Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
Are/when are you guys going to work on the intake side? Subaru said there's plenty room for improvement on that end. Wish they developed ITBs from the factory for better tuning of throttle response and power. Tomei has a reversed manifold with itbs for the impreza, but I'm sure it wouldn't work on the FA20. I know "everyone" wants these cars turbo'd and what not, but I'm looking forward to a nice set of mild lift cams that will make these cars scream to an 8k redline and deliver more power.
Intake side in tomorrow and next week.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Kinda blows to see that the 2014 brz sti is still non turbo but with 50 more HP and a 7500rpm I'm sure the car will me a blast to drive. Some info..
2014 Subaru BRZ STI - Top Speed

Ever since Subaru dropped the new BRZ onto the market, we knew that an even hotter STI version was sure to follow. Now, British magazine AutoExpress is offering a few details on this new model, set to arrive sometime next year.

The future BRZ STI will feature a more powerful version of the current 2.0-liter flat-four cylinder ’boxer’ engine. The output will be raised up to somewhere in the 250 HP area (an addition of about 50 HP) thanks to the modifications made to the engine’s variable valve control system. That will also allow for an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm with the help of a new freer-flowing exhaust.

Next to the extra power, the new STI will also be even lighter than the standard BRZ. It will also be distinguished by a dramatic bodykit, a stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels, and upgraded brakes.

One downside to the BRZ STI is that there will be no turbocharged version offered. Subaru says there is no space for it in the engine bay and they are reserving these version for models like the WRX STI.

When the BRZ STI does debut, Subaru would have taken the next step in their playful game of one-ups-man-ship. What say you, Toyota?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Can anyone confirm what ECU these are using?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Originally Posted by earlyapex
Can anyone confirm what ECU these are using?
They're different than the impreza I know that much. Different firmware or something like that
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Kinda blows to see that the 2014 brz sti is still non turbo but with 50 more HP and a 7500rpm I'm sure the car will me a blast to drive. Some info..
2014 Subaru BRZ STI - Top Speed

Ever since Subaru dropped the new BRZ onto the market, we knew that an even hotter STI version was sure to follow. Now, British magazine AutoExpress is offering a few details on this new model, set to arrive sometime next year.

The future BRZ STI will feature a more powerful version of the current 2.0-liter flat-four cylinder ’boxer’ engine. The output will be raised up to somewhere in the 250 HP area (an addition of about 50 HP) thanks to the modifications made to the engine’s variable valve control system. That will also allow for an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm with the help of a new freer-flowing exhaust.

Next to the extra power, the new STI will also be even lighter than the standard BRZ. It will also be distinguished by a dramatic bodykit, a stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels, and upgraded brakes.

One downside to the BRZ STI is that there will be no turbocharged version offered. Subaru says there is no space for it in the engine bay and they are reserving these version for models like the WRX STI.

When the BRZ STI does debut, Subaru would have taken the next step in their playful game of one-ups-man-ship. What say you, Toyota?
OMG what a load of BS!

There is just no F'n way they are squeezing another 50 hp out of that 2.0 NA motor just by raising the the redline 100 RPM, and its not like they can add any more compression and still run on pump gas, and theres no set of cams ever thats going to add 50hp to that 2liter, even if smog werent a concern.

To put in perspective, the S2000 needed an 8,900 redline AND VTEC just to make 240hp, and sorry to tell you but variable cam timing is no where near the power adder that VTEC is, AVCS/DAVCS can only adjust the amount of overlap between the cams to adjust the power band, its definitely no replacement for an entire new set of cam lobes VTEC brings to the equation. What the hell were they thinking printing that? haha!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
OMG what a load of BS!

There is just no F'n way they are squeezing another 50 hp out of that 2.0 NA motor just by raising the the redline 100 RPM, and its not like they can add any more compression and still run on pump gas, and theres no set of cams ever thats going to add 50hp to that 2liter, even if smog werent a concern.

To put in perspective, the S2000 needed an 8,900 redline AND VTEC just to make 240hp, and sorry to tell you but variable cam timing is no where near the power adder that VTEC is, AVCS/DAVCS can only adjust the amount of overlap between the cams to adjust the power band, its definitely no replacement for an entire new set of cam lobes VTEC brings to the equation. What the hell were they thinking printing that? haha!
I think it's still way to early to be talking specs on the STI version. Not to mention that picture in the article is photoshopped to hell! To come anywhere close to those type of gains they'd have to develope an awesome ITB setup, good cams, and a "race car" quality NA headers and exhaust. Might as well give it a small twin scroll turbo and a front mount with stronger internals and call it good. Turbo lag would be minimal, and you'd still get respectable power gains. Though I'm all for keeping it NA, it'll be hard for Subaru to match S2000 FC engine perfomance.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
There is plenty of room for a turbo in these cars. All they need is a up-pipe and down pipe and the turbo would fit right were the wrx /sti turbo is right now.

And to get power increase and stay smog legal and small motor. Turbo is going to be needed.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM

With these new cars and engines you won't have a turbo setup as found in the WRX/STI line up. It'll be like this turbo version of Subaru's 1.6L-This particular engine would most likely be used for an econo-fuel efficient vehicle.

Name:  7682754b.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  52.8 KB

Though in the case for the BRZ I'd hope they opt for a FMIC setup.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Even the GT300 BRZ has this setup. And usually what's proven on track trickles down to production levels.

Name:  ce557cdb.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  85.0 KB
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM

With these new cars and engines you won't have a turbo setup as found in the WRX/STI line up. It'll be like this turbo version of Subaru's 1.6L-This particular engine would most likely be used for an econo-fuel efficient vehicle.

Though in the case for the BRZ I'd hope they opt for a FMIC setup.
actually Im sure they would just use the nearly identical 2.0 turbo FB motor they are already using in other cars.
They already have a version of it slated to make 300hp,

Subaru debuts a turbo version of the FA20 engine | Kaizen Factor

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM

actually Im sure they would just use the nearly identical 2.0 turbo FB motor they are already using in other cars.
They already have a version of it slated to make 300hp,
the FA shares little in common with the FB engine, with a different block, head, connecting rods, and pistons. In fact, one pundit claims that a few bolts are all the FA20 and FB20 have in common
jk.. Yeah they seem designed about the same, just different because one is NA and one has to be reinforced for forced induction.

That's quite the torque band, A very torque happy engine.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

gazoo did a supercharger turbo combo and even it doesn't look cramped
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 PM

jk.. Yeah they seem designed about the same, just different because one is NA and one has to be reinforced for forced induction.
lol okay, yeah what I meant was they are nearly the identical architecture/dimensions, so they would certainly just use the FB instead of trying to backwards engineer a turbo onto the FA. Like I said before, its an off-the-shelf motor and Subaru isnt going to walk away from money on the table

And this doesnt even look like a car anymore!

Even the GT300 BRZ has this setup. And usually what's proven on track trickles down to production levels.

Last edited by Krinkov; 05-17-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 AM

And this doesnt even look like a car anymore!
Yeah, it's taken on the bells and whistles of a race car, but the turbo location is my concern. If Subaru/STI arent using the traditional design with an uppipe to the underside of the hood for the GT300 car, then they won't use that design for a production turbo BRZ. It's a lot more efficient to have the turbo location under the engine right off the header, and it's a perfect setup for a TS turbo .. I personally don't think there's enough room for the norm WRX/STI turbo location setup on the BRZ. There's clearly not the same space there is on the impreza.

But Subaru has already said they have no plan on making a turbo BRZ anyway so no need to keep talking about it lol. Maybe they'll change their tune in a few years, but for now look to the aftermarket if you want to blow you FA up
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Ecu is still Denso?

Awesome.

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)