Tint Fix it Ticket. what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mot
when you get a fix-it ticket, you usually fix it...
Not necessarily. If he likes the tint and wants to keep it he can just pay the fine.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
You can take the tint off yourself with a razor blade goo gone and a heat gun it's very easy. It took me like 20 mins. If you don't have a heat gun park your car in direct sunlight on a hot day for a few hours.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by aboothman
Just take it off...especially if you have other mods, carry drugs, drive drunk, or like to do stupid **** when you drive. Wait, if you do everything after other mods, go ahead and leave it on
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by ruehl
You can take the tint off yourself with a razor blade goo gone and a heat gun it's very easy. It took me like 20 mins. If you don't have a heat gun park your car in direct sunlight on a hot day for a few hours.

x2 If you go this route, I've done it 4 or 5 times. Its not that hard. I didn't even use a heat gun, it'll rip off in one piece if you are careful. Then let the googone soak into the boogers it leaves, and scrape it clean, with NEW razor blades.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
the front tints are probably not even dark enough to want to keep by just paying off the fine. get rid of it and go back to get it on match the 5 in the back, why not if youre gonna get popped for something lighter right?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Car Info: N/A
Technically could you just keep the tint on and keep paying the fix it fine? Or do they actually make you pull it off after a certain amount of tickets?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
So, if he decides to just pay the fine and not fix it, what does that cost roughly? Just curious.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW WRX | 2010 e90 335i M-Sport
Originally Posted by DerekB707
So, if he decides to just pay the fine and not fix it, what does that cost roughly? Just curious.
it cost me about $180 last march
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Find a buddy and have 'em sign it. Pay the 10-25 bux fee, and keep doing that til I actually hear of some 2nd/3rd/5th price hikes.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
ill get you out of the fix it ticket, pay me
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by twhitey10
x2 If you go this route, I've done it 4 or 5 times. Its not that hard. I didn't even use a heat gun, it'll rip off in one piece if you are careful. Then let the googone soak into the boogers it leaves, and scrape it clean, with NEW razor blades.
Shouldn't even need that. Soapy water should do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by iLoqin
From what you've said, you must have known the windows are illegal. Anything other than default windows (that are as dark as they get... yes it's pretty much almost clear) are illegal. It's very easy to determine if any tint is on your windows because anything other than plain clear is illegal. Cops can pop you without doing any testing at all.

Your choice, get it signed off by a buddy cop, or just take it off.
no, you can have some tint on your front windows.

Per the CVC website: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

It does say this:

26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

but in subsection (d) we have this point (section 1 is the most important)...

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

so you can have tint that allows 88% of visible light, but you also need documentation that it meets those levels.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
glass blocks on avg about 30% of visible light out. so anything is on those windows is illegal. unless you have glass with no UV protection then you can put 88% tint on your car which i highly doubt any of us can get a hold of. section2 states that the glass is federally certified to black 30% already. think about it i dont think any glass is going to be 100% transparent.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by aboothman
Just take it off...especially if you have other mods, carry drugs, drive drunk, or like to do stupid **** when you drive. Wait, if you do everything after other mods, go ahead and leave it on
For F*cks sake people...remove your tint, put on your front plate and lose the loud fartcan pipes....why get tickts for things that have no performance value for your car....especially is you don't wan't a pig sticking his snout in your car and taking a deep sniff

Save your money for a quality downpipe and tune
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Heedz
glass blocks on avg about 30% of visible light out. so anything is on those windows is illegal. unless you have glass with no UV protection then you can put 88% tint on your car which i highly doubt any of us can get a hold of. section2 states that the glass is federally certified to black 30% already. think about it i dont think any glass is going to be 100% transparent.
the last tint shop I was at had some crazy stuff that was something like 93%(IIRC), but when they would use it along with what was already factory, it met the 88% legal limit in California.

The nice part was that it was still a UV filter, so it still helped with your interior fading from the sunlight.

Quick Reply: Tint Fix it Ticket. what to do??