Those familiar with the state ref

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Car Info: .
Those familiar with the state ref

My number finally got pulled.

Anyway, I was cited for CVC 27156(b).

• How does this work, I assume I have to remove the goodies and take it to the state ref? Is there a time frame for this?

• After ref sign off, how much is the fine?

• If I don't want to go to the ref, is there just a flat fine and then we can all move on?

Edgumicate me.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 PM

remove any gauges u have as well. IIRC somebody failed because they had an aftermarket boost gauge
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
-remove your emission related mods and get it checked at the ref. there is no specific time frame for this except for when you schedule your court date. You need to be compliant before your court date and you technically you cant drive your car until compliance (per the sticker on the back of your ticket)
- the state ref is going to charge you 8.25 for the certificate, when you take your proof of correction to the court there should only be a 10 dollar dismissal fee.
- the flat fine if you don't want to go to the ref is about 509 dollars
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Wow, you got a state ref ticket? Last summer when I met you you where pretty stock IIRC. What did you do to your car since then? Thats just rediculous. What did they pull you over for?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
-remove your emission related mods and get it checked at the ref. there is no specific time frame for this except for when you schedule your court date. You need to be compliant before your court date and you technically you cant drive your car until compliance (per the sticker on the back of your ticket)
- the state ref is going to charge you 8.25 for the certificate, when you take your proof of correction to the court there should only be a 10 dollar dismissal fee.
So you can just pay $509 and be done with it? Well worth it sounds. Does that mean you are supposedly not allowed to drive you car, since its non compliant?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
remove any gauges u have as well. IIRC somebody failed because they had an aftermarket boost gauge
If I leave it in the pod, but just disconnect power and remove the T from the BPV line, will they bust my ***** over that? (It's a Defi, so its blacked out unless it has power.)

Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
I can't read the damn date the cop wrote on the ticket, will I get a courtesy notice?

$20 plus some time in labor isn't bad. $509 would be worth it if I was rotated with big injectors and such.

Originally Posted by SR20steve
Wow, you got a state ref ticket? Last summer when I met you you where pretty stock IIRC. What did you do to your car since then? Thats just rediculous. What did they pull you over for?
Basic stage 2 with a CAI and a air oil separator.

He claimed it was for window tint, but I had my windows rolled down. I wasn't speeding, he just didn't like my car. I have an APS 3", a really quiet exhaust so he didn't hear me either.

Popped the hood, he saw that damn Element tuning A/O separator and griped about that, then he saw the MBC. He didn't say anything about the red APS CAI and didn't even ask about a catalytic converter.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I used to be ref intern at the santa rosa station. This was 3 years ago but im sure alot is the same.

The truth is at least when i was in the job it was not THAT evil. Fail for a boost gauge is a joke and could have been taken to the BAR.

Cat back is not illegal just along as the cats are still installed. But, "They will know what a up pipe is so if you have one your life is harder. BUT!!! if you want to try and it looks very stock The standard smog machine and engine scanner is a esp. Very good machine but! has its limitations if you want to use programming software like engenuity you can manually set all the monitors to pass and this WILL pass on a ESP smog machine. I know first hand going this route will make your stage 2 if its all very stock looking pass. You have to ditch the intake and and take off and install you heat shield and everything why your at it.

If you have any more ? let me know.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
oh and about your oil sep. thats a no go. Why do you need that anyways?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by TylerSTI
I used to be ref intern at the santa rosa station. This was 3 years ago but im sure alot is the same.

The truth is at least when i was in the job it was not THAT evil. Fail for a boost gauge is a joke and could have been taken to the BAR.

Cat back is not illegal just along as the cats are still installed. But, "They will know what a up pipe is so if you have one your life is harder. BUT!!! if you want to try and it looks very stock The standard smog machine and engine scanner is a esp. Very good machine but! has its limitations if you want to use programming software like engenuity you can manually set all the monitors to pass and this WILL pass on a ESP smog machine. I know first hand going this route will make your stage 2 if its all very stock looking pass. You have to ditch the intake and and take off and install you heat shield and everything why your at it.

If you have any more ? let me know.
Good info, I already accepted I have to remove the exhaust/cai/mbc/a.o sep. I was more so curious about the boost gauge since it is a factory option.

I also have an EGT and oil pressure, but that should be of no concern, right?

Originally Posted by TylerSTI
oh and about your oil sep. thats a no go. Why do you need that anyways?
I know, its vented to atmosphere. STi's can get a lot of blow by, I don't want it sucked back into my intake tract.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
I'm not familiar with state ref, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Also: that sucks man, I'm sorry to hear you got popped.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
My number finally got pulled.

Anyway, I was cited for CVC 27156(b).

• How does this work, I assume I have to remove the goodies and take it to the state ref? Is there a time frame for this?

• After ref sign off, how much is the fine?

• If I don't want to go to the ref, is there just a flat fine and then we can all move on?

Edgumicate me.
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Not another i-clubber

My ticket was for $436 but I am contesting via Trial by Declaration (learn more at http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html ). I am pleading not guilty with a written statement. I was pulled over because my car fit the profile of a street racer (I was pulled over for no reason, I was not speeding or anything).

I will provide the judge with my smog certificate from 2007 when I bought the car and also written statements from my wife and my wifes father that I was coming home from his house and that I was not street racing. Hopefully the judge will rule in my favor. If I lose, I will request a Trial DeNovo and plead my case in person. If I lose again, I will just pay the fine. I have so many mods it would cost me much more to pay a shop to go back to stock and then put them all back.... not to mention the time and effort.

It took about 3 weeks to get the fine in the mail. Sorry this happened to you... looks like the state is desperate for money and pulling over everybody.

**** THE POLICE!!!! (except the cool ones )

I AM SO SICK OF ALL THESE DAMN BULL**** LAWS!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I'm not familiar with state ref, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Also: that sucks man, I'm sorry to hear you got popped.
I'm sure the Holiday Inn will be nicer than the ref.

Thanks, Mark. You pay to play, stuff happens. Coulda been worse, I could have been towed.

Time to spend some quality time in the engine bay.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
but it all back to stock and if you want to pay it off it would be like 6 somthing. i went to court and got dissmiss and only pay 10.00
Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Not another i-clubber

My ticket was for $436 but I am contesting via Trial by Declaration (learn more at http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html ). I am pleading not guilty with a written statement. I was pulled over because my car fit the profile of a street racer (I was pulled over for no reason, I was not speeding or anything).

I will provide the judge with my smog certificate from 2007 when I bought the car and also written statements from my wife and my wifes father that I was coming home from his house and that I was not street racing. Hopefully the judge will rule in my favor. If I lose, I will request a Trial DeNovo and plead my case in person. If I lose again, I will just pay the fine. I have so many mods it would cost me much more to pay a shop to go back to stock and then put them all back.... not to mention the time and effort.

It took about 3 weeks to get the fine in the mail. Sorry this happened to you... looks like the state is desperate for money and pulling over everybody.

**** THE POLICE!!!! (except the cool ones )

I AM SO SICK OF ALL THESE DAMN BULL**** LAWS!!!
That $436 fine is if you choose to leave your car as is and not visit the sate ref, correct?

What CVC were you cited for?

I agree, this state's laws are total BS. But, I knowingly broke them, so I can only be mad at myself. The circumstances in which I was pulled over were/are total crap, but it is what it is at this point.

I'm going to do the mature thing and "move" to NV and then really move to AZ. I'm done with this ****hole. Hell, even draconian NY was less 3rd Reich than here.

Thanks for the kind words, good luck in your case as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
This makes me so angry.

Quick Reply: Those familiar with the state ref