For those who have built engine

Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 AM

Car Info: 09 DGM STi
For those who have built engine

What shop did you take it to and how much did they charge? I am looking for pistons and rod installation and maybe some other stuff. What do you think that would run me?

Edit:

The reason I am building my motor is because I have Cracked ringlands - Piston failure #2/#4. Subaru is replacing my motor under warranty.

Last edited by dkohn1337; 04-24-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by dkohn1337
What shop did you take it to and how much did they charge? I am looking for pistons and rod installation and maybe some other stuff. What do you think that would run me?
Fine Line Imports in Santa Rosa. Steve is the master of all things. I've got a fully built hybrid motor. (No not hybrid as in electric/gas)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I've read that Steve teabags every engine that he assembles, to give it extra strength.

It's always best to contact the various shops with an itemized list of what you want done.
From what I've seen, most people tend to overbuild an engine for their particular project.

Feel free to PM me your wish list.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I took mine to AutoHQ and the build cost me about 10k
Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
If you have a useable core, we have a build package with CP pistons, ACL race bearings, balanced/polished crank, CNC bore and hone, and we assemble and set/blueprint all tolerences and oil clearances in house. This package costs $2500. If you have your own parts, give us a call for an adjusted price.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
You're gonna get go to this shop don't go to that shop in support and against just about every shop in the bay area.

Do the research... there's plenty of threads. Figure out who you're comfortable with, who you think will do the best job and most of all (IMO) who will take care of you WHEN something goes wrong. There is no ifs. It's when. I know for a fact all of the major shops you're gonna get listed here and have at this point have blown up customer motors.

So now for my input. GST.

Why... because they'll take care of you when something goes wrong. In my experience directly and in being around this forum and it's members for a long time there are a few shops out there that will do whatever they can to not pay for mistakes.

you're in san jose so GST is just down the road.

I'd say mikes motors are doing pretty damn well right now considering it took nearly 50psi to put any damage on the last one.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Have you even broken in that 09 motor yet? lol

+1 for GST and LIC
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
Have you even broken in that 09 motor yet? lol

+1 for GST and LIC
If he wants piston and rods my question would be... have you broken the 09 motor yet and is the core good...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If he wants piston and rods my question would be... have you broken the 09 motor yet and is the core good...
touché
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx, 05 Elise, 14 Impreza, 17 brz coming soon
make sure you pick out a GOOD machine shop for the measurments and matching, but then again im sure the shop you take your build to should be taking care of who does that.

ps a lot of rods out there are either weaker or just about the same strength as the STi forged ones, so choose carefully, or save the money and keep the STi ones..unless you will be making over probably 450-500hp/lbs? somewhere around there

i recommend the cp pistons, but maybe cause im bias since thats what i use but its also from word of mouth from many engine builders/tuners i spoke with. when you compare the sti pistons to the cps, the sti piston rings sit so close to the top, the cp piston just looks like a much stronger design

Last edited by se0ul; 04-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by se0ul
make sure you pick out a GOOD machine shop for the measurments and matching, but then again im sure the shop you take your build to should be taking care of who does that.
This is really key. Most builds use the same or very similar components. The real difference is in the machine shop, and the diligence and attention to detail of the person doing the clearancing and assembly.

I also agree that the stock STI rods are good for most applications unless you're planning on pushing over 30-33psi. The stock rods are forged and considering how short they are, they are quite strong.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I've read that Steve teabags every engine that he assembles, to give it extra strength.
I believe my invoice did mention somewhere a 'No Charge' entry listed as 'Steve's Magical Engine Teabagging'. You now have proof Paul.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
I took mine to AutoHQ and the build cost me about 10k
What'd you have done?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Go to EQ Tuning. Pure awesomeness.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I would examine your stock block options first.

You do realize there's lots of Daily driver pump gas almost 600hp stock block sti's right? (Meth and gtr35r) With that in mind, do you really NEED a built motor?

Yeah of course one day those setups break. But then they just build the motor. If it ain't broke don't fix it

From your post I'm pretty sure this is the first high performance and modable car you've owned. I just wanna save you money that's all. Because a lot of people (including myself) have wasted $10k+ on setups that could have been accomplished with less

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those who have built engine