TMIC fitment issue! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by DerekB707
What Y pipe are you using? I had to get rid of my wrx / perrin y pipe hose and goto a solid Y pipe with samco turbo to yipe pipe coupler, then had to have a longer IC to throttle body coupler. I also had to bend the mounting brackets some.
It looks like the stock Y pipe in there. I am not using my stock i went with a Samco Y pipe and bent my brackets like DerekB suggests. Dont give up the fight man. At first when i was trying to get mine in i felt like it was not going to fit. I pulled out the drivers side bracket and that helped me get more wiggle jiggle room and to get the IC in.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
here are some shots of my TMIC. It sits more to the drivers side than a stock. I had to bend the drivers side bracket to make it work. Name:  IMG_1849.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  176.8 KBName:  IMG_1848.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  150.5 KB

Last edited by SkizzDawg; 03-07-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Pic didnt show.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Car Info: wrx02
lol. Sorry, I just had to laugh when I saw OP's fitment pictures. I think we all are familiar with aftermarket part puzzles all too well. I'm sure you will figure it out though.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
lol i think he realizes that, how about some suggestions bud!
hey now haha I meant that there were a lot of times where I was sure that the TMIC would not fit, but I just had to force that thing to fit which took a while.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Car Info: Fast
You need an aftermarket y pipe, or an elbow with longer "legs". You also need a longer TB to IC piece. Should run you about $50 from siliconehoses.com My Spearco case with the TB coupler, and I already had a Perrin Y-pipe from another intercooler. All pics below are with VF-39

As the the PCV to inlet hose, get rid of that metal **** and run 3 pieces of hose that connect in the middle with a T. OR keep the three hoses you have (2 from the heads and one from the inlet and get a T as well as 2 inline fittings as shown in my picture. Use PCV specific hose. DONE DEAL.

Name:  spearco2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  spearco1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  128.9 KB

Last edited by aboothman; 03-07-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM

You may be able to loosen the 90 degree elbow and slide it enough to get it on the turbo, then tighten it again. And finally, take the god damn mounting bolts off!! You can bend the **** out of the mounting brackets if needed later, but you need toe ability to move the intercooler while getting the TB and Turbo couplers on.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Looks like the same fitment issues I had with my APS intercooler. Took 4 hours, lots of bending/hammering and cutting the L(Y) pipe a zillion times. I ended up having to fit it on an angle. Good luck brah
That much trouble? My APS went in pretty smooth, I had to hammer down the left bracket lower so that the top of the intercooler didn't rub on the underside of the hood, but thats about it.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by aboothman

As the the PCV to inlet hose, get rid of that metal **** and run 3 pieces of hose that connect in the middle with a T. OR keep the three hoses you have (2 from the heads and one from the inlet and get a T as well as 2 inline fittings as shown in my picture. Use PCV specific hose. DONE DEAL.
I would just keep the factory metal hose, its easy to relocate on to the spearco which is already drilled for the bolts to attach it. Get a metal nipple from home depot a couple inches long, cut the threads off on both sides so that you have a one inch spacer, get a drill bit and ream out the inside to be slightly larger than the bolts you are attaching it with, then get longer bolts. It will look stock and look like it belongs there instead of using that kitchen sink looking hose.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM

That is way more trouble than it is worth. If you are that worried about appearances, use a black PCV hose LOL. Route it under the TB and DONE DEAL.

For Christ's sake STOP making this harder than it really is!!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by NorCal_Scoob
That much trouble? My APS went in pretty smooth, I had to hammer down the left bracket lower so that the top of the intercooler didn't rub on the underside of the hood, but thats about it.
Ya man it was hell but my problem was using the stock TB coupler I think. Im going to order a set of silicone coupler and L pipe again and bend the bracket even more. I have a feeling some of my random knock is attributed to the bracket ratting against the intercooler.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Ya man it was hell but my problem was using the stock TB coupler I think. Im going to order a set of silicone coupler and L pipe again and bend the bracket even more. I have a feeling some of my random knock is attributed to the bracket ratting against the intercooler.
I'm still surprised you didn't give up at 2AM when I left

Pretty sure I said something about that TB hose while we were trying to fit it
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Car Info: Eq tuned Dom3 xtr 2T Ruckus 2012 Zx6r
ditch that intercooler bracket! and run a different intercooler to turbo hose.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I have to figure out something totally diffrent. Hood won't close right. So... I'll just let the guys at EQ take care of it when I do my turbo swap. I don't want the tmic to fit with my VF34 in. This new set up will make the tmic fit differently, needs to fit with the new.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
I have to figure out something totally diffrent. Hood won't close right. So... I'll just let the guys at EQ take care of it when I do my turbo swap. I don't want the tmic to fit with my VF34 in. This new set up will make the tmic fit differently, needs to fit with the new.
Just take that vacuum steel tube off for now, its probably hitting the rubber part of your air splitter. Are you towing it to EQ? I have a truck and car trailer if you don't have any other options.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Just take that vacuum steel tube off for now, its probably hitting the rubber part of your air splitter. Are you towing it to EQ? I have a truck and car trailer if you don't have any other options.
Thank you for the offer Derek, means a lot! I think I'll just limp it there. Not going to be for a month or two

Quick Reply: TMIC fitment issue! Help!!