Talk me out of a Blouch 16G-XT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Isn't the 30 ball on one side?
From what I remember it is one on one side and not a true ball bearing turbo like the 34. It's served me well over the years.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Originally Posted by Lowend
I have no intention of changing injectors
Why not just stay stock and save your money then? You will need a tune after swapping your turbo and without having the injectors to support the extra flow it just seems like a waste to me. For the money your going to pay for a 16gxt you could have a couple of spare stockers sitting on the shelf with extra money for other mods.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
It sounds like he's just trying to replace a turbo that has an issue. Why take out VF39's with known issues to replace them with another USED VF39 that probably already has the issue or soon will?
Because he could pick up a low mileage VF43 or VF48 which do not tend to crack nearly as often as the VF39. He could also pick that turbo up for a fraction of the cost of the 16G-XT. Since he's not looking for more power and wants response, this is the cheapest and simplest option.

From my understanding the XTR should spool better than a 39 and flow a little better. Isn't a 39 around 450/475CFM? The 16g xtr is around 535?
The 16G-XTR does not spool faster than a VF turbo. It spools a bit slower and can make a bit more power up top.

Just going off my memory here so I could be wrong. And injector duty cycle would depend on the tune?
IDC depends on the tune, but ultimately it depends on the potential flow of the turbo, the max flow of the fuel system, and the safe a/f ratio range for the engine, setup, and fuel being used. Just about any "stage 2" STI with stock injectors is in the 95-97% IDC range unless you taper off a bunch of boost and power on the top end.

So my point is why would you go with a more expensive, larger, and slower spooling turbo without being able to take advantage of the additional power potential it would provide? Doesn't make too much sense to IMHO.

Also, I've seen a major lack of consistency from Blouch lately. Some turbos perform well, while others of the same model either spool extremely slowly and/or don't make power.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Because he could pick up a low mileage VF43 or VF48 which do not tend to crack nearly as often as the VF39. He could also pick that turbo up for a fraction of the cost of the 16G-XT. Since he's not looking for more power and wants response, this is the cheapest and simplest option.

IDC depends on the tune, but ultimately it depends on the potential flow of the turbo, the max flow of the fuel system, and the safe a/f ratio range for the engine, setup, and fuel being used. Just about any "stage 2" STI with stock injectors is in the 95-97% IDC range unless you taper off a bunch of boost and power on the top end.
+1 to what Ed said. Even the simple Stage 2 running VF turbo will benefit on slightly bigger injectors. On Cobb Stage 2 my IDC were 100% on ACN91. Just find a VF in good condition. There are places that rebuild them also.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Ok - so this begs the next question: are people still doing the Injector mod or has that fallen from grace?
I'm seeing most side feeds for ~$600/set which I would obviously rather spend elsewhere on the car
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Ok - so this begs the next question: are people still doing the Injector mod or has that fallen from grace?
I'm seeing most side feeds for ~$600/set which I would obviously rather spend elsewhere on the car
Please don't do the cheap injector mod! You risk ending up with very uneven flow accords cylinders.

-- Ed
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'll talk to Mike again and see if I should just buck-up and buy injectors (telling myself, trust your tuner).
I'm bleeding money all over this car again, so why not an extra $500 for a set of DW 740's <sigh>

Ed, I know your steering me the right direction... and I swear at some point I will actually buy something from you.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Don't worry about buying from me. I'm just trying to give you good advice.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I'll talk to Mike again and see if I should just buck-up and buy injectors (telling myself, trust your tuner).
I'm bleeding money all over this car again, so why not an extra $500 for a set of DW 740's <sigh>

Ed, I know your steering me the right direction... and I swear at some point I will actually buy something from you.
Do yourself a favor and do not buy "douche"works injectors, there are far better ones out there
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Car Info: http://goo.gl/XpkO0b & '99 SF 'S'
Originally Posted by Overbear

Do yourself a favor and do not buy "douche"works injectors, there are far better ones out there
Uh, I'm running douchbag injectors 1000cc with out any issues on my car, so do have a personal experience that is negative you care to share?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by WRXncrew
Uh, I'm running douchbag injectors 1000cc with out any issues on my car, so do have a personal experience that is negative you care to share?
Not direct because I am not willing to risk it. When you start looking around on the net and find 1 out of every 2 installs has problems, bad injectors, etc... its not WORTH the risk.

In fact, you are the first to say you have not had problems in all the research I have done to date. That should tell you something...you got lucky.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Overbear
Not direct because I am not willing to risk it. When you start looking around on the net and find 1 out of every 2 installs has problems, bad injectors, etc... its not WORTH the risk.

In fact, you are the first to say you have not had problems in all the research I have done to date. That should tell you something...you got lucky.
I guess I will be the second to say I didn't have any problems with my DWs (750cc?) when I had my WRX (along with 20G and other supporting mods).
Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Just spent about 10 minutes looking at reviews for these injectors...

The 1000 cc injectors were pretty close to what overbear said. 50/50.

The 850's and under... for the most part pretty positive reviews.

I'm thinking that maybe Overbear's experience might be out dated? I know early on they were recycling used injectors to build from but for the last 4 or 5 years they've all been new denso cores. Far as I know.

I'd have zero issues running the 6's or 7's on my car. In fact... probably will. LOL!

I've read some good things about ID's and Power Enterprises for the E85 guys but I don't plan on needing anything over 650cc's.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
I have 850's now, and 565's before and haven't had any issues either.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Ive ran 3 different sets of DW's, no problems on any of mine

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Blouch 16G-XT-R