will be awesome though.

nokio 08-04-2010 09:42 PM

Can't wait for this Saturday, a lot of solid fighters in that lineup. Planning on watching it at the Firehouse on Murphy in Sunnyvale Saturday night, too cheap to buy tickets lol.

Choku Dori 08-04-2010 10:01 PM

Good God, it's great to see Gomi motivated again.

TurnWRX 08-04-2010 10:10 PM

^ motivated, or was it a lucky strike? Fight was way too short to see if he's back to his previous form.

Choku Dori 08-04-2010 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2914208]^ motivated, or was it a lucky strike? Fight was way too short to see if he's back to his previous form.[/QUOTE]

At least looking at his physique, he definitely looks like he's motivated: he's cut like he was back when he was under old man Kiguchi, not round like he was after opening Kugayama Rascal. But whether he's back to his previous form, that's hard to tell at the moment.

Plus, the big right hook was more than just lucky. It's classic Gomi to smash anyone that tries to fight in the pocket with him. Tyson Griffin is a great wrestler, but he's a terrible striker and had absolutely no business trying to mix it up with Gomi. The two unanswered body shots early in the fight should've served as a warning for Griffin, but what does he do? He stays in the pocket and throws a half-assed lowkick. Anyone with 2 cents of boxing ability would have capitalized on it -- Gomi's boxing might not be the cleanest, but boy does he have nukes in those gloves! I suspect Griffin was worried about clinching with Gomi and possibly ending up on the bottom -- lots of fans forget that Gomi is a strong wrestler with wicked ground and pound from the Kiguchi Dojo.

Thinking again about it, I really gotta give Ken Flo credit for dismantling Gomi. Florian came in with a strong game plan and stuck with it. That's discipline!

nokio 08-04-2010 10:40 PM

Need to put this out there.. I feel pretty ashamed of my fellow UFC fans when I hear them chanting "USA! USA! USA!" I mean seriously I don't care where you're from if you're a good fighter that's it . (period)

That's what the crowd was chanting right before Griffin got KO'd

Tokyo! Tokyo! (Ok he's from Kanagawa but you get the idea)

TurnWRX 08-04-2010 10:49 PM

^didn't hear much of it, only heard it during the Okami vs Munoz fight.

Choku Dori 08-04-2010 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=nokio;2914232]Need to put this out there.. I feel pretty ashamed of my fellow UFC fans when I hear them chanting "USA! USA! USA!" I mean seriously I don't care where you're from if you're a good fighter that's it . (period)

Tokyo! Tokyo! (Ok he's from Kanagawa but you get the idea)[/QUOTE]

That's why pretty much every American fighter who's ever fought in Japan mentioned how much they like the audience there. Silence until they see something cool happen, then ooh's, aah's, and applause. :D

OneManArmy 08-04-2010 11:21 PM

The ufc has something to do with that. They always push nations. Look at the USA verse UK thing.

[QUOTE=nokio;2914232]Need to put this out there.. I feel pretty ashamed of my fellow UFC fans when I hear them chanting "USA! USA! USA!" I mean seriously I don't care where you're from if you're a good fighter that's it . (period)

Tokyo! Tokyo! (Ok he's from Kanagawa but you get the idea)[/QUOTE]

Guillermo 08-04-2010 11:27 PM

I'm going to the Oracle arena this weekend for UFC 117! HELLA stoked for a stacked card. Looking forward to it. Anyone else going?

Choku Dori 08-04-2010 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=Guillermo;2914276]I'm going to the Oracle arena this weekend for UFC 117! HELLA stoked for a stacked card. Looking forward to it. Anyone else going?[/QUOTE]

Lucky bastage, have fun!!! :D

skeeler 08-05-2010 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2914270]The ufc has something to do with that. They always push nations. Look at the USA verse UK thing.[/QUOTE]

Brazil > Everyone. Except heavyweights, I dont even know if they have any.

iLoqin 08-05-2010 10:36 AM

117 looks good. Oregon Republican Nominee? Sure we all don't like Silva for his boring pwnageness, but I think Silva will make him reconsider staying in politics, not the ring.

TurnWRX 08-07-2010 07:57 PM

So far USA 1 Brazil 1

Junior Dos Santos wins decision against Roy Nelson. Nelson took some huge shots throughout the whole fight. Santos couldn't knock him out no matter how hard he tried.

Matt Hughes chokes out Ricardo Almeida in the first round.

TurnWRX 08-07-2010 09:52 PM

DAMNIT!! CHAEL LOST!!!! Noo0o0o0o0o0oooo!!!

TurnWRX 08-07-2010 09:55 PM

Best fight of the year!!!! Sonnen vs Silva

Damnit Chael had this fight!!! He was owning Silva for the first 4 rounds. Was on top of Silva in the 5th, he was coasting for the decision, got careless and got caught in a triangle choke with like 2 minutes left.

Cannot believe he lost! :( :( :(

TurnWRX 08-07-2010 09:57 PM

In other fights, Clay Guida defeats Dos Anjos by tap out due to jaw injury.
Jon Fitch wins in decision against Thiago Alves.

If u guys missed the Chael vs Anderson fight, it's a must watch!

In the end:
USA 3 Brazil 2

rau 08-07-2010 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2915955]Best fight of the year!!!! Sonnen vs Silva

Damnit Chael had this fight!!! He was owning Silva for the first 4 rounds. Was on top of Silva in the 5th, he was coasting for the decision, got careless and got caught in a triangle choke with like 2 minutes left.

Cannot believe he lost! :( :( :([/QUOTE]

I watched. Silva got his ass absolutely beat all five rounds, and pulled out a trick from the ****ing hat.....

stylin525 08-07-2010 10:52 PM

missed the fight

missed the fights... where can i watch it?@!!!

OneManArmy 08-08-2010 10:06 AM

So pissed. Why the hell did sonnen push it. Dominate 4 rounds... need to be safe in the 5th. I told my brother that if sonnen lost it would be because he got overconfident and left himself open for a submission. That is how he always looses.

Lurk 08-08-2010 01:43 PM

That Silva fight was rigged. :cool:

Spoolin415 08-08-2010 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Lurk;2916179]That Silva fight was rigged. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I wish it was. It would be less embarrassing than Sonnen underestimating Silvia's condition and being oblivious when Silva was holding his wrist at his waist for a good minute before his dumb ass got triangled.

Sonnen and Carwin should release a DVD set on how to drop the ball in the worst way.

All that for absolutely nothing, total fail. :brick:

Lurk 08-08-2010 02:08 PM

I agree. If that fight wasn't rigged, then it was an EPIC FAIL on Sonnen's part. But I just can't imagine any professional fighter being that oblivious and unaware of his opponent's condition and failing to capitalize the way he did.

Choku Dori 08-08-2010 03:02 PM

Sonnen was already thinking about what to say to insult Silva over the mic post-fight when that triangle got locked in. :lol:

verc 08-08-2010 05:10 PM

It was a good night for both Silva and Sonnen.

Silva got to show he can still pull it off when he's not dominating everybody (didn't fold under pressure like Mike Tyson against Buster Douglas) and still win in a noncontroversial fashion (no Machida-Shogun 1 controversial decision)

Sonnen got to show all his haters that he could back up the **** talk, and showed he can beat the best. You guys gotta realize, before the Marquardt victor Chael Sonnen was basically headed towards gatekeeper status.

This performance by Sonnen also shows that Yushin Okami is still as legit as ever.

OneManArmy 08-08-2010 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=verc;2916259]It was a good night for both Silva and Sonnen.

Silva got to show he can still pull it off when he's not dominating everybody (didn't fold under pressure like Mike Tyson against Buster Douglas) and still win in a noncontroversial fashion (no Machida-Shogun 1 controversial decision)

Sonnen got to show all his haters that he could back up the **** talk, and showed he can beat the best. You guys gotta realize, before the Marquardt victor Chael Sonnen was basically headed towards gatekeeper status.

This performance by Sonnen also shows that Yushin Okami is still as legit as ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't think it was fixed... though it's not out of the question. Lord knows it looked like Forest took a dive.

Sonnen did pretty much exactly what I told my brother he would do... including the exact submission he got caught in. It's a HUGE weakness in his game. He constantly gets overconfident and over commits.

I think his corner failed on this one. When you're CLEARLY up 4 rounds to nothing... don't worry about finishing the fire. If you get the chance take it, but don't push it. He started off right by taking him down. What he should have done is laid on his ass and then let him up.

I'm happy to see that someone finally put a dent in Silva's apparently unbeatable image. I think fighters get can get like that and people get scared. It was like that with Machida. People get scared because the striking is so damn good. Sonnen did exactly what people need to do to Silva. Put the pressure on, put him on his ass, punch him in the face. Same thing with Machida. Shogun was the first guy to just take it too him.

I think the division will be much more interesting now. I'd like to see a rematch. I've always been a fan of Sonnen. Good fighter. Tough dude.

I hate Silva... I hate Silva more than I hate Lesner. I expect pretty shortly to see Silva start to slide to a 50/50 fighter.

skeeler 08-09-2010 08:02 AM

Sonnen backed up all the crap he talked. He lost because he was foolish. All the people saying he beat Silva's a$s for 5 rounds and silva got lucky, you don't know anything about fighting.

Its obvious what the strategy was, sonnen is a wrestler so he was either gonna take silva down or lose. Yeah, sonnen had him on the ground for 23 minutes but he failed to do any real damage. He got Silva with his hands in round one while standing up but his ground and pound < Silva's BJJ. Silva wasn't able to get Sonnen off but he didnt need to, Silva did more damage off his back than Sonnen did in Silva's guard. All those little slaps and tickles couldn't even cut Silva. Silva just laid on his back and waited for Sonnen to slip up, and the idiot gave him the fight because he was too busy doing those stupid little slaps. The fight went pretty much as expected. A wrester on top of the other guy for the entire fight but the BJJ guy getting his submission.

Both fighters did great though, they both proved a lot and I think Sonnen will be back for a rematch. Sonnen backed up his trash talk even though he lost, Silva proved he's resillient. I was totally confused in round one though. Sonnen connected huge on Silva and then like 3 seconds later Silva didnt even bother to put his hands up and caught like 2 more...

I like the clay guida fight as well, that guy is on of my favorites. Not the best fighter but always fun to watch. My favorite fight of the night was the Struve fight. He got socked up for the entire first round, his lip looked like it was going to fall off, then he knocked the dude out in round 2.

TurnWRX 08-09-2010 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2916271] What he should have done is laid on his ass and then let him up.
.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that. Silva's at his most dangerous when standing up. I don't remember what round it was, but when one round ended and another began, Silva still managed to rock Sonnen a couple times. I was nervous every time that Sonnen would get knocked out if he didn't take Silva to the ground. I think what he should've done is just pull a Brock Lesnar and lay on top of the guy and just make hammerfists or jab shots to the side of the head. That way Silva can't move too much or get a submission from it.

[QUOTE=skeeler;2916461] All those little slaps and tickles couldn't even cut Silva.
[/QUOTE]

Some people just tend to get cut or bleed more than others (i.e F Griffin). Doesn't mean those punches Sonnen dished out on Silva didn't hurt him.

[QUOTE=skeeler;2916461] I was totally confused in round one though. Sonnen connected huge on Silva and then like 3 seconds later Silva didnt even bother to put his hands up and caught like 2 more...
[/QUOTE]

Does Silva EVER put his hands up in a striking match? He's one arrogant and cocky bastard who thinks nobody can hit him. He's a great striker no doubt, but the reason he got caught or taken down early for that matter was because he doesn't take his opponent(s) seriously.

I'd bet if you were to go back and look at all his UFC fights, he probably had his hands down the whole time and probably dared the guy to hit him.

skeeler 08-09-2010 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2916470]
Some people just tend to get cut or bleed more than others (i.e F Griffin). Doesn't mean those punches Sonnen dished out on Silva didn't hurt him.
[/QUOTE]

Were you watching the same fight? Sonnen was like open fist slapping Silva. There were definitely some clean shots that connected. Sonnen was more worried about "staying busy" so the ref didnt stand them up. Most of his shots missed, or were little taps. Those ear pops were definitely legit though, those hurt.

The only round Sonnen was a threat to Silva was #1. The other rounds his ground and pound was nullified and he kind of just kicked it on top of Silva. Silva may have looked lazy but Sonnen's ground and pound is legit.

verc 08-09-2010 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2916473]Were you watching the same fight? Sonnen was like open fist slapping Silva. There were definitely some clean shots that connected. Sonnen was more worried about "staying busy" so the ref didnt stand them up. Most of his shots missed, or were little taps. Those ear pops were definitely legit though, those hurt.

The only round Sonnen was a threat to Silva was #1. The other rounds his ground and pound was nullified and he kind of just kicked it on top of Silva. Silva may have looked lazy but Sonnen's ground and pound is legit.[/QUOTE]

I think this is one of those scenarios (along with the Lawal-Mousasi fight) where you can argue Japanese MMA rules would have made it more active.

Basically the criteria for standing two fighters up in the Japanese type rules is not so much "being busy" but trying to finish the fight, which on the ground is advancing position.

We frequently run into a bad situation under American MMA rules where the two fighters are BUSY on the ground, but not advancing position to finish the fight.

skeeler 08-09-2010 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=verc;2916584]I think this is one of those scenarios (along with the Lawal-Mousasi fight) where you can argue Japanese MMA rules would have made it more active.

Basically the criteria for standing two fighters up in the Japanese type rules is not so much "being busy" but trying to finish the fight, which on the ground is advancing position.

We frequently run into a bad situation under American MMA rules where the two fighters are BUSY on the ground, but not advancing position to finish the fight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt they should have been stood up many times during the fight. Sonnen was just pinning him down the whole time. Unfortunately throwing 2 inch punches and slapping people is considered work. Sonnen had Silva on the ground but really didnt do much to threaten him. I'm suprised Sonnen became distracted with throwing those tiny punches out too, it cost him the belt.

nokio 08-09-2010 01:49 PM

What a fight, I was really proud of Sonnen actually enacting his gameplan upon Silva. I really wanted to see Silva get beat, but before the fight started, I still put $5 (Yeah I know baller status) on Silva, which I gladly took from my friend while still in a state of shock at the end of the fight.

Silva played it smart and lulled Sonnen into getting too confident on top. I'll admit that after 4 rounds of Sonnen on top and Silva not being able to get out, the 5th round with <3min to go didn't look so good for Silva as Sonnen had solidly won the first 4 rounds. Silva did a good job training for this fight and obviously was ready to be on his back for the duration.

It was great to see Sonnen ***** slap some humbleness into Silva, because Silva is such a talented fighter that if he really took it seriously, he would dominate even more than he already does. It's sad to see a great fighter squander his abilities. Sonnen needs to learn the submission game and not just ground-n-pound because that is one-dimensional in a multi-dimensional sport. If he could get some lessons from Shinya Aoki that would be awesome.

The biggest irony is that Sonnen was talking **** about Silva's BJJ credentials, saying that getting a degree from wherever he got his from is like getting a toy in your happy meal. When a BJJ move finished the fight there was nothing else to be said.

gh0st shad0w 08-09-2010 02:13 PM

Silva said he came into the fight with a rib injury and the doctor told him not to fight but he fought anyways. I'm still a fan of his even though he pulls some stupid **** sometimes like show boating when it is uncalled for. Even Sonnen expected more of a fight from him and agreed that something probably was wrong with him. I want to see a rematch when they are both 100%.

skeeler 08-09-2010 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=gh0st shad0w;2916658]Silva said he came into the fight with a rib injury and the doctor told him not to fight but he fought anyways. I'm still a fan of his even though he pulls some stupid **** sometimes like show boating when it is uncalled for. Even Sonnen expected more of a fight from him and agreed that something probably was wrong with him. I want to see a rematch when they are both 100%.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Silva looked like he was sick or like he just woke up. Anyone see that Stefan Struve fight?

downsti 08-09-2010 02:59 PM

Fixed fight

1 owner, has total power

skeeler 08-09-2010 03:16 PM

Fixed fight? Any fight can change at any time.

jawfxr 08-09-2010 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=TurnWRX;2915956]In other fights, Clay Guida defeats [COLOR="Red"]Dos Anjos[/COLOR] by tap out due to jaw injury.
Jon Fitch wins in decision against Thiago Alves.

If u guys missed the Chael vs Anderson fight, it's a must watch!

In the end:
USA 3 Brazil 2[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hijack the thread but my new patient is a Brazilian guy that broke his jaw at a fight this weekend and I think it may be this guy. Is he a badass? Where is he on the grand scheme of things? Just curious.

03'EyeBug 08-09-2010 10:50 PM

Here's the fight for anyone that missed it. Make sure to keep a low profile about this page, and turn your volume [B]OFF.[/B]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzFPUmMJqo[/url]

EDIT:Apologies it's only the 4th/5th rounds. Best I could find so far.

03'EyeBug 08-09-2010 10:58 PM

I also found this amusing.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8N9HIOgZls&feature=related[/url]

Choku Dori 08-09-2010 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=jawfxr;2917026]Sorry to hijack the thread but my new patient is a Brazilian guy that broke his jaw at a fight this weekend and I think it may be this guy. Is he a badass? Where is he on the grand scheme of things? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

You can say he's an up-and-comer.
His profile:
[url]http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rafael-dos-Anjos-11675[/url]

Just outta curiosity, are you a doctor or something?

OneManArmy 08-10-2010 01:01 AM

Thanks for the link. It's got some good shots of the tap.

Honestly... if I was Sonnen I'd have beef too. His "tap" was one inner thigh. If you're tapping because you have to you tap quickly and more than once.

He wavers and taps a hand on the inner thigh and IMMEDIATELY goes for his own forearm. I think he's got a decent beef on that one.

Now beyond that... I think he was pretty close to having to tap anyways. He should have left his damn arm in. Would have been fine. Put it up on his ear.

I think he deserves another shot.

As for Silva and the rib injury. I'd like to see a doctors note on that one. I don't see Dana allowing his most dominate fighter to take that big of a risk. You don't fight with broken ribs. I couldn't move around for **** when I broke mine and I have a half way decent pain tolerance. Beyond that, it's INSANELY dangerous. If one of those gets hit even half way decent it can snap into a vital organ.

I think he's full of ****. Either that or he wasn't taking Sonnen seriously.

I can't wait until someone folds silva in half. I hate that dude.

03'EyeBug 08-10-2010 06:32 AM

I used to like Silva but he's become too much of a showboater and he's waaaay too cocky.

TurnWRX 08-10-2010 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2917125]

As for Silva and the rib injury. I'd like to see a doctors note on that one. I don't see Dana allowing his most dominate fighter to take that big of a risk. You don't fight with broken ribs. I couldn't move around for **** when I broke mine and I have a half way decent pain tolerance. Beyond that, it's INSANELY dangerous. If one of those gets hit even half way decent it can snap into a vital organ.

I think he's full of ****. Either that or he wasn't taking Sonnen seriously.

I can't wait until someone folds silva in half. I hate that dude.[/QUOTE]

funny thing is, Silva took some shots to the ribs while on the ground. Didn't faze him at all.

skeeler 08-10-2010 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2917125]Thanks for the link. It's got some good shots of the tap.

Honestly... if I was Sonnen I'd have beef too. His "tap" was one inner thigh. If you're tapping because you have to you tap quickly and more than once.

He wavers and taps a hand on the inner thigh and IMMEDIATELY goes for his own forearm. I think he's got a decent beef on that one.

[/QUOTE]

Sonnen clearly tapped out, and if you think about it do you really think it matters if he tapped. He isnt going to get out of a leg triangle and an arm bar. That's probably why he didn't dispute it afterwards. Sonnen let that go like 30 seconds after the ref ended the fight. I don't know if its a rule or anything in the UFC or american MMA but i'm pretty sure fake tapping isn't allowed and thats what it looks like sonnen did.

As soon as I saw the ref wasn't Herb Dean or Mario that asian ref, I said they shouldn't put that lame ref up for a title fight. The call was controversial at first but its undisputable if you look past the questionable tap and look at the situation.

Also for Silva being disrespectful to most fighters, that's true. Most people do not even challenge him, and I see why he treats them like they dont deserve to be in a cage with him. I don't know if you watched the fight, or just some clips. After the fight ended Silva walked over to Sonnen, got on his knees and bowed to him, that's respect right there.

I totally agree with Sonnen getting another shot at Silva, he is still the only contender. Silva has pretty much cleaned out that division and dominated everyone except Sonnen. I know GSP was toying around with moving up to fight Silva. There is really nothing left for Silva besides going up.

Penn V Edgar 2 at the end of the month though, I think the UFC after that is a Frank Mir main event.

skeeler 08-10-2010 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;2917056]You can say he's an up-and-comer.
His profile:
[url]http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rafael-dos-Anjos-11675[/url]

Just outta curiosity, are you a doctor or something?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I think he WAS an up and comer. Guida is definitely one of those guys who isn't a champ but isn't a chump. Guida is kind of the gate keeper seperating the good from the bad, and the UFC uses him to launch others carrers. A win vs guida throws you in a group of contenders.

OneManArmy 08-10-2010 10:07 AM

Penn v edger should be great. Penn wont take him so lightly this time.

Mir is looking as good physically as he ever has. I want to see him fight carwin again.

gh0st shad0w 08-10-2010 12:18 PM

I wanna see Carwin shut his lights out again I never liked Mir.

Penn vs Edger should be a good one. BJ always comes back a little better after losing.

TurnWRX 08-10-2010 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=skeeler;2917192]

After the fight ended Silva walked over to Sonnen, got on his knees and bowed to him, that's respect right there.
[/QUOTE]

He did the same to Damien Maia. Yet he disrespected him to the fullest during the entire fight.

Irrational X 08-10-2010 01:46 PM

dont know if anyone watched the [url]www.ufc.com/marines[/url] videos but they are fairly entertaining.

Marine: "so are you guys ready to sign up?"
Gonzaga in his thick accent: "ja, but i note allowed..."

skeeler 08-10-2010 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=gh0st shad0w;2917291]I wanna see Carwin shut his lights out again I never liked Mir.

Penn vs Edger should be a good one. BJ always comes back a little better after losing.[/QUOTE]

I like Mir, most heavyweights are about knock outs. Mir likes to submit.

You guys know that the guy who beat big country (roy nelson or w/e) is getting a title shot after lesnar and velasquez fight next? Heavyweights really only have like 5 good fighters, its weird. I mean a guy like big country is not even on the same planet as carwin or lesnar, yet he was 1 fight away from a title shot.

Im definitely excited to see BJ do work. He gets lazy but is a beast when he is hungry. I hate when title fights go to decision. KO/Sumbit or rematch.

iLoqin 08-10-2010 03:20 PM

Eh, in a heated fight like that I think he was done, although the tap was kinda unclear, it was "Oh crap I'm screwed, I'm tapping" but then he realized he could probably hold out a few more seconds to do something. The official probably assumed the correct thing, but coulda let it go on because it was such a great match.

Choku Dori 08-10-2010 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2917125]

I can't wait until someone folds silva in half. I hate that dude.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully these will make your Tuesday more bearable then :D
[youtube]267i7rKeECA[/youtube]
[youtube]eY86OktkiAY[/youtube]

gh0st shad0w 08-10-2010 05:53 PM

Wow that flying scissor heel hook was sweet!