Are these coilovers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 AM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
Originally Posted by darkonion

I drove from Fontana to Fremont in a single straight shot with technicatech on my Stance GR+ with higher spring rates, on my race set-up, and that rode just fine (though my parents would say otherwise).

What type of criteria are you using to determine "levels" of coilovers? What criteria/results makes your Zeal's perform better than KW or vice versa?
I have driven on my suspension from Irvine to SF a couple of times , it was ok with me not to much with my friends lol. I'm basing this theory of levels off of how comfortable and how many people use them to track/daily on. Generally more people use KW's to daily then Zeal coilovers. Actually come to think about it more people seem to run KW's in general over zeal's.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
I have driven on my suspension from Irvine to SF a couple of times , it was ok with me not to much with my friends lol. I'm basing this theory of levels off of how comfortable and how many people use them to track/daily on. Generally more people use KW's to daily then Zeal coilovers. Actually come to think about it more people seem to run KW's in general over zeal's.
Yeah. I am trying to make a point. I am not calling you out or anything, but there's a lot of this is better than that. Or this is absolutely the best, or this rides well, etc. The thing is... everyone says that their suspension rocks, or rides well, or handles well. Compared to what?? Catch my drift?

I've found that suspension is affected by a gazillion factors... Your ride height, your camber/alignment, your set-up, tire/wheel size, your tire compound, suspension braces, etc. Pretty much everything...

I guess my point is... you can't really say that one set-up is better than the other unless you denote what the difference is. So... maybe in this case, you might say, "I think my Zeal's are better geared toward autosports than the KW's. They seem to be more crisp. The handling is much more responsive. I think that is because of the higher spring rates and the pillowball camber plates, etc."
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 AM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
Originally Posted by darkonion
Yeah. I am trying to make a point. I am not calling you out or anything, but there's a lot of this is better than that. Or this is absolutely the best, or this rides well, etc. The thing is... everyone says that their suspension rocks, or rides well, or handles well. Compared to what?? Catch my drift?

I've found that suspension is affected by a gazillion factors... Your ride height, your camber/alignment, your set-up, tire/wheel size, your tire compound, suspension braces, etc. Pretty much everything...

I guess my point is... you can't really say that one set-up is better than the other unless you denote what the difference is. So... maybe in this case, you might say, "I think my Zeal's are better geared toward autosports than the KW's. They seem to be more crisp. The handling is much more responsive. I think that is because of the higher spring rates and the pillowball camber plates, etc."
It definitely depends on what other modifications are done to your car etc etc also depends on how it is driven , style of driving etc. If you throw a driver who is use to oversteer in a car that tends to understeer it just wouldn't be the same right?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
if you are looking at BC, I would get the ER series. Much better than the BR for 400 bucks more
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 99 Porsche 996
if u dun care about dampening adjustment or camber adjustment's i.e with camber plates.. for a straight street set-up i recommend the eibach setup... the valving is very US road friendly and the springs rates are good. my mom even thought the car rode smooth for a lowered car when i had them in my car..and its cheeper then the bc.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
hey save up and get the kw or even better the RCE tarmac 2s. They are worth every penny. The bcs are decent but for that price I'd just get springs(RCE blacks, yellow, or Swift) and save the rest until i could get a good set of coils. for example I am saving up right now for TIC SSts( revalved AST 4100s).
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
or you can send out your struts to feal suspension and they will rebuild the struts to eliminate the clunk
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
It definitely depends on what other modifications are done to your car etc etc also depends on how it is driven , style of driving etc. If you throw a driver who is use to oversteer in a car that tends to understeer it just wouldn't be the same right?
Absolutely. Driver preferences is just as important as any other item.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by indolegend89
hey save up and get the kw or even better the RCE tarmac 2s. They are worth every penny. The bcs are decent but for that price I'd just get springs(RCE blacks, yellow, or Swift) and save the rest until i could get a good set of coils. for example I am saving up right now for TIC SSts( revalved AST 4100s).
yeah i was looking at the T2's only down side is they do not come with top hats.

or you can send out your struts to feal suspension and they will rebuild the struts to eliminate the clunk
How much do they charge? I was quoted $460 including shipping for a shop in SoCal. but for that price I would want to just buy something new. The clunk makes me not want to drive my car lol. Iv'e just been driving my accord recently Ive put like 1,000 miles in 2 months on my STi hahaha

The car will be a DD that is "spirited" driven and plan to track once a year because my neighbors wife drives for Audi and I can get a free track day.
Also thanks for all of the input its all very much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Snoopy408; 11-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by Jodice112
You could always go for the RCE yellows + Feal revalved struts.
this is my current setup and it rocks. DD is super smooth and does way better around the lake compared to a couple people i know with BC.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
personally liked the rce T1's
talk to LGT Mark on here about those.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Car Info: Sti 05
Just wondering how about teins???
Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by Jaister
Just wondering how about teins???
I had Tein Flexes on my '05 STi and they were too stiff for me. It didn't have any body and the handling was pretty good. I just wouldn't get them again for the street.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I got bc br coilovers because they were 700$ with less than 10kmiles on them and I've had no problems with reliability with about 40-50k on them now...

around fast, tight corners the inside rear tire can lift and the car kinda skips but otherwise I really like them

I've also got sti lca, whiteline alk and a rear sway bar/endlinks so my car has a weird setup with excellent turn in but powering out isn't as easy...

I probably won't buy them again if that helps, want something that has more rebound but similar body roll characteristics, I hate the floaty feeling
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
^^^ haha makes me not want to get them.

Originally Posted by nation
this is my current setup and it rocks. DD is super smooth and does way better around the lake compared to a couple people i know with BC.
did you get the tarmac for the RCE's when you had them re valved? Do you feel that the $475 is worth it?

For about $200 more you could get a new set of D-specs or something along those lines. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Are these coilovers worth it?