Thinking about getting a tune at GST

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
A good tune is well worth its cost. However, with a stock car you're really only going to see a change in the smoothness and responsiveness of the car, not so much a gain in power, which will probably make you feel like it wasn't worth the price. I'd wait until you have some other mods done to the car (turboback exhaust).
Old 12-20-2008, 01:35 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by I<3subie
Wow.... I'm trying to stuff my face with that bag of popcorn. To keep quiet... I'm sure to get flamed over this.

I can tell you a few things that have happen to me.

1#
I heard allot of good about a local shop. So I went to it had a dyno tune ended up in a giant mess and a blown motor and a 7 months of B.S. to get it resolved. Even so picking my car up I had yet another problem. I should have sued them. I took a better path and had my car fixed else where.

2#
Went to another shop to have parts prices change as last minute, or they just dropped the ball all togther. Sad because I really liked that shop. They are just having a huge learning curve a head of them. I'm sure they will do just great once they get those bugs worked out.

3#
Went onto another tuning shop to get dicked around because I have a rebuilt motor from the above shop. My dash has a few pieces still out, And if they do not have a perfect motor they dont tune. So if your leak down is not perfect, Time to pull and replace the engine. Well hello... No one has a "perfect 0-2% leakdown" engine. I feel that two things happen with this shop.

They were pissed I had another shop do some high $$ work and they didnt get it.
Or
They are more into replacing motors that dont really need to be replaced.
They could have had in the future done some major work for me. I was very impressed with my 1st dealings with them. But blew it on the email I got blowing me off.

I now go outside the bay area for a tune.

If I had a list of upgrades to make a path.
Fuel pump would be 1st
A good tune would be second.
Both working togther will wake your car up a bit, Also help with the lean condition that can happen from oem rom file.

Then from there you can chart in to deeper waters..... Turbo, Downpipe,

Both Ecutek and Cobb lock your ecu. You cant get in it unless you take your $800 investment off. So be aware of that. You also have a catless uppipe, So you dont need one of thoses...

If your looking for a install shop to get work done, Or just call and get some simple or complex info.. LIC Motorsports is the only place to go. The are very detailed not only in their mechanical work. But offer the best customer service and paperwork I have ever seen in the Car/Motorcycle service world.
Their place is spotless and I get daliy updates by phone and email on the progress of my service.

You can read about my car and make judgement if you like.
PM me for more details I'd be more then happy to share.

Also just as important
Results may vary,,, person to person, car to car and shop to shop.
Every shop has a bad day....

How does this apply to OP's (original poster) question? Unless you reveal names of #1,#2,and#3. Although your details are somewhat vague.

As for OP's question, you may want to check out some FAQ on engine tech forum. Also, you need to know what is your goal for STI. See, if you ask me, "what would you do"? I would give answer like this, "Install GT35 turbo, bigger injectors, manual boost control, Hydra/AP, Walbro fuel pump, perrin FMIC, Costhworth rods, pistons, cams,....and then GST tune.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 AM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
i got my car tuned it was runnin extremely lean and mike at GST fixed it to run safer and put down more power at the same time with the mods i have, its recommended if the car is no longer stock i put down 220whp and 220wtq on a 2.0 and runs a lot stronger and holds solid boost all the way the red line.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Mike is the best!

Been here for 9 years now and I can say that GST is the way to go (Ed @ EQ is really great too)
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
A lot of good advice, which is what I've come to expect from BAIC, hence why I asked the question here. The consensus seems to be that I should wait to get it tuned until after I've modded the car, so for now that's what I'll do. Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 04 STi

3#
Went onto another tuning shop to get dicked around because I have a rebuilt motor from the above shop. My dash has a few pieces still out, And if they do not have a perfect motor they dont tune. So if your leak down is not perfect, Time to pull and replace the engine. Well hello... No one has a "perfect 0-2% leakdown" engine. I feel that two things happen with this shop.

They were pissed I had another shop do some high $$ work and they didnt get it.
Or
They are more into replacing motors that dont really need to be replaced.
Or they dont want to be liable for the previous shops work.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Bingo!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Bingo!
No that was not it. They had already looked at the car looked over the engine and was working on the tune knowing it was a differant shops engine. A week went by and we couldnt get togther again and I had to take my car in to lic for the upgrades that was planned.

Everything was a go till the day before I got my car back. Then its ... Oh wait... We will charge you to fix all this stuff before we tune it.

Funny it was no problem before hand..

Doesnt matter now. Cars getting tuned from a company that has been tuning cars for a long time. They dont see any problem in my car. They have full details as well. With the whole story. No problem for them....

But anyways..
The moral is read up on everything, do your homework, talk with people at the meets, Then make a educated choice.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:50 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
No that was not it. They had already looked at the car looked over the engine and was working on the tune knowing it was a different shops engine. A week went by and we couldn't get together again and I had to take my car in to lic for the upgrades that was planned.

Everything was a go till the day before I got my car back. Then its ... Oh wait... We will charge you to fix all this stuff before we tune it.

Doesn't matter now. Cars getting tuned from a company that has been tuning cars for a long time. They don't see any problem in my car. They have full details as well. With the whole story. No problem for them....

But anyways..
The moral is read up on everything, do your homework, talk with people at the meets, Then make a educated choice.
I don't know your particular tale of sorrow; I was making a blanket statement.
As a shop owner, I can't tell you the number of customer's I've had over the years that have been screwed over; fake/altered/bull**** dyno sheets after "tuning", broken engines after being tuned, etc.

It sucks, but sometimes I turn the project down as the owner simply does not have the resources to fix the car.

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 12-20-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
No that was not it. They had already looked at the car looked over the engine and was working on the tune knowing it was a differant shops engine. A week went by and we couldnt get togther again and I had to take my car in to lic for the upgrades that was planned.

Doesnt matter now. Cars getting tuned from a company that has been tuning cars for a long time. They dont see any problem in my car. They have full details as well. With the whole story. No problem for them....

But anyways..
Or perhaps they got data on the engine health directly from another shop and needed to make sure that your expectations for the power production and longevity of the engine are realistic considering the leakdown results are significantly out of spec.

For everyone's reference, when a car comes into EQ Tuning for a custom tune and has had major work done elsewhere and/or exhibits irregular issues, we always require a compression and leakdown test to be performed before moving forward. With the results in hand we can then discuss the customer's goals and expectations and decide weather or not they are realistic.

A healthy motor should of course stay healthy with a good tune. But if the results show potential problems, we explain to the customer that we can go ahead with the tune and keep the engine running as long as possible as long as they fully understand and agree that we cannot take responsibility in case of engine failure. Some customers go ahead with the tune under these conditions, others choose to try to get work done under warranty, others go back to the shop that caused the issues to try to get them resolved, and others have us look further into the issues and make the necessary repairs. All of these options are perfectly acceptable as long as there is a mutual understanding of the potential issues and risks involved.

In reality, those customers who have issues and still choose to go ahead with the tune almost always continue to run their cars for a very long time with no further problems or damage. The point, however, is that this is not something I can guarantee and take liability for under such circumstances. I think this is a pretty simple concept and in general a good business practice that no one has had issues with previously. If other shops don't follow the same approach, that's their prerogative to run their business as they choose. We have these guidelines in place to maintain a certain standard of quality and to make sure our customers have realistic expectations given their current situation.

I wish you luck with whatever route you choose for your car.

Thanks

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 12-20-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Wow.. that a whole lot of editing..

Ed.. I didnt bring your name into, So you brought yourself into it.
Your crying because I have spent money elsewhere and have a "other shop" engine.

I told you that I dont trust that engine any more then I can throw it. Its been problems since I picked it up. On the last deadline I gave them. Was like 11pm at night. Stalling car, Same **** tune that blew the car up in the first place, Bad fuel injector from them, Torn cv axle boot. But remeber "mr. tuner" that night you told me it was stalling from the act flywheel. Ah I think not.. All this and more from a simple turbo install gone wrong.

What can I do? Really?

Take my car back a 10th time?
Sue them? I should have... I never got paid back for my 3 month rental, or all the B.S. of dealing with my problems.

Or move on. I chose to move on.
My feelings about the engine they did are backed up by what the good comp numbers but sightly questionable leakdown in one cylinder. Not every car is perfect. I am sure you have tuned many cars that you have had no leak down no comp numbers and were a hell of allot worse.

it would probably be best for you to seek tuning elsewhere.
You blew me off when you could have had my money.... Money to fix the car or money to drop a cosworth long block. Your cherry picking customers. Its going to be very rough starting for a new location. Even more so with todays economy. Those cherrys go away after a while...
I was shocked at your customer service after having a very good time talking and hanging out with you after you looked over my car and started to tune it that night.
I honestly hope we can get past this and still do business together.
I have found the only shop that will ever touch my cars mechanical side. And have come to find yet another outstanding shop to tune it.
And I was just a little pissed I have to spend 1k to tow my car there? Yes... But I have learned you pay for quality customer service. One thing I have no problem paying at all!!!

I was talking about the email at diner the other night, I was kinds mad about it. Was so excited to get you to tune my car. Then slap in the face..

Just for the record. But I dont buy cheap parts. Nothing is even close to ebay. Quality parts like APS and Cosworth, RPS, Whiteline, Cusco,

You really do not owe my car or my money anything but Quality Customer Service. Everything else falls into place once you have that!

As far as this thread goes.. I am done! Anyone want details I'll share them via pm or at one of the many meets I go too.

Last edited by I<3subie; 12-20-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling check
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
I have a GST conservative tune....and also a blown motor. Go figure, Im going with ED next time just my $0.02. I don't necessarily think that it was GST's fault, just Subaru's fault for making such a crappy motor (USDM EJ257).
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
wow this place has some really harsh words! Let him choose and and stop talking bad about tuners in the bay. I really like someone but thats cause I like everything that he does.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
What does there always have to be whining?
Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Car Info: .
Name:  normal_105here_for_the_gang_bang.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  23.0 KB

Sucks there can't be constructive reviews without **** slinging.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a tune at GST