Thank god my friend is alive (IRAQ incident)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Post Thank god my friend is alive (IRAQ incident)

I'm sure there are people here who know at least 1 person whos gone to Iraq. Maybe some of you support the war but I for one don't, Bush can go die in an acid bath for all I f***ing care. Anyways I'll get on to what happened to my best friend Joey who I've been friends with ever since pre-school..... literally, we grew up together.
Well right now he's 21 and its been his 2nd time in Iraq. Last Sunday I get a call from his mom saying he was involved in some incident where his leg was broken but she didn't know all the details yet just that he was taken to Germany where all the injured go. So this morning at 6:30am right after I woke up I get a phone call..... "hey its Joey". I was so glad to hear him, and he told me what happened. When in Iraq his group had a few hummers and they had to make a stop along the roadway. While stopped traffic was just going by like normal. Then he said all of a sudden this red SUV with 1 guy driving sped up and swerved at them. When the SUV was no more than 10 feet away from where they were standing it blew up in a huge explosion. This sent scrapnel flying and a piece of copper hit his leg, it shattered part of his fibia leaving a hole in his leg about the size of a quarter. As of now he's in Maryland waiting for surgery and will be stationed in North Carolina for recovery till December (hopefully). Its expected the injury will take 6 months to heal, but who knows really.
I just thought I should post this cause I keep hearing different people saying **** about the war when I'm at school like in Political science I got this jackass marine recruit guy about my age who thinks he's some invincible tough guy. I think the situation is really getting out of hand and we really shouldnt be over there. There will never be peace in that region and we shouldn't have our people over there dying for a conflict thats been going on since biblical times. Just somethin for yall to think about, that is all.

-Jeff
Old 10-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Underpants Gnome

Car Info: 1.4 Ford Fiesta
Good to hear your friend is alright, id probably crap my pants if I saw a suburban swerving towards me, let alone one with a bomb!

Luckily my friend got back safely from Iraq, he was at Bagdad airport during the first raids :O
Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Hey Jeff, very sad story to hear about your friend,

but I do not know why you are so angry at the ppl in your political science class... there are many different views on the war in iraq, and for you to just flame him because he supports it is stupid. On top of that you should be greatful for him because he has volunteered to join the marine corps and could be side by side with your friend in the future. PPL Like him are why there isn't a draft going on...so next time you want to tell him to shut up, remember that. That class is there to discuss political issues and to hear each side of the story, but you probably dont care because your to busy making jokes about how bush talks funny and messes up in his speeches,

Also why should bush be burried in an acid bath? because he stood up for America? Being the President isn't an easy task which everyone thinks it is. Seems that all you liberals are just so mad that a republican is in office, if it was democrat you would all be happier... but im sorry, Iraq is a country that was lead by a tyrant, who chops off ppl's hands if they convert american currency, who kills ppl who disagree with him and for damn sure had WMD's, im glad we took him out of power. war is not perfect, you ppl who expected this to end in 6 months are unrealistic, and do not understand what is going on over there. Terrorists are a disease which broke out largely over the past couple of years, Bush is doing his job to kill it. I'll be damned if there will be a day where ppl can't go on a public bus, without the fear of some guy strapping a bomb to his chest, or the fear that we can't go to a baseball game without the left field bleechers being blown up. Our country was at risk from terrorist of which the majority come from the middle east, better to fight them in iraq, than on US soil...

Quit believing your tree hugging teachers who only talk about the left in their class, who praise liberal idea's and brainwash their students by ONLY saying the wrongs the right has done... Its a whole lot more complicated than you think. and Bush is doing the right thing, on top of that... if you think Kerry will do so much better... YEAH RIGHT that guy wants to pull out of iraq and let the UN take over 100%... BS, if that happens those 1082 US soldiers lives and 7532 wounded will be for a cause which was watered down near the finish line... and Kerry wont even fund the resources needed for the military to get the job done right. = BUSH CHENEY
Old 10-14-2004, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SsTiNgEr77

but I do not know why you are so angry at the ppl in your political science class... there are many different views on the war in iraq, and for you to just flame him because he supports it is stupid. On top of that you should be greatful for him because he has volunteered to join the marine corps and could be side by side with your friend in the future. PPL Like him are why there isn't a draft going on...so next time you want to tell him to shut up, remember that. That class is there to discuss political issues and to hear each side of the story, but you probably dont care because your to busy making jokes about how bush talks funny and messes up in his speeches,

Also why should bush be burried in an acid bath? because he stood up for America? Being the President isn't an easy task which everyone thinks it is. Seems that all you liberals are just so mad that a republican is in office, if it was democrat you would all be happier... but im sorry, Iraq is a country that was lead by a tyrant, who chops off ppl's hands if they convert american currency, who kills ppl who disagree with him and for damn sure had WMD's, im glad we took him out of power. war is not perfect, you ppl who expected this to end in 6 months are unrealistic, and do not understand what is going on over there. Terrorists are a disease which broke out largely over the past couple of years, Bush is doing his job to kill it. I'll be damned if there will be a day where ppl can't go on a public bus, without the fear of some guy strapping a bomb to his chest, or the fear that we can't go to a baseball game without the left field bleechers being blown up. Our country was at risk from terrorist of which the majority come from the middle east, better to fight them in iraq, than on US soil...

Quit believing your tree hugging teachers who only talk about the left in their class, who praise liberal idea's and brainwash their students by ONLY saying the wrongs the right has done... Its a whole lot more complicated than you think. and Bush is doing the right thing, on top of that... if you think Kerry will do so much better... YEAH RIGHT that guy wants to pull out of iraq and let the UN take over 100%... BS, if that happens those 1082 US soldiers lives and 7532 wounded will be for a cause which was watered down near the finish line... and Kerry wont even fund the resources needed for the military to get the job done right. = BUSH CHENEY
First of all I know why you have your views since you are involved in the service correct? I'm not in any way putting down people that risk their lives for our country thats totally awesome of them. And yea I could care less how Bush speaks in his speeches, actions are louder than words. Of course I know the Iraq issue is compicated I don't feel Bush took that into account enough, our worlds nations are at a delicate point as of now. And you need to quit putting words in my mouth, I NEVER said the war would end in 6 months or that Kerry would do a better job. Anyways I just wanted to expain what happened and my opinion on the whole thing. I'm trying to respect your opinion but you seem to just be throwing out ideas I never even stated. I can say whatever the **** I want and your no one to tell me otherwise. I'm all down to hear peoples opinions in my Political Science class but that dude in my class has such a stubborn attitude he really thinks nothing will happen to him when he goes over there, not really taking into consideration how fragile the human body is....oh well to each his own. And lastly, if you've ever taken a Human Ecology class which I have, you should know why these "tree huggers" are so concerned, they're trying to look out for the lives of everybody just like Bush wants to protect us with the armed forces.

Last edited by stg2lgcy00; 10-14-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline

You watch too much O'reilly. If you think the current situation in Iraq was and is a cut-and-dry good thing, you are an idiot. I reccomend doing some research before posting nosence like that. How is Bush going to war the "right" thing considering he did it under false pretenses (WMD.) There may have been some good reasons to go to war, but not all of them proved to be true or verifable. Then you make it moronic claim that Bush has gone about it in the right way. Apperantly you have closed your eyes and ears to the recent reports from former and present cabinet member officials that point at that Bush went with enough people to win the war, but no where near enough to win the piece. You may want to peruse the politics forum since many of your claims are proven incorrect there. But nay, you probably won't because that won't support your confirmation bias.

-Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Good post sstinger, and rebuttals from you other guys.

Can most of us agree on the fact that the war was started with the best of intentions, to remove a dictator and eliminate a breeding ground for terrorists. Perhaps the WMD intelligence was wrong, but the pres didn't lie, the Brit's thought he had WMD's too.

I bet we can also agree on the fact that the plan over there hasn't been the most successful that could've been used, but taking over and rebuilding a nation isn't easy.

Jeff, glad to hear your friend survived, I appreciate guys like him more than I can say with words. <political bait> He'll get a real purple heart, instead of the 3 that Kerry has for mosquito bites and scratches. </bait>
Old 10-14-2004, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX
Don't forget the UN inspectors thought he had WMD's also.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:19 PM

Car Info: '06 RBP Impreza 2.5i
I'd just like to add that before this thread turns into another neverending political debacle. That we should not defer from the main topic and thank GOD (or whomever) that these brave men and women, like Jeff's friend, are comin' out of this mess alive.

Karl
Old 10-14-2004, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kitsune713
I'd just like to add that before this thread turns into another neverending political debacle. That we should not defer from the main topic and thank GOD (or whomever) that these brave men and women, like Jeff's friend, are comin' out of this mess alive.

Karl
W3RD... I'd be devastated if my friend never got to make it home.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Can most of us agree on the fact that the war was started with the best of intentions, to remove a dictator and eliminate a breeding ground for terrorists. Perhaps the WMD intelligence was wrong, but the pres didn't lie, the Brit's thought he had WMD's too.
Hitler started expanding the **** empire and initiated the holocaust with good intentions too. Doesn't mean it was a good idea. The president is an idiot who rushed to war without fully examining the rammifications to his actions. I feel no sympathy for him, a man like him has no buisness being president.

Jeff I'm glad your friend made it out alright. One of my friends got called up from the reserves and sent to Iraq, he made it back ok thankfully. I sincerely hope all the soldiers do.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I'm not going to get into it, all I want to say is I too have friends who I've known since pre-school (3 years old) and they are like brothers to me. I can imagine what that call must have been like and I am glad your friend is ok. Many don't share the wonderful gift we have of friends we've known that long and care that much about, cherish it man, I know I do.

Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Car Info: White 04 Sti
Originally Posted by mexicanpizza
Good post sstinger, and rebuttals from you other guys.

I bet we can also agree on the fact that the plan over there hasn't been the most successful that could've been used, but taking over and rebuilding a nation isn't easy.

Jeff, glad to hear your friend survived, I appreciate guys like him more than I can say with words. <political bait> He'll get a real purple heart, instead of the 3 that Kerry has for mosquito bites and scratches. </bait>
The war with Iraq is not for good intentions. The main purpose of the war in Iraq is about WMDs. That was why Powell went to the UN. Though, Rumsfeld in 2002 said himself that "Iraq did not have the capabilities or the means to produce chemical and biological weapons". And a year later the Bush administration and the intelligence said Iraq had stockpiles of them?

Iraq under Saddam was actually NOT a breeding ground for terrorists. He may had met with Al Qaida but he refused them to set up camp there. I agree that Iraq is better off without Saddam but now it IS a place for terrorists breeding because the US Army, freedom, liberty is there and they have a better chance fighting us there than in the US.

I totally support the troops there. We are here because they protect us. But I think our troops are dying for poor reasoning from Bush and his administration. They should better utilize our troops capabilities when we were in Afganistan for the initial war.

I really hope the faster we get out of Iraq the better. I pray for the safety of our troops often and hope this nightmare will end very soon.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:57 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
Wheter you agree with the war or not the commander and chief has placed a mission in iraq, and the armed services are obligated to finish that mission. Yeah i kno that sounds like something a army recruiter would tell you. But its the truth. If they pulled all our tropps from the sandbox right now, I wouldn't be sad. But the sad truth is that we started it and we have to finish it. I dont even remember why were in there. All i remember was some stupid 48hr altimatum. We went in there without a plan. now we are paying the price. The army alone is looking for 100k plus more soldiers. or at least thats what the army told me
The government has a way of mis potraying things such in this war. You remember jessica lynch? She was no hero. She was someone who didn't give a remember her training and it almost got her killed. Her weapon jammed becusase it was dirty. She didn't kno her land nav. my point is that don't listen to everything the media or governmente tells you.

I'm glad your friend is doing well. hopefully it will end soon for all of us.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:05 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
yeah i am glad that your friend is doing well...like prolly a bunch of us here, i too have some friends fighting over there, one who goes out and dismantles landmines (which i was like WTF! are you insane, why'd you choose that?!?), but hey yeah "f*&k" bush, but support our troops

- daniel
Old 10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

and do not understand what is going on over there.
Hmm, let me see here. Last time my friend was on leave he brought home his laptop with 1000+ photos from over there and spent hours on end discussing the situation on more than one occasion. I guess I'm just totally clueless about the whole ordeal right?

Quick Reply: Thank god my friend is alive (IRAQ incident)