To throw on blizzaks or to not for tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM

To throw on blizzaks or to not for tahoe?

What would you guys do? I go only a handful of times each year and each time I've gone I've regretted having all seasons. Well this year, I picked up a set of blizzaks but noticing how the weather's been in tahoe, i wonder if I should even throw them on. I'll be going Dec 26-29, the weather looks to be clear until then.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Car Info: Bagged 2014 STi
I have mine on and I regret it, The roads are pretty clear right now. I just bought a second set of rims to use with my stock summer tires that I will use to swap out when I go up to Tahoe to make the Blizzacks last a few seasons. I did the same thing with my old Subaru and had the Blizzacks for 3 seasons and sold them with the car. Hopefully January we can actually get some use out of them...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Car Info: Fast
Check the weather for the time you will be there. I have been several times when the weather was great and the roads were nice. Almost every time a storm rolls in and dumps a foot or 2 overnight. One time I had my new Re-960 and all was good. Another I had my rs-3 hankook summer tires.

It all comes down to whether you expect it to snow or not. If not go with some all seasons
Old 12-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
Snow tires are nice but it would depend on how often you are driving up there imo. I've always driven on decent all seasons because I spend the majority of the time driving around where it really only rains/dry. Just have to be careful

but given that you have them, put them on!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
a good set off all seasons like the dws's work great in light ice and snow on the roads, but you cant ever go wrong with snow tires haha they kill in the snow!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
be a real man: get another set of wheels for those blizzaks.

i keep my snow tires on my stockers for tahoe trips. its a great way to go.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 06 obp sti
I dont know why so many of you are so concerned with snow tires, albeit im from tahoe. but ive moved back there for part of the winter as well as stayed up there every weekend last winter with just summer tires since owning my sti. if its bad and the roads are clear just drive with common sense. but most of the time you have idiots on the rd that go 30mph anyways so you dont even need snow tires because your driving very slow, even if you had fwd you'd be fine. Ive traveled hwy 50 in some of the worst snow storms in summer tires and been a-okay.

Now if you want to haul *** then yes winter tires are nice. But most of the time you cant because even on that road in the summer people drive slow as ****.

just drive with common sense and think about what your doing and you'll be fine
Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Car Info: Fast
Well I previously slid my car into an embankment on snow with packed ice under it. I was going about 10 mph (no ****, I was) on summer tires (Star Specs), and when I tried to turn the car it turned into a sled. No brakes, turn and throttle...I know how to drive when I have grip lol. The cost of a new bumper, fender liners, paint, etc was about what I paid for a set of all season or snow tires with an extra set of BBS.

I think that Kelly is right. As long as you do not drive like a douche, a set of all seasons will get you through all buy heavy ice and snow. Summer tires are **** tho unless it is REALLY not going to dump.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
no significant snow forecasted through new years, so no need for blizzaks just yet
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 06 AW WRX
i picked up a set of continental DWS' last season and road up during some pretty heavy storms and they handled like champs. as long as you arnt trying to go too fast, they provide more than enough grip and control to handle the ice and snow. first trip up last season i road up when it was pretty icey/snowy on some street tires and it did not go well at all. skid all over the place, got stuck in the parking lot of sierra, had to get dragged out. Was not fun at all. But try some conti DWS' and im sure youll be happy
Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
def no need for blizzaks. not with the current conditions..
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 AM

my stockers are on a set on a set of old toyo proxes 4, i might just use those instead of my federal 595s just to play it safe. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
I rolled up to Tahoe in a complete blizzard on my Proxes4's and I was fine. I also tried driving in light snow on my RE615s. After that experience i bought some dedicated M/S tires and threw them on my stockers.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by irrational x
I rolled up to Tahoe in a complete blizzard on my Proxes4's and I was fine. I also tried driving in light snow on my RE615s. After that experience i bought some dedicated M/S tires and threw them on my stockers.
Yeah I've driven in the snow on Proxe 4's, Pzeros, ASX, AST, ES100's, RE070's, 912's, snow tires, various truck tires, etc. The proxe 4 is actually half way decent for an M/S tire in snow... I'd compare it to the Kumho AST or whatever it is... they both do pretty sell in rain, decent in snow and are a little soft for handling.

Pzero is the best all around tire I've ever driven. Then I'd throw the ASX in there and the DSW if you can afford it.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I have a set of blizzacks on some 13 wrx stockers and LOVE them. I just check the forecast for when I go, if no storm I will leave on my all seasons, if storm throw on the blizzaks. You can pick up some wrx stockers for cheap these days to leave them mounted up.

Quick Reply: To throw on blizzaks or to not for tahoe?