Are these coilovers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Arrow Are these coilovers worth it?

I was thinking about picking up a set of the BC BR series coilovers with camber plates all around and the swift spring option.
I was quoted a price in between 1400-1500.
Worth it?
I have done a good amount of research. So please dont say search.
I know there is a huge thread on NASIOC about them but no one has really talked about the swift spring option with them and the thread has kinda been dead for a while.
Any thoughts or experience with these is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

ANY WAY TO MOVE THIS THREAD? (to Bay Area or Suspension)

Last edited by Snoopy408; 11-05-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
What kind of driving are you planning on doing once you get the new suspension? Daily Driver, Auto-X, Track, other?

What are you looking to get out of the setup? Ride Quality, Performance Oriented, Low Ride Height, other?
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
a properly setup coil/strut/swaybar combo will be cheaper and handle better than cheap coilovers.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Car Info: Reason
if all you care about is a hellaflush setup, and ride quality isn't a concern, then by all means buy that stuff. if you want a coilover setup that actually offers a performance benefit, you could probably find a set of used KW V3 in that price range. will you be able to dump your car? no - but, you also won't end up hating life and having to drive your performance vehicle like a grandma to keep from scraping everywhere.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
im on kw v3's and they're great. Even though my car is like 2 inches off the ground (temporary) lol
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT Ltd.
Aren't BC's just restamped Megans?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM

First of all i dont know why i posted this here, i obviously must have clicked new thread in the classified page instead of bay area. oh well (Can it be moved?)
Originally Posted by buzzword
if all you care about is a hellaflush setup, and ride quality isn't a concern, then by all means buy that stuff. if you want a coilover setup that actually offers a performance benefit, you could probably find a set of used KW V3 in that price range. will you be able to dump your car? no - but, you also won't end up hating life and having to drive your performance vehicle like a grandma to keep from scraping everywhere.
Im not looking for a hella flush set up. My car is basically stock and two of my struts have the "clunk" and need to be replaced.
The BC's are adjustable and i would not put them at their lowest setting if i were to pick them up.
I know that "$1,000 coilovers are a waste of $" but when reading through the thread on NASIOC they seem like they are not complete ****. and with the swift springs on them, are the struts really that bad?

How much are the KW's new? like 2 K?

Originally Posted by nation
a properly setup coil/strut/swaybar combo will be cheaper and handle better than cheap coilovers.
I was thinking about that option
such as a RCE, D-spec, Group N sort of deal or something along those lines all of that new is about the same price all said and done tho no?

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
You could always go for the RCE yellows + Feal revalved struts.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
First of all i dont know why i posted this here, i obviously must have clicked new thread in the classified page instead of bay area. oh well (Can it be moved?)

Im not looking for a hella flush set up. My car is basically stock and two of my struts have the "clunk" and need to be replaced.
The BC's are adjustable and i would not put them at their lowest setting if i were to pick them up.
I know that "$1,000 coilovers are a waste of $" but when reading through the thread on NASIOC they seem like they are not complete ****. and with the swift springs on them, are the struts really that bad?

such as a RCE, D-spec, Group N sort of deal or something along those lines all of that new is about the same price all said and done tho no?

Thanks for the input!
kw's are around 2-2.5k depending where you buy em. Bc coils arnt bad at all. Its a cheap yet fine coilovers that a lot of subaru owners use.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I'm happy with my Stance GR+
Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
kw's are around 2-2.5k depending where you buy em. Bc coils arnt bad at all. Its a cheap yet fine coilovers that a lot of subaru owners use.
okay, yeah thats what i saw from a quick search.
See a lot of people are happy with them and say good things, so how come people like buzz think they are such crap?

Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
I'm happy with my Stance GR+
what are these comparable too? i just saw another member pick them up for about 1200. spring rates? drop?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
My friend and brother actually just recently bought BC coils , not sure how well they are though neither of them have fully installed them yet but if they finish before you purchase coilovers i will let you know how they ride. Also I am running Zeal coilovers on the same level or above KW's and they ride pretty well but you don't need anything this aggressive for street driving , even if you have "spiritual" drives its not really worth it. I suggest HKS hypermax III coilovers , my friend has them on his S2000 and I rode with him back from Vegas to SF and they ride very comfortably and handle very well.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by flukewrx
What kind of driving are you planning on doing once you get the new suspension? Daily Driver, Auto-X, Track, other?

What are you looking to get out of the setup? Ride Quality, Performance Oriented, Low Ride Height, other?
I think this is the most important question you need to answer. The question is do you need the option to change a variety of settings on your suspension. If not, coilovers may not be for you. Do you need to be able to change ride height, camber, dampening, etc.?

I think for most people, including myself, we just like to set it and forget it deal.

As for Swift springs, I've heard wonderful things about them. However, the question is, are you really going to put them to good use? That is, if you decide to buy these sets of coilovers with the upgraded springs, would you make your own $1500 worth?

The way I am thinking about it is... will your basic $700-$800 spring/shock combo do everything you need it to do, or will you need the extra functionality/performance of the $1500 set-up?

Hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by nation
Properly set-up cheap coilovers will outperform an improperly set up coil/strut/suspension anything. And a "good" coilover set up improperly can be outperformed by properly set-up anything.

Originally Posted by failure
Aren't BC's just restamped Megans?
I believe it is the other way around. Megan's are restamped BC's. Made in Taiwan biotch.

Thanks for the input!
Sounds like a coilover set-up would be overkill for you. I think you can do KYB AGX shocks + springs (or another combo), and be perfectly happy with it. Here's a few pro's of shock and springs combo's. 1. better quality shocks, properly valved for our ****ty streets. 2. lifetime warranty on the shocks 3. less adjustment possibilities, but you don't have to tinker with camber/height/etc., little bit easier to set up and be done with.

The con: you just don't have as many bells and whistles to fumble with. (Kind of a two way street.)

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
I've seen the KW's for less. A guy at HIN (back sometime) quoted $1900 for my car out-the-door. Remember, though, that KW V3's do not come with mounts/camber plates. However... it's a pretty solid set-up. Very good shock. Excellent valving. I've been told that it's very versatile. You have a good range to use a variety of spring rates. Also, the lifetime warranty is a big plus!

Originally Posted by aznpride65o
My friend and brother actually just recently bought BC coils , not sure how well they are though neither of them have fully installed them yet but if they finish before you purchase coilovers i will let you know how they ride. Also I am running Zeal coilovers on the same level or above KW's and they ride pretty well but you don't need anything this aggressive for street driving , even if you have "spiritual" drives its not really worth it. I suggest HKS hypermax III coilovers , my friend has them on his S2000 and I rode with him back from Vegas to SF and they ride very comfortably and handle very well.
I drove from Fontana to Fremont in a single straight shot with technicatech on my Stance GR+ with higher spring rates, on my race set-up, and that rode just fine (though my parents would say otherwise).

What type of criteria are you using to determine "levels" of coilovers? What criteria/results makes your Zeal's perform better than KW or vice versa?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 AM

I was thinking about picking up a set of the BC BR series coilovers with camber plates all around and the swift spring option.
I was quoted a price in between 1400-1500.
Worth it?
I have done a good amount of research. So please dont say search.
I know there is a huge thread on NASIOC about them but no one has really talked about the swift spring option with them and the thread has kinda been dead for a while.
Any thoughts or experience with these is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

ANY WAY TO MOVE THIS THREAD? (to Bay Area or Suspension)
Back to your original question.

Price wise, it depends. New BC's are like what? $1300.
Swift springs, another $300-$400.
Rear camber plates, another $300.

If you can put the coilovers (ride height adjustability, dampening, camber), the rear camber plates, and Swift springs to use, then yeah, I think it is a good deal, depending on what level of use the coilovers had.

Else, me, personally, I'd find a more cost effective solution.

Quick Reply: Are these coilovers worth it?